JapanForum.com  

LinkBack Thread Tools
(#1 (permalink))
Old
Metsn (Offline)
New to JF

Smile First Ainu reference in Japanese documents? - 02-06-2011, 03:46 PM

Hello,

I need a little help from you. I just finished my thesis about Ainu, where I wrote that the first Ainu reference in Japanese documents is from Kamakura period.

But it seems that my professor doesn't agree with that and asking me when and where were Ainu people mentioned before that in Japanese documents.

I was trying to find the answer, but with no luck.

Does anybody here know the right answer?

Thank you!!
(#2 (permalink))
Old
masaegu (Offline)
永遠の愛

02-06-2011, 05:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Metsn View Post
Hello,

I need a little help from you. I just finished my thesis about Ainu, where I wrote that the first Ainu reference in Japanese documents is from Kamakura period.

But it seems that my professor doesn't agree with that and asking me when and where were Ainu people mentioned before that in Japanese documents.

I was trying to find the answer, but with no luck.

Does anybody here know the right answer?

Thank you!!
Kamakura? Not even close. I think it's around Asuka.

In 659, the Japanese missions to Tang China discussed the Ainu with Chinese authorities. That is documented in 日本書紀, which was compiled by 720.

This is the oldest reference that I know of. I may not be spot-on but couldn't be too far off.

Dunno if I should be helping any further. You are the thesis-writing scholar and I'm just a guy walking down the street.
(#3 (permalink))
Old
Metsn (Offline)
New to JF

02-06-2011, 06:48 PM

Thanks to a guy walking down to street, I appreciate your answer That is probably the answer which I'll give to my professor. It has only one catch. I believe that Nihon Shoki doesn't mention Ainu people, but Emishi people. And from most of my sources, they are probably not the same.
(#4 (permalink))
Old
masaegu (Offline)
永遠の愛

02-07-2011, 09:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Metsn View Post
Thanks to a guy walking down to street, I appreciate your answer That is probably the answer which I'll give to my professor. It has only one catch. I believe that Nihon Shoki doesn't mention Ainu people, but Emishi people. And from most of my sources, they are probably not the same.
I don't mean to nitpick but how did you arrive at your answer "Kamakura" if you really believe that Emishi and Ainu are different groups of people? The term "Ainu" began to be used around 15-17th centuries, didn't it? It never got very common until well into Meiji, either. I wonder if your confusion comes from the fact (Do excuse me if this isn't true) that you aren't doing your research in the original Japanese.