LinkBack Thread Tools
(#21 (permalink))
Old
Aniki (Offline)
JF's Road Roller

08-17-2009, 02:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ronin4hire View Post
It's not... but that's not the only understood definition for Wapanese.
Well, I just checked the Urban Dictionary and all the definitions seem pretty much the same, so it leaves me to ask you what other definition does it have?
(#22 (permalink))
Old
Ronin4hire (Offline)
Busier Than Shinjuku Station

08-17-2009, 02:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aniki View Post
Well, I just checked the Urban Dictionary and all the definitions seem pretty much the same, so it leaves me to ask you what other definition does it have?
Well first of all the urban dictionary is not really a dictionary.

Furthermore what constitutes an unhealthy obsession?

For some people it could be simply an interest in Japan or an appreciation of Japanese culture or an aspect of it.
(#23 (permalink))
Old
GTJ (Offline)
Defeater of Weaboos

Send a message via Skype™ to GTJ
08-17-2009, 04:39 PM

Quote:
Sure it is. A culture defines the words it uses. Just because it isn't in print doesn't make it invalid. Urban Dictionary is very much a cultural vocabulary resource.

Quote:
I think that being on JF for as long as you have been, you'd be able to discern that for yourself.

Quote:
For some people it could be simply an interest in Japan or an appreciation of Japanese culture or an aspect of it.
No, those aren't unhealthy obsessions. Those are qualities of someone genuinely interested and respectful of the culture. Those with unhealthy obsessions are the ones who are labelled as weaboos.

Personally, I think talking about the word "wapanese" is a moot point. First off, I have hardly ever even heard it. "Weaboo" is the most popularly used.
Second, it comes from the same etymological idea as "wigger", but the two are certainly not the same.
Third, none of these words have anything whatsoever to do with cultural superiority or inferiority, they merely point out that someone is trying to be something they aren't with an unrealistic image of a culture they've idealized beyond recognition.

"wapanese" has a racial connotation. "Weaboo" does not.

光る物全て金ならず。
なんてしつけいいこいいけつしてんな。
(#24 (permalink))
Old
Aniki (Offline)
JF's Road Roller

08-17-2009, 08:59 PM

Quote:
Sure it is and GTJ nicely explains why. But if you know a better and more accurate online dictionary, then please tell us.

Quote:
I never thought you'd need an explanation on that matter Ronin, but if you really need one, then you'll find your answers in the same Urban Dictionary.

Quote:
Being obsessed and simply having an interest are two completely different things, only an ignorant fool wouldn't know the difference between the two.

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTJ View Post
Personally, I think talking about the word "wapanese" is a moot point. First off, I have hardly ever even heard it. "Weaboo" is the most popularly used.
Second, it comes from the same etymological idea as "wigger", but the two are certainly not the same.
Third, none of these words have anything whatsoever to do with cultural superiority or inferiority, they merely point out that someone is trying to be something they aren't with an unrealistic image of a culture they've idealized beyond recognition.

"wapanese" has a racial connotation. "Weaboo" does not.
Well, I hardly hear the word weeaboo. Even if the word Wapanese has a racial connotation, today it's used to describe anyone despite their color. So both words are the same (at least to me), except weeaboo was adopted and is mainly used by the 4chaners.

Last edited by Aniki : 08-17-2009 at 09:01 PM.
(#25 (permalink))
Old
komitsuki (Offline)

08-17-2009, 09:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTJ View Post
Sure it is. A culture defines the words it uses. Just because it isn't in print doesn't make it invalid. Urban Dictionary is very much a cultural vocabulary resource.
Technically, UrbanDictionary is a crowdsourced online dictionary with a system called evaluation measure. This is why it's a nice resource for morphologists and sociolinguists who research on internet English.

UrbanDictionary is not a true dictionary, people say? Anyway it's a great resource for some linguistics researchers.

JapanForum's semi-resident amateur linguist.
(#26 (permalink))
Old
GTJ (Offline)
Defeater of Weaboos

Send a message via Skype™ to GTJ
08-17-2009, 10:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by komitsuki View Post
Technically, UrbanDictionary is a crowdsourced online dictionary with a system called evaluation measure. This is why it's a nice resource for morphologists and sociolinguists who research on internet English.

UrbanDictionary is not a true dictionary, people say? Anyway it's a great resource for some linguistics researchers.
True, true. Even though I'm a native speaker of English, there are quite a few words I come by online that I need to know the meaning of without looking like a geezer, and UrbanDictionary is where I do it!

光る物全て金ならず。
なんてしつけいいこいいけつしてんな。
(#27 (permalink))
Old
MMM (Offline)
JF Ossan

08-17-2009, 10:14 PM

I think it is time for this conversation to move back on topic.
(#28 (permalink))
Old
Ronin4hire (Offline)

08-18-2009, 04:55 AM

Whatever... Wapanese is offensive to me and I've been called it before by people who only know me as much as to understand that I have an appreciation for Japanese culture.

You people are being narrow minded if you cannot see the broad spectrum as to which this word could be applied.

Basically it's like telling me that the word nigger simply means "black person" and ignoring the fact that the term carries notions of inferiority. The same is true for Wapanese (which stems from the word Wigger in which I could also make the same argument)... I asked the question what constitutes an unhealthy interest in Japanese culture and I got the response that I should know... well I don't know and I doubt that any of you could agree exactly except in the most extreme cases.

However the term is applied, the connotations are negative and the grand implication is that culture is something which one conform to, and that non-conformation to the culture you are percieved to adhere to is something to be looked down upon. I will openly backtrack from my previous statement that it necessarily implies a notion of cultural superiority... but it has the potential to and is often used by people to that effect.

Finally the urban dictionary is not a dictionary in the sense that you can quote a definitions from it and it will be a definitive one is what I meant when I said it was not a dictionary. I mean seriously...

Last edited by Ronin4hire : 08-18-2009 at 04:58 AM.