JapanForum.com

JapanForum.com (https://www.japanforum.com/forum/)
-   Anime & Manga (https://www.japanforum.com/forum/anime-manga/)
-   -   Anime based on Chinese history? (https://www.japanforum.com/forum/anime-manga/30654-anime-based-chinese-history.html)

SSJup81 03-01-2010 10:34 AM

Not sure if it counts, but there's always Fushigi Yuugi. That's supposed to be somewhat Chinese based...sorta.

Sashimister 03-01-2010 10:52 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JoshAussie (Post 802324)
Is there an Anime based on Chinese history rather than Japanese? Like based in China or something?

There are many. Haven't you heard of Dragon Ball? ;)

China has a fascinating history and literature. Despite what many members here seem to believe, many Japanese love Chinese culture. The Chinese have taught us everything!

Others include:
Goku no Daibouken
Tobe
Saiyuki
SF Sayuki Starzinger

Mrowr 03-01-2010 04:48 PM

Well Fruit Baskets is based around the Chinese horoscopes- somewhat. XD And in terms of historical context... Hetalia pops into my head almost immediately. It talks about world history in general, and I'm not even sure how loyal it is to history actually!

Sashimister 03-01-2010 05:32 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mrowr (Post 802353)
Well Fruit Baskets is based around the Chinese horoscopes- somewhat.

I hope you're kidding. Japan has been using the Chinese zodiac for well over 1,000 years and we just don't see it as a Chinese thing.

To say Fruit Basket is Chinese-inspired is straining. It will get no support in Japan.

SSJup81 03-01-2010 08:07 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sashimister (Post 802335)
There are many. Haven't you heard of Dragon Ball? ;)

Good one. lol Now how could I forget Dragon Ball. Well, at least early Dragon Ball seemed to be more based on the Chinese story then went all over the place as the series continued.

Mrowr 03-02-2010 03:07 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sashimister (Post 802358)
I hope you're kidding. Japan has been using the Chinese zodiac for well over 1,000 years and we just don't see it as a Chinese thing.

To say Fruit Basket is Chinese-inspired is straining. It will get no support in Japan.

Yipes, sorry for my ignorance. I didn't realize that, but oh well, I've learned something new today!

JasonTakeshi 03-02-2010 04:29 AM

一騎当千 (Ikkitousen)

siokan 03-02-2010 05:00 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JoshAussie (Post 802324)
Is there an Anime based on Chinese history rather than Japanese? Like based in China or something?

I am sorry in poor English:(
Creation based on a historical fact
:Mitsuteru Yokoyama - Sangokushi (Records of Three Kingdoms)

Complete creation
:Fuyumi Ono - Jūni Kokuki (The Twelve Kingdoms)
:Ken'ichi Sakemi - Kumo no yō ni Kaze no yō ni (Like the Clouds, Like the Wind)
:Kōtetsu Sangokushi

jbradfor 03-02-2010 03:48 PM

Not history as much as culture, but Saiyuki is based on the famous Chinese book Journey to the West (西遊記).

SSJup81 03-02-2010 04:13 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jbradfor (Post 802486)
Not history as much as culture, but Saiyuki is based on the famous Chinese book Journey to the West (西遊記).

Yep, just like Dragon Ball, only Saiyuki seemed to stick to the story closer than Dragon Ball did (obviously). lol