JapanForum.com

JapanForum.com (https://www.japanforum.com/forum/)
-   Anime & Manga (https://www.japanforum.com/forum/anime-manga/)
-   -   Subtitles Or Dubbed? (https://www.japanforum.com/forum/anime-manga/4634-subtitles-dubbed.html)

Hentaro 06-16-2007 03:23 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by WingedFantasy (Post 153968)
Well I think its better watching it with subtitles because its a much better experience watching it with the characters acctual voices!

Yep... :happypika:

Suki 06-16-2007 03:30 PM

Well I think that the real voice that is given to a character is an important part of it and when you change it, the character loses part of its personality.

MMM 06-16-2007 09:54 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by YaksokuDa (Post 153990)
Agreed, the voice of a char. is picked to suit their personality. It's like if you gave naruto a deep voice he is a totally different person.

Rest assured the Japanese licensor or original owner of the material has a voice (ahem) as to what is done with their title. They likely have final approval on voices and English scripts to make sure that thier vision isn't too obscured.

MMM 06-16-2007 11:58 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by YaksokuDa (Post 154205)
But the difference is, Japanese pick voices for the char. and have a large variety to pick from.
While America has a very limited group of voice actors.

I would hope that American publishers (or where ever) choose voices to pick the characters, as well. Certainly the talent pool isn't as large as it is in Japan, but there is no shortage of new people trying to break into the business, and with the large volume of anime breaking out of Japan, there are people who can make a living at it.

I do remember the voice of Gigi in "Kiki's Delivery Service" is very different in the Japanese and the English. I always wondered why... there might have been cultural reasons for the decision.

I think the use of big-name stars as voice actors in anime movies is sometimes distracting. (The opposite thing happens in Japan, too, with movies like "Toy Story" or "Shrek".) Licensors are probably stuck, or are looking at the bottom line, and that is disappointing. However, they are most worried about satisfying their Japanese audience. Any extra money they make beyond that is a bonus.

YennonCrow 06-17-2007 12:44 AM

I think they put celebrities in movies such as Toy Story and Shrek, just so it will get more attention and sell more. Thats pretty much it... they have to try over and over again to get the voices right. Sometimes it take over a year for them to get a single line right (i'm refering to a celeb voicing a weasel in Dr. Dolittle 2). They work harder than our voice actors who go to school for it, and they still suck sometimes o.O

Suki 06-17-2007 10:51 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by YaksokuDa (Post 154205)
America has a very limited group of voice actors.

Same in Spain. Goku, Ranma, Bo-Bobo and Kakashi all have the same voice. lol

ILOVEJAPAN 06-19-2007 04:13 AM

deppends

I dont think it makes you any less of a fan.

But it deppends on what kind of anime it is, when it comes to weather or not they would be any diffrent in subs. With action or romance, its not like they are going to change the plot but with comedy, somtimes some of the jokes are changed on the dubs and that bothers me.

MMM 06-19-2007 04:22 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ILOVEJAPAN (Post 156106)
I dont think it makes you any less of a fan.

But it deppends on what kind of anime it is, when it comes to weather or not they would be any diffrent in subs. With action or romance, its not like they are going to change the plot but with comedy, somtimes some of the jokes are changed on the dubs and that bothers me.

Subs are always different than dubs because they have to cut or add dialogue to fit with the characters mouths when dubbing. Of course it will be pretty close, but in my experience subtitles are more accurate.

ILOVEJAPAN 06-20-2007 06:05 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MMM (Post 156107)
Subs are always different than dubs because they have to cut or add dialogue to fit with the characters mouths when dubbing. Of course it will be pretty close, but in my experience subtitles are more accurate.

Yea but with somthing that has a solid plot, even if they change alot of the words, it dosent really matter because they need to say basicly the same thing or it will change the plot.

For example:

If somone said "Im going to kill you"

they might translate it as "I will defeat you"

but they would never change it to "Im hungry"

because that would change the story.

but with a comedy there isnt always a solid story that need's all the plot to be the same, so they somtimes change a few of the jokes. There are some things they dont think wester audiences will find funny, so they change it.

Vesperd 06-20-2007 07:58 AM

I usually go for dubs, but for animes like Full metal Alchemist and Elfen lied.. they have great voice actors.. much respect to them!