JapanForum.com

JapanForum.com (https://www.japanforum.com/forum/)
-   General Discussion (https://www.japanforum.com/forum/general-discussion/)
-   -   Why do people make fun of male nurses? (https://www.japanforum.com/forum/general-discussion/26670-why-do-people-make-fun-male-nurses.html)

Zagato289 07-21-2009 05:48 PM

Why do people make fun of male nurses?

Where I live, south tx, people respect anyone that goes into any type of medical field, even male nurses. When i chat with people from other places in the US or world, they always make fun of me cause i told them im majoring in Nursing. I also seen them in movies where they make fun of male nurses. :mad:

Vigor123 07-21-2009 05:53 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Zagato289 (Post 750051)
Where I live, south tx, people respect anyone that goes into any type of medical field, even male nurses. When i chat with people from other places in the US or world, they always make fun of me cause i told them im majoring in Nursing. I also seen them in movies where they make fun of male nurses. :mad:

im sorry. im majoring as a doctor so yea. im in my 6th year and i respect all male nurses. i mean nurses wasnt really a female job tell WW2

bELyVIS 07-21-2009 05:55 PM

Let them make fun. And when you are earning big money and have a choice of where you want to work anywhere in the World they'll be the ones crying. I should have become a nurse too, but it was less accepted when I was in college.:ywave:

Zagato289 07-21-2009 05:57 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Vigor123 (Post 750060)
im sorry. im majoring as a doctor so yea. im in my 6th year and i respect all male nurses. i mean nurses wasnt really a female job tell WW2

that could be. its really sad that some people havent got over that.

Zagato289 07-21-2009 05:59 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bELyVIS (Post 750063)
Let them make fun. And when you are earning big money and have a choice of where you want to work anywhere in the World they'll be the ones crying. I should have become a nurse too, but it was less accepted when I was in college.:ywave:

thanks. yeah, people just need to understand.

Vigor123 07-21-2009 06:00 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Zagato289 (Post 750066)
that could be. its really sad that some people havent got over that.

yea. What part of texas do you live in? i live in dallas.

Zagato289 07-21-2009 06:04 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Vigor123 (Post 750070)
yea. What part of texas do you live in? i live in dallas.

I live in the south part in Brownsvile. Really hot over here.

Vigor123 07-21-2009 06:05 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Zagato289 (Post 750074)
I live in the south part in Brownsvile. Really hot over here.

i guess so. i mean its like 102 over here. i wonder what it is over there.

Deviruu 07-21-2009 06:12 PM

Ah, my brother and I were just talking earlier about how he wants to be a male nurse.

There's obviously nothing wrong with a male nurse, in fact I find all doctors/nurses to be respected for what they do. Some people just can't absorb that.

Jeez, 102 degrees? Being a winter person and from Maine I know I'd dislike the weather down south horrendously. x'P

Zagato289 07-21-2009 06:35 PM

yeah, its alot hotter over here. It went up 110F. They even reccomend us not to go outside.Thats how bad it is.

Yuna7780 07-21-2009 07:53 PM

That's not stupid at all. I don't think that's bad and people make fun of male nursing too much. :)

I don't see a problem in wanting to be a nurse. You might not want to have as much work as a doctor would, but still help people. As long as you can help people medically, it doesn't matter what gender you are.

Zagato289 07-21-2009 08:01 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Yuna7780 (Post 750143)
That's not stupid at all. I don't think that's bad and people make fun of male nursing too much. :)

I don't see a problem in wanting to be a nurse. You might not want to have as much work as a doctor would, but still help people. As long as you can help people medically, it doesn't matter what gender you are.

AGREE:) :)

bELyVIS 07-21-2009 08:14 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Yuna7780 (Post 750143)

I think nurses work harder than doctors. A doctor might decide what to do, but the nurse is always the one to do the hard work.

iPhantom 07-21-2009 08:16 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bELyVIS (Post 750161)
I think nurses work harder than doctors. A doctor might decide what to do, but the nurse is always the one to do the hard work.

Bullshit. Surgeries are a pain in the ass for doctors. I had surgery on my leg and he had to attach a complicated frame. It took 5 hours, nurses usualy watch and just do the bandages there.

bELyVIS 07-21-2009 08:25 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by iPhantom (Post 750165)
Bullshit. Surgeries are a pain in the ass for doctors. I had surgery on my leg and he had to attach a complicated frame. It took 5 hours, nurses usualy watch and just do the bandages there.

And after surgery was your doctor giving you medicine and cleaning you and helping you to the toilet? If he was, you have a great doctor.

iPhantom 07-21-2009 08:28 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bELyVIS (Post 750171)
And after surgery was your doctor giving you medicine and cleaning you and helping you to the toilet? If he was, you have a great doctor.

Giving medicine and other needs are nothing compared to the complicated work of the doctor.

First of all, he had to prepare the previous day, to think about the custom frame shape which is needed. Brain work is very tiresome and gets you more annoyed. Also, the concentration he needs to have during surgery is also extra tiring.

Zagato289 07-21-2009 08:31 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by iPhantom (Post 750175)
Giving medicine and other needs are nothing compared to the complicated work of the doctor.

First of all, he had to prepare the previous day, to think about the custom frame shape which is needed. Brain work is very tiresome and gets you more annoyed. Also, the concentration he needs to have during surgery is also extra tiring.

doctors do work hard but very few times, and that is during surgery. for the rest of the times is the nurse that has to do the rest of the stuff.

iPhantom 07-21-2009 08:44 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Zagato289 (Post 750177)
doctors do work hard but very few times, and that is during surgery. for the rest of the times is the nurse that has to do the rest of the stuff.

