JapanForum.com  

LinkBack Thread Tools
(#1 (permalink))
Old
Kasomi (Offline)
Languages Addict

Send a message via MSN to Kasomi
Why did you start learning Japanese? - 01-06-2011, 06:06 PM

There is a lot of people here currently learning Japanese, or who already mastered it. To whoever learned Japanese or other languages, I want to know here why. Why did you started to learn a new language? For work? Under werid circumstances? It exploded in your face? I was when you met someone in particular? Tell me, what happened so that you got any interest in languages?

On my part, I learn languages so I can KNOW. I want to understand the most possible. I started mimicking other languages when I was 3 year old (or so I was told by my mom). I say mimicking because I couldn't say or understand a word I was hearing from the foreign language, but I was actually trying to communicate. The in high school I started learning other alphabet to write in codes to my friends about boys... but before I knew it, I was struck: I wanted to learn Spanish, and Japanese, and Chinese, and several other languages.

What's your story?

僕は静かな見物人なんだよ。
すべてを見て、聞いているよ。

Sème le vent, récolte la tempête;
Sème le bonheur, tu récolteras l'amour.
(#2 (permalink))
Old
RobinMask (Offline)
JF Old Timer

01-06-2011, 06:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kasomi View Post
There is a lot of people here currently learning Japanese, or who already mastered it. To whoever learned Japanese or other languages, I want to know here why. Why did you started to learn a new language? For work? Under werid circumstances? It exploded in your face? I was when you met someone in particular? Tell me, what happened so that you got any interest in languages?

On my part, I learn languages so I can KNOW. I want to understand the most possible. I started mimicking other languages when I was 3 year old (or so I was told by my mom). I say mimicking because I couldn't say or understand a word I was hearing from the foreign language, but I was actually trying to communicate. The in high school I started learning other alphabet to write in codes to my friends about boys... but before I knew it, I was struck: I wanted to learn Spanish, and Japanese, and Chinese, and several other languages.

What's your story?
I'm still learning Japanese, but currently I'm at a beginner-intermediate level, around a level three proficiency on the old tests (or close to it anyway). I personally began to learn the language because of my intent to move to Japan. I'll hopefully be living and working in Japan around April next year, so it was important to me to learn as much of the language I could before then, because I want to immerse myself in the culture and learn as much as I can from it in my time there, to do that I'll need to talk to the people and read their texts. It'll also help with everyday life there. I guess it began as a necessity, although in time I grew to adore the language and learning it, so I've continued due to enjoyment rather than it being just a chore

It'll also be good for my career. If I eventually pick it up fluently then I can move higher up into new areas, perhaps even get a teaching certificate which will increase my income, and - if I'm good enough - I can move into careers outside of teaching. I do love teaching, but I'm not sure if it's my niche and would like to try new areas, and a second language would really help in exploring new paths and bettering myself.

You say you enjoy languages, have you studied any specific languages? Or do you know any other than your native language? If so how far advanced are you and did you enjoy them? I'm rather curious actually. I've always been fascinated by languages, we did Spanish and French at school, although I don't remember a word, lol! How long did it take for you to get to the level you are now with the languages you studied too?

Oh, I think perhaps you're using the wrong word in your thread title though, 'alibi' completely gave me the wrong idea of what the thread was about, lol.
(#3 (permalink))
Old
TalnSG (Offline)
Busier Than Shinjuku Station

Send a message via ICQ to TalnSG
01-06-2011, 07:55 PM

My reason for taking up Korean was originally rather silly. I was watching one of the longest serial dramas known to mankind and at some point decided that there was no way every other word ended in "...amida". I figured the only way to find out was to start learning it.

I started Spanish because I was a cute, but bored, 5 year old on vacation with my parents when I caught the attention of a waiter who then spent two weeks teaching me. Then I had to take it in 5th & 6th grade.

Took French in college because of Guy de Maupassant and my cook book collection; then Japanese because my favorite sushi chef insisted and plied me with food.

Only an open mind and open heart can be filled with life.
Find your voice; silence will not protect you.
(#4 (permalink))
Old
Kasomi (Offline)
Languages Addict

01-06-2011, 08:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RobinMask View Post

Oh, I think perhaps you're using the wrong word in your thread title though, 'alibi' completely gave me the wrong idea of what the thread was about, lol.
I'm sorry, I used it on purpose, like "what"s your alibi for being such a hardworker with a language" or something like that... This word have the same meaning in French, so I should have known that it would be confusing... but I wanted to get the attention of the JF's community

My mother tongue is French. I've studied Spanish for two years and got to the intermediate level in college, but since, had no occasion to use my knowledge of it really... as for Japanese, I study it when I have some time to, on my own. I come here to get some answers, I read. I intend on passing N3 level in december 2011. I also speak English (although I still need some vocabulary by passive-active learning (reading and writing every word to remember it), and started mandarin chinese on my own.

I find it really interesting that you are going to Japan in April. I hope you will have lots of fun and learn a lot of new thing about Japanese culture!

