JapanForum.com

JapanForum.com (https://www.japanforum.com/forum/)
-   English & Other Language Help (https://www.japanforum.com/forum/english-other-language-help/)
-   -   big/little brother (https://www.japanforum.com/forum/english-other-language-help/15858-big-little-brother.html)

hirashin 05-27-2008 11:00 AM

big/little brother

Dear native English speakers,

I have a question about older/younger brother.
Would someone help me?

Do you ever use the term "elder brother" meaning "older brother"?

Do you ever use the words "big brother" meaning older brother and "little brother" or "kid brother" meaning younger brother?

Hirashin

Kuronue 05-27-2008 11:23 AM

That's kind of a yes and no. Like when talking to my sister she just says my name. But like when she's describing me to her friends i would be her "Little brother". Does that answer your question at all?

hirashin 05-27-2008 12:00 PM

Thank you for the response, Kuronue san.

How about the others? Do you use all of them?

I hear that in the US only children use "big brother".

Hirashin

zhukis 05-27-2008 03:43 PM

Just as Kuronue said.

Generally we just call each other by name.

Brother, sister is generally reserved when you're speaking to someone else about them and when you want to give an indication on who he/she is to you. As an example,
"So my sister said that and that".
If its more of a formal company, then you sometimes add the little / big parts, but its rare.

TalnSG 05-27-2008 03:52 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by hirashin (Post 498481)
Thank you for the response, Kuronue san.

How about the others? Do you use all of them?

I hear that in the US only children use "big brother".

Hirashin

I have referred to my younger brother as "little brother" all of his life in informal company - both directly (in place of his name) and referentially. Its a laughable irony now that he is nearly a foot taller and very muscular, but the diminutive nature of the word "little" is still the way I see him.

However, in less formal situations I simply refer to him as my brother and by his name when speaking directly to him.

Tsuyako 05-27-2008 06:27 PM

I don't have an older brother but I do have a younger one and I just call him my 'little brother' :)

james1254 05-27-2008 06:46 PM

I usually call my little brother as "oi you" but when talking about him i would say my little brother.

Slykaz1 05-27-2008 06:54 PM

My kids call each other by their names and other nicknames they've aquired for each other.......But when they're friends ask the older answers "Never seen him before." And the younger answers. "what person I don't see anyone there." But I have heard them say "he's my bro." and as for their sister they answer. "She our little sis." I'm guessing because of her stature. :D

I've always said my carnala. or my sis. even tho she's only half my sister.

lizzey 05-27-2008 07:58 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by hirashin (Post 498460)
Do you ever use the term "elder brother" meaning "older brother"?

Do you ever use the words "big brother" meaning older brother and "little brother" or "kid brother" meaning younger brother?

Hirashin

Yes, I always tend to called my older brother "big brother"
and my younger little brother for some reason. :D

ARose 05-28-2008 12:49 AM

We just use each others names.

In the part of New York I live in, if you're talking to someone about your younger/older brother then we say "big brother / little brother" "older brother / younger brother" or "big sister / little sister" "older sister / younger sister"