JapanForum.com

JapanForum.com (https://www.japanforum.com/forum/)
-   Anime & Manga (https://www.japanforum.com/forum/anime-manga/)
-   -   Opinions Needed on Manga Project (https://www.japanforum.com/forum/anime-manga/27831-opinions-needed-manga-project.html)

Columbine 09-22-2009 10:01 PM

To be honest, I hate those covers. They absolutely ~scream~ "cheap Ameri-manga trying too hard". Also, you're trying to sell what boils down to an autobiography. As far as I feel as a consumer, I'm only going to buy the life story of someone if a) I've actually heard of them before (which in this case, I haven't) and b) If I haven't, and I'm paying, there's something truly outstanding about their life. "My Sister's Keeper", for example.

With all respect to you, because I can see it's a lot of work and takes a lot of courage to launch something like this, I think I've seen this exact sort of story before, many times. What's more i've seen it for free with better presentation. There is absolutely no way i'd put money on this product.

In another respect, it just doesn't appeal to me personally. As a character you say is 22, that image on the cover just isn't believable to me (I'm 22). 'Ninjababeez?" "Ninjaness"; they sound like names for Bratz dolls. I'm not interested in that. If i'm going to read about a 22 year old, in a 'real-life' story, i want to see something actually approaching the real-life of a 22-year-old, not adventures in pre-teen cartoons (which i realize is a bizarre thing to have to say, considering this is supposed to be an auto-biography).
What I mean to say is, books for 13 year olds star 13 year olds, and books for post-grads star people 22-30. This almost feels like a book for young teens with an over-aged character in it.

I didn't finish the blurb because I lost interest with all your little copy-marks and the vagueness of the blurb. It feels like a sell; a frame to pitch merchandise from and that's hugely off-putting. It isn't even polished enough to pretend it isn't a sell! Some of the most popular anime around are exactly that; props to advertise the merch, but it's so well done most people don't mind.

Finally, you say that "It's suppose to be unique in its own way as well as the art style format, etc." but that's only well and good if it doesn't look naff. Also, manga fans don't necessarily have degrees in art appreciation. We buy manga if it looks pretty, not because it's art for arts sake. Cubism is wonderful in it's rightful place, but it would make Sailor Moon look pretty unappealing. I'm glad that you're being supported so well by a network, but don't be blinkered by them either. They're not the people who will be buying. That will be the general public, and we WILL categorize, and compare, whatever the 'artists' think. Moreover, There are only so many degrees you can step away from mainstream Japanese manga style before it stops being manga. You're still there, which is good, if that's how you want to brand, but it's clearly not Japanese, and it won't convince many people otherwise.

I hope, despite all i've said, that you get some success with your efforts. I think you've been wise to ask for comments and criticisms pre-release, and to take what's been said so far with such aplomb. Good luck, and even if it doesn't work as a strict biography, there's no reason why it can't simply be a story inspired by your own experiences. Play with it more; you're lucky to have the backing to get you there, all you really need now is the book to let them take off with.:ywave:

miyukisama 09-22-2009 10:33 PM

You know, I never said that this book was for sale, I only asked if anyone would be interested in reading or picking up an edition based on the prototype. That's what I'm trying to figure out. However, the story remains as is since it is my story and you don't have to like it. Overall, thanks for all the input, it's given me a lot of insight, and I'm determined to pursue this project to its fullest extent whether the public audience apprecates it or not. Japanese, Korean, Chinese, American manga, anime, cartoon, comics, and whatever, they are all the same to me, and I really don't care what catergory this is in. This is my story, my art work, my projects, and I'm proud of it. My collection prints are my accomplishments and people do actually buy them not because of the design but for what it stands for. Anyway, I'm open to all criticism and comments but please don't insult my work people. That just makes you an あほ!

Koir 09-22-2009 10:39 PM

You want criticism but nothing should question your work, motivations, or themes? Wrong ideas, I'm thinking.