僕は静かな見物人なんだよ。
すべてを見て、聞いているよ。

(#5 (permalink))
Old
JohnBraden (Offline)

01-06-2011, 08:14 PM

When I was born, I started speaking Spanish first and then English. I was raised speaking Spanish with my mother and English with my father. I'm now learning Japanese so I can be a little more prepared for my next Japan trip.
(#6 (permalink))
Old
RobinMask (Offline)
JF Old Timer

01-06-2011, 08:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kasomi View Post
My mother tongue is French. I've studied Spanish for two years and got to the intermediate level in college, but since, had no occasion to use my knowledge of it really... as for Japanese, I study it when I have some time to, on my own. I come here to get some answers, I read. I intend on passing N3 level in december 2011. I also speak English (although I still need some vocabulary by passive-active learning (reading and writing every word to remember it), and started mandarin chinese on my own.

I find it really interesting that you are going to Japan in April. I hope you will have lots of fun and learn a lot of new thing about Japanese culture!
Around next April, that's realistically the earliest possible date, but nothing is ever set in stone. It will all depend on how quickly I can find a job once I have my degree in hand, and then that's still assuming that the COE and visa come very quickly and on time. Thank you though

And that's very impressive that you know four languages and learning one more! Especially as you seem to know English so well, and that you're at such a stage in Japanese too Good luck with your Chinese by the way, and I'm sure you'll pick up the English vocabulary quite quickly, reading/writing in the forums as you're doing is bound to help. How long did it take you to learn English by the way? I'm guessing it was easier to learn, being that it's so similiar in script and vocabulary to your native language, although which was the hardest for you to learn?
(#7 (permalink))
Old
evanny (Offline)
devil's advocate

01-06-2011, 09:08 PM

knowing simple sentences and expressions for a primitive conversation isn't actually "knowing" the language IMHO.
native is latvian. english was part of school and so was russian. but i didn't attend many of the english lessons so most of what i had learned was by watching movies and internet surfing. in the end got 94% at the exams.
and japanese i've been studying for 4 months now since my major is japanese at the university.
(#8 (permalink))
Old
Kasomi (Offline)
Languages Addict

01-07-2011, 12:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RobinMask View Post
Around next April, that's realistically the earliest possible date, but nothing is ever set in stone. It will all depend on how quickly I can find a job once I have my degree in hand, and then that's still assuming that the COE and visa come very quickly and on time. Thank you though

And that's very impressive that you know four languages and learning one more! Especially as you seem to know English so well, and that you're at such a stage in Japanese too Good luck with your Chinese by the way, and I'm sure you'll pick up the English vocabulary quite quickly, reading/writing in the forums as you're doing is bound to help. How long did it take you to learn English by the way? I'm guessing it was easier to learn, being that it's so similiar in script and vocabulary to your native language, although which was the hardest for you to learn?
That's nice! Even though nothing is set in stone, you still get to go! It's been 5 years now that I keep saying that one day I will be able to go there, but university isn't cheap so I have to wait before I get a stable job, time and everything.

As for English, I can't complain. I mean, I understand every single word of it; I just lack practice. It's when I try talking that it's embarassing... the other day, I was asked if I was German because I had an accent... being a french Canadian, it was pretty funny to be asked that. I'm still learning though, and will never stop writing, reading and speaking English. As Canada is legally a bilingual country, in primary and secondary school (high school) students learn English as a second language. I never had difficulties in learning a language. Barely had beyond 90% in English thorough my school time and I am now almost a translator from English into French.

@evanny: Why do you say that "knowing simple sentences and expressions for a primitive conversation isn't actually 'knowing' a language"? To whom did you say that?

僕は静かな見物人なんだよ。
すべてを見て、聞いているよ。

(#9 (permalink))
Old
evanny (Offline)
devil's advocate

01-07-2011, 08:55 AM

i said it to everyone. i've met people who also jump around languages like you and others without actually learning one. i know - it's cool to say "hey, i speak in 5 languages" but it doesn't mean you "know" them.

in this case with you. robin commented that you speak 5 languages.
so...... you are self thought in Japanese and i think it's usability probably is non existent specially when you only learn it on your free time. + learning mandarin also on your own. Spanish you were learning when you were a 5 year old child +5th and 6th grade - primitive level at best and you haven't used it since.

so.. in my opinion you speak and know 2 languages - your mother tongue and english.
(#10 (permalink))
Old
dogsbody70 (Offline)

01-07-2011, 09:16 AM

I admire anyone who tries to learn other languages.

some have more opportunities to use them than others maybe.

the point is: that they are trying in the best way that they can.

I have a Japanese friend so that is why I am interested in Japan in general.

I cannot afford to attend classes, so I use a couple of courses which I take around on my ipod plus all the text books. But its hard going on ones own.

I particularly like the written language but recently somehow have been distracted.
Unless I can really practice with a Japanese person-- I doubt if I will make enough progress.
My friend is too busy learning English to actually help me-- so its daft really-- but at least I have been reading much about Japan and its people and history.