JapanForum.com  

LinkBack Thread Tools
(#1 (permalink))
Old
dogsbody70 (Offline)
Busier Than Shinjuku Station

Memory Stick: Advice Please. - 11-11-2010, 02:46 PM

I am sure most of you will not have any trouble using them but I am a beginner so please if you have any advice-- I would very much appreciate it.

I have downloaded JET FLASH ELITE I have a small memory stick--

I am unsure what to do. ALl I really wanted to do was download some pictures and art to transfer elsewhere.

How do I aim at the picture I wish to download then store on the memory stick?

I am sure my gr son could do it for me-- but I don't know when I shall see him again.

Thanks in advance.
(#2 (permalink))
Old
evanny (Offline)
devil's advocate

11-11-2010, 03:02 PM

well. to download pictures the default way is to find it, then right click and "save image as" and should appear on you desktop or in My Documents/Downloads
after you do that insert memory stick in to your pc/laptop. when its done there should be a pop up allowing you to access files. if there isn't then simply go to "my computer" and there next to "disk C/D/E CD-rom" etc should be another icon possibly saying smth like "mass storage device" open it and then simply drag the pictures into it.
(#3 (permalink))
Old
dogsbody70 (Offline)

11-11-2010, 04:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by evanny View Post
well. to download pictures the default way is to find it, then right click and "save image as" and should appear on you desktop or in My Documents/Downloads
after you do that insert memory stick in to your pc/laptop. when its done there should be a pop up allowing you to access files. if there isn't then simply go to "my computer" and there next to "disk C/D/E CD-rom" etc should be another icon possibly saying smth like "mass storage device" open it and then simply drag the pictures into it.

You are an angel EVANNY. I will try that soon. thanks so much.
(#4 (permalink))
Old
princessmarisa (Offline)
JF Old Timer

11-11-2010, 05:42 PM

JET FLASH ELITE

looks like some some pretty poor syncing software to automatically copy certain files and program preferences to the memory stick with added features like using it to lock your computer from others etc.

if you just want to transport photos/music/files you have created you really don't need or want anything like that so I'd recommend binning it off.
If you want to do more complicated stuff I'd also recommend taking advise on better software, that looks awful.

As said just drag or (save as... from within the program) the files you want onto the memory stick/usb mass storage device icon like it was any other folder on your computer. don't pull it out while it's still saving/transferring anything and you'll be fine.

Fighting ignorance and slaying a few narutards whilst I am at it.
(#5 (permalink))
Old
dogsbody70 (Offline)

11-11-2010, 05:53 PM

UMM we were sold this by a professional PC Shop.

So what should I get then?
(#6 (permalink))
Old
princessmarisa (Offline)
JF Old Timer

11-11-2010, 06:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dogsbody70 View Post
UMM we were sold this by a professional PC Shop.

So what should I get then?
I can believe it, those places live to rip off anyone they can, they make me so angry. Try return the software to them if you can.

I have a degree in Computing & software developing if it gives weight to my words?

You don't need any software on a pen drive/flash drive/usb stick just for transferring files.

The only time you need software is if you want to actually run entire programes or windows itself off the drive, and for a normal user I can't see that you would ever need to

If you ever really, really need to do this, try PortableApps.com - Portable software for USB drives
It is free and one of the best of it's kind and if you don't need it you can bin it not lost a thing.

(#7 (permalink))
Old
dogsbody70 (Offline)

11-11-2010, 09:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by princessmarisa View Post
JET FLASH ELITE

looks like some some pretty poor syncing software to automatically copy certain files and program preferences to the memory stick with added features like using it to lock your computer from others etc.

if you just want to transport photos/music/files you have created you really don't need or want anything like that so I'd recommend binning it off.
If you want to do more complicated stuff I'd also recommend taking advise on better software, that looks awful.

As said just drag or (save as... from within the program) the files you want onto the memory stick/usb mass storage device icon like it was any other folder on your computer. don't pull it out while it's still saving/transferring anything and you'll be fine.

Hello again-- you will think I am very thick-- can I just put the memory stick into the PC-- not needing to use a special website? thanks again for your advice.
(#8 (permalink))
Old
princessmarisa (Offline)
JF Old Timer

11-11-2010, 09:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dogsbody70 View Post
Hello again-- you will think I am very thick-- can I just put the memory stick into the PC-- not needing to use a special website? thanks again for your advice.
Hey, I don't think anyone is thick, we all know different things

Yes just put it into the PC, you don't need any special software or websites at all.

Windows might say something similar to "installing drivers" but it will do this for free by itself and will only take 1-2minutes.

(#9 (permalink))
Old
dogsbody70 (Offline)

11-11-2010, 09:37 PM

thanks alot I'll give it a go as soon as I can and let you know.

As a silver surfer I guess I am pretty ignorant where computers and technology are concerned.

sort of frightened to make mistakes etc.