JapanForum.com

JapanForum.com (https://www.japanforum.com/forum/)
-   General Discussion (https://www.japanforum.com/forum/general-discussion/)
-   -   Guns on University campuses, legal? (https://www.japanforum.com/forum/general-discussion/24524-guns-university-campuses-legal.html)

cridgit001 04-16-2009 06:10 PM

Guns on University campuses, legal?

So today in my Government class my professor brought to light a bill that is currently going through legislation in Texas. If passed the bill would allow people that have CHLs(Concealed Handgun License) to carry their weapon on campuses legally onto all Texas universities. The purpose of this would be to allow students in a Virgina Tech type situation to defend themselves against any would be killer. One proposition was that the professors would have lists of those that had CHLs in their classroom. Any thoughts?

Note: The process of acquiring a CHL is expensive and thorough with background checks among other things.

Here's the link about CHLs if you want to go in depth. Texas Department of Public Safety - Regulatory Licensing Service Concealed Handgun Licensing

TalnSG 04-16-2009 06:16 PM

That bill has raised a lot of media attention, as it should.
As one who believes in gun ownership, but also in licensing them and responsible ownership, I also work at a university.

I have a problem with this bill, because I do not feel that any weapon belongs in a classroom unless it is as a teaching tool.

But I also feel I should be able to carry it in my vehicle that is parked on campus, if I have a legal permit to transport it.

This bill is very poorly written and needs to be killed, before it gets students and faculty killed by being passed.

MMM 04-16-2009 06:19 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by cridgit001 (Post 698940)
One proposition was that the professors would have lists of those that had CHLs in their classroom. Any thoughts?

What could possibly be gained by giving the professor the list of who is carrying a gun? That sounds like a dangerous idea and a violation of rights.

Kenpachi11 04-16-2009 06:24 PM

Im not to sure if letting the students have a gun is a great idea but i would understand if an teacher/professor had one so he/she could protect the students.

alanX 04-16-2009 06:34 PM

Don't worry about it. It'll never pass in 1,000,000 years.

MMM 04-16-2009 06:58 PM

This is the same state that eliminated contraception education from its schools textbooks and is now requiring intelligent design and creationism talk in biology textbooks. Don't tell Texas what they can and can't do.

noodle 04-16-2009 07:04 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TalnSG (Post 698944)
But I also feel I should be able to carry it in my vehicle that is parked on campus, if I have a legal permit to transport it.

I think if you want to have a gun outside your home, it should always be on you... Leaving it in a vehicle is no way a good idea any day of the week!

kyo_9 04-16-2009 07:55 PM

isn't America the safest country in the world?

Yuusuke 04-16-2009 08:10 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by kyo_9 (Post 698989)

you can't be serious?

could you please specify what you mean by "safe"

FeyOberon 04-16-2009 08:45 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by kyo_9 (Post 698989)

Even assuming that to be true (I've never researched the statistics), horrible things like Virginia Tech do happen here.

Texas legislators are attempting to improve that level of safety.

That being said, I agree with MMM -- nothing good can come of providing professors with a list of licensed students.