I was in the orthopedic section, and usually everyone was able to get up after 1-2 days after surgery. Nurses had no hard job at all, they just came and cared the first days.

Also the doctors have like 2 surgeries per day, it's not a FEW TIMES.

Uriko 07-21-2009 09:24 PM

Quote:

yeah, they do that a lot on TV.

i'm an RN & i have yet to meet someone irl who makes fun of male nurses. i think there should be more male nurses to help with the lifting & transferring & other grunt work. >.>

Undertherose25 07-21-2009 09:48 PM

I never understood what the big deal was with male nurses, my uncle a prison nurse and my brother was going to be a nurse. I think people expect nurses to be sensitive and have bedside manners and that doesn't seem to suit men's demeanor.

QueenNanami 07-22-2009 04:49 AM

I guess because alot of people see it as a woman's profession. Kinda like how alot of people see being a doctor as a man's profession.

Ever heard that joke? well not really a joke...

A man and his son get into a car accident and the father dies instantly in the crash. The son gets rushed to the hospital and the doctor looks at the kid and says
"I cant operate on this child, It's my son!" Who is the doctor?

The first time i heard that I thought forever on who it could be. Someone else had to tell me it was the mother. How stupid of me right?

Zagato289 07-22-2009 04:57 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by QueenNanami (Post 750452)
I guess because alot of people see it as a woman's profession. Kinda like how alot of people see being a doctor as a man's profession.

Ever heard that joke? well not really a joke...

A man and his son get into a car accident and the father dies instantly in the crash. The son gets rushed to the hospital and the doctor looks at the kid and says
"I cant operate on this child, It's my son!" Who is the doctor?

The first time i heard that I thought forever on who it could be. Someone else had to tell me it was the mother. How stupid of me right?

Ha, i remember hearing this joke before. I was like wtf,LOL.

Quailboy 07-22-2009 04:59 AM

Pfft everyone knows that nursing is a female only job..guys that do it are just doing it to become doctors later on. You know I'm right.

>.>
<.<

Tenchu 07-22-2009 05:01 AM

... another thread about homosexuality...

Quailboy 07-22-2009 05:02 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tenchu (Post 750460)

Pretty much..theres been quite a few lately.

Maybe Zagato is trying to find his inner self? lol

Zagato289 07-22-2009 05:04 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Quailboy (Post 750462)
Pretty much..theres been quite a few lately.

You either stop, or get in trouble .

Tenchu 07-22-2009 05:05 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Quailboy (Post 750462)

Correction:

Maybe Zagato is trying to find his/her/its inner self?

Zagato289 07-22-2009 05:08 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tenchu (Post 750460)

sorry to disappoint you but this threat was here before yours.;)

DJnohara 07-22-2009 03:54 PM

Quote:

Anyone who does is clearly a dumbass.
I've known several male nurses, and I respect them.

MissMisa 07-22-2009 05:01 PM

Because some people are clearly idiots. Anyone should be entitled to any profession, providing they have the same skillset and ability, without ridicule.

seiki 07-22-2009 05:13 PM

I see nothing wrong with a male nurse they do a good job for good pay. I know a guy named dennis and he started out at $60,000 a year thats nearly double average pay here. So then who is laughing at you? If thats what you want do it. You could buy a ducati 1098 like the male nurse in yes man.

Aaron why make fun of people. You did want to be a mod rightlol

godwine 07-22-2009 06:12 PM

Quote:

A simple answer will be because people are ignorat and stupid.... and some of it has to do with the exact same movies you saw, the message behind made people think that the idea of a male nurse is something to laugh it

Its the same stereotype mentality that made people think "All Chinese love rice"... well, tell you what.. I don't.. i love my spaghetti and lasanga

Ignore them, we all have respect for nurses, both male AND female..

Zagato289 07-22-2009 08:32 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by godwine (Post 750647)
A simple answer will be because people are ignorat and stupid.... and some of it has to do with the exact same movies you saw, the message behind made people think that the idea of a male nurse is something to laugh it

Its the same stereotype mentality that made people think "All Chinese love rice"... well, tell you what.. I don't.. i love my spaghetti and lasanga

Ignore them, we all have respect for nurses, both male AND female..

yeah, those types of movies and shows should really stop. Not just for the male nursing, but for all stereotypes.

Ryzorian 07-23-2009 02:02 AM

They'll want a male nurse or two when you have that drug crazed person in the emergency room.

Quailboy 07-26-2009 03:28 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Zagato289 (Post 750466)
You either stop, or get in trouble .

Oh noes, Zagato is being a hardass. -_-

You've annoyed me since the day you joined man.

Zagato289 07-26-2009 05:46 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Quailboy (Post 752360)
Oh noes, Zagato is being a hardass. -_-

You've annoyed me since the day you joined man.

funny cause i been here since 2007 n u barely joined this year. Grow up and stop putting lame comments. I dont understand why the mods havent kick you out already. They have been easy on you, too easy.

Salvadorian 07-26-2009 06:29 AM

Its just sad how society tends to stereotype individuals based on something as simple as your job. Simple minded people will say "Oh nurse you say, Do you wear a dress? L O L" -___- sigh....forget them at least you are doing what YOU want to do and getting paid for it :D

Quailboy 07-26-2009 07:44 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Zagato289 (Post 752386)
funny cause i been here since 2007 n u barely joined this year. Grow up and stop putting lame comments. I dont understand why the mods havent kick you out already. They have been easy on you, too easy.

Sorry, I meant to say, since I first saw you post. Which was like 2 weeks ago.
The mods haven't banned me because I'm not a completely horrible member. -_- Yeesh.
Quote:

Originally Posted by seiki (Post 750636)

Aaron why make fun of people. You did want to be a mod rightlol

Sarcasm my friend, I use it a lot.