MMM 09-22-2009 10:47 PM

Do you have any links to your collections prints? It would help get a feel for what you are doing?

miyukisama 09-22-2009 11:44 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MMM (Post 772978)
Do you have any links to your collections prints? It would help get a feel for what you are doing?

www.cafepress.com/ninjanesslogo1
www.cafepress.com/ninjanesslogo2
www.cafepress.com/ninjanesslogo3
www.cafepress.com/ninjanesslogo4
www.cafepress.com/sabishiimou1
www.cafepress.com/sabishiimou2
www.cafepress.com/sabishiimou3
www.cafepress.com/sabishiimou4
www.cafepress.com/mtmserieslogo1

MMM 09-22-2009 11:48 PM

I saw all these on the websites. I thought you had other artwork available to see.

miyukisama 09-23-2009 12:44 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MMM (Post 772984)
I saw all these on the websites. I thought you had other artwork available to see.

That would be posted on my personal myspace profile and most of the art work is sitting in my portfolio. That's fine. I'm ready to call quits on this project. I just want to draw, write stories, play my guitar, make new friends who accept me for me. I did not intend to confuse anybody and JF is less than welcoming than I thought even if I'm just starting out.

GTJ 09-23-2009 02:40 AM

Alrighty, here we go:

Quote:

Originally Posted by miyukisama
I am a full time manga artist, author, illustrator, and a Japanese-English voice actor

No you aren't. "Full-time" means you do it for at least 40 hours a week, and support yourself solely from the money you earn doing that job. Judging by the rest of this thread, and the work you have shown us, this is not the case. My advice is to not advertise as something you aren't. In the professional world, it's good to talk yourself up a little, but you have to be modest or people will resent you and look for ways to tear you down off your high horse. Just be careful.

Quote:

NinjaRokk Animations Studios
Again, you say "Animation Studios", but I doubt sincerely that such a studio exists. Actually, it says "studioS", plural, meaning there is a collection of professional studios. I've ran several searches online and have found no such company, studio, or professional group by that name.

Quote:

I just need some opinions on a manga project that I am currently working on back at my studio called Miyuki no Tokyo Monogatari Series which translates to Miyuki's Tokyo Tale. It's a story based on my life and experiences living in Tokyo, though it contains mostly fictional events.
You're asking for opinions. You're going to get them. JF is a very welcoming community, but it is also home to adults and matured individuals who will offer sincere advice and feedback (some of us are or have been professional designers, artists, illustrators, etc, including myself). I'll get to this later.

Also, to be fair, guys, she's saying it's "based" on her live and experiences, so it's probably not exactly biographical.

Quote:

I would like to know if any of you were to come across this series, by chance, would you be interested in reading it or maybe pick up a paperback copy?
"Pick up" means "buy", so when you say
Quote:

You know, I never said that this book was for sale
, what do you think you mean?

Quote:

Manga Studios and CS4 Adobe Photoshop Illustrator program that is yet to be ready for publishing:
Meaning what? You haven't finished downloading and cracking them yet?

Quote:

Anyway, I just want to know if anyone would read it based on the cover page and maybe give me some opinions on my art style, characters, storyline, etc.
You asked, we provided. And, as evidenced below, you acted like a baby about it:

Quote:

Your opinions and criticism on this project is duly noted.
I do not think that word means what you think it means. Because you are being rude.

Quote:

However, I already am aware of all this therefore that is why I am asking for a third person's opinion.
What? No you aren't! If you were already "aware" of everything I took a while to think of and type for you, then I wouldn't have had to type it in the first place and your manga would be a more respectable piece of work.

Quote:

You don't have to support this project though many of my network who appreciate art for art agree that this is unique in style and therefore shouldn't be categorized into a certain standard.
Translates as, "I don't care if you don't like it! My friends and family like it! So nyeah!!". Appreciate art for art... so I'm assuming your "network" is several teenagers like yourself who say they love art but only get to museums once every decade or so? Not many people at your age range appreciate "art for art's sake", and your manga certainly is not "art for art's sake". Again, I do not think that means what you think it means.

