(#11 (permalink))
Old
YukisUke (Offline)
Konichiwa, bitches

Send a message via AIM to YukisUke Send a message via Yahoo to YukisUke
05-13-2010, 01:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nyororin View Post
I say to go with something simple. In Japan, teachers are generally not allowed to accept gifts from students, so there isn`t really any specific "teacher gift".

But really, why go with something "Japanese"? She isn`t living in Japan, and may be happier with something non-Japanese.
I mean, think about it - if you were working abroad, would you be thrilled to get something normal and boring from your home country? I wouldn`t... Don`t worry about where she is from. Just get something nice and small, and give it while saying thank you.
I totally agree with Nyororin. Get her something that doesn't remind her of her home country. Get her something that she'll be happy to take back home with her (like a cute doll, a vase, etc.).
(#12 (permalink))
Old
SceptileMaster (Offline)
JF Old Timer

05-13-2010, 07:22 PM

I wasn't planning on getting her something Japanese I was just attempting to (and failing to) get across that it would be silly to get her something Japanese.

I was thinking of maybe a plant or an attempt at some cakes. Do these sound like good gift ideas? I also think I should include a thank you letter with the gift, written in the best Japanese I can manage (it'd probably turn out to be an embarrassing mess but that doesn't really bother me).
(#13 (permalink))
Old
Columbine (Offline)
Busier Than Shinjuku Station

05-13-2010, 09:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SceptileMaster View Post
I wasn't planning on getting her something Japanese I was just attempting to (and failing to) get across that it would be silly to get her something Japanese.

I was thinking of maybe a plant or an attempt at some cakes. Do these sound like good gift ideas? I also think I should include a thank you letter with the gift, written in the best Japanese I can manage (it'd probably turn out to be an embarrassing mess but that doesn't really bother me).
A pot plant doesn't sound a half-bad idea. It's kind of neutral and unlike cut flowers, doesn't have any romantic overtones. Maybe try and find a flowering plant that won't grow too big and isn't too high maintenance. It's too late for bulbs unfortunately, which is a shame as they're great gifts as you can normally bung them in the garden when they've finished flowering and they'll pop up again next spring, luck holding.
(#14 (permalink))
Old
Sashimister (Offline)
他力本願

05-14-2010, 07:53 AM

The most common "gift" for the teacher from the student is 寄せ書き(よせがき) if you want to know. Each student writing a card or letter separately is nice but we usually go for this in Japan. Each student writes a small message on it. It's also easy for the teacher to keep.

In Japan, it's not common to give teachers gifts of monetary value unless:

1. The teacher is retiring or
2. The teacher is relocating long-distance.

Then again, this isn't in Japan so you could add a plant or cakes as you said.
Just remember that if you are doing the 寄せ書き or an individually-written letter, make sure to present it the way that that is the main gift, not the other thing (plant or candies).

(#15 (permalink))
Old
SceptileMaster (Offline)
JF Old Timer

05-16-2010, 07:20 PM

That would be great to do. However, there are some problems. I don't have contact with the other people in my class and the teacher will be in the classroom before I can see any of them to make one. I am going to a attempt a letter though. Let's hope it's readable. Thanks for the help everyone.

Also I went down to the garden center and the only gift size pot plants they had were cacti and venus fly traps. Cacti are lower maintenance so I chose one over the venus fly traps (also, maybe some people could be impartial to venus fly traps). It has a nice colorful pot at least.
(#16 (permalink))
Old
YukisUke (Offline)
Konichiwa, bitches

Send a message via AIM to YukisUke Send a message via Yahoo to YukisUke
05-17-2010, 03:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SceptileMaster View Post
That would be great to do. However, there are some problems. I don't have contact with the other people in my class and the teacher will be in the classroom before I can see any of them to make one. I am going to a attempt a letter though. Let's hope it's readable. Thanks for the help everyone.

Also I went down to the garden center and the only gift size pot plants they had were cacti and venus fly traps. Cacti are lower maintenance so I chose one over the venus fly traps (also, maybe some people could be impartial to venus fly traps). It has a nice colorful pot at least.
That's great!! I hope your teacher likes it. And I hope I was of some help to you. LOL.