Quote:

Everything in this project is up for debate. That's all it is. So I won't take it personally.
lol, okay, so stop taking it personally. Everything is up for debate, you say? I just debated it and you brushed off the advice of a seasoned professional. Not smart, my friend, not smart.

Columbine, you wrote a marvelous post, one which I applaud. Your insight is fantastic and your advice is solid as a rock. Yet, unfortunately, this is where the OP starts acting like a baby...

Quote:

You know, I never said that this book was for sale, I only asked if anyone would be interested in reading or picking up an edition based on the prototype.
Yes you did. See above.

Quote:

However, the story remains as is since it is my story and you don't have to like it.
Bawww.... So don't ask for advice!

Quote:

and I'm determined to pursue this project to its fullest extent whether the public audience apprecates it or not.
"I was fishing for compliments but all I got was constructive criticism so screw you guys I'm gonna go do what I wanna do anyway!"

Quote:

Japanese, Korean, Chinese, American manga, anime, cartoon, comics, and whatever, they are all the same to me
All the same to you? Then you'd better get on that and figure out the differences, kid, cuz they are VASTLY dissimilar. "Art appreciation", eh?

Quote:

This is my story, my art work, my projects, and I'm proud of it.
Nobody said they weren't yours or you shouldn't be proud of them. We're trying to help you make them better. Apparently you only wanted us to sing your praises and tell you how awesome you are. In the real world? Not gonna happen. If you want that go to your mom, she'll always provide that kind of support. Professionals don't, and people on the internet CERTAINLY don't. JF is a much safer place than any other forum I've come across, but you need to learn to take criticism if you want to be anything more than just a kid who draws little animoo and mango pictures.

Quote:

My collection prints are my accomplishments and people do actually buy them not because of the design but for what it stands for.
"Collection prints"? What does that even mean? It's just three or four poorly drawn and Photoshopped images you took into a free merchandise-creation store on the internet and slapped onto every conceivable piece of merch you could. I did that, too, when I was like 14. Except when I did it, it was a variety of fun and interesting images. But this isn't about me, it's all about you, as you've made clear.

Quote:

Anyway, I'm open to all criticism and comments
No, you really aren't.

Quote:

but please don't insult my work people.
What a hypocritical statement. Nobody's insulting your work, you buffoon. We're giving you really good criticism and advice on how to improve. Obviously you don't want to improve, you just want people to tell you how great you are because you have a sneaking suspicion that you're stuff is not up to snuff, and you don't think you have what it takes to improve, so you want justification that how you are now is good enough to make it. Guess what?

Quote:

most of the art work is sitting in my portfolio.
It shouldn't be there. They're just logos and characters in the same pose over and over, hastily colored in Photoshop. You should be putting still lifes and life drawings, composition studies, color models, and so forth in there.

Quote:

I just want to draw, write stories, play my guitar, make new friends who accept me for me.
Stick with your local high school.

Quote:

That's fine. I'm ready to call quits on this project.
Nooooooo!!!

Quote:

That just makes you an あほ!
Wow, so now it's degraded into attacks. In Japanese. What? There's a million better things to say, instead of just words you learned from anime. How about "バカ野郎", "くそ馬鹿", or some others? I can think of about ten different ways to insult someone off the top of my head, can you? I checked out your "script" for your manga, and I have to say that another thing that needs some work, is your Japanese.

So... I think that should just about wrap it up.

Koir 09-23-2009 02:52 AM

*holds up a marshmallow-festooned branch to GTJ's post*

GTJ 09-23-2009 03:53 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Koir (Post 773013)
*holds up a marshmallow-festooned branch to GTJ's post*

Yanno, someone has to say it. I ain't about to sit around and spend my precious time offering well thought-out advice only to be treated like that. I started out giving constructive criticism and support, but my face was spat in. Now normally I wouldn't care, but she did it to several other people, including Columbine and MMM, whom I like, so... there you have it. :cool:

Can I get some of those marshmallows? :D