JapanForum.com  

LinkBack Thread Tools
(#11 (permalink))
Old
TalnSG (Offline)
Busier Than Shinjuku Station

Send a message via ICQ to TalnSG
02-02-2011, 09:34 PM

Though I still find it sad that Japanese and Koreans I know feel they need to use their "English names" when staying the U.S., I finally came to understand it better when the question was reversed.

Their reason for adopting more common western names is to make westerners more comfortable and because some of us have problems pronouncing the names they use at home. I still find it sad that anyone would have to make such an accommodation.

However, after listening to them struggle to pronounce my first name with several sounds not found in the languages of NE Asia, I began to understand. As they pointed out, my sympathy for them might lead me to adopt a name that was more appropriate and easier for most Japanese and Koreans to pronounce if it was to be used daily.

So there are all sorts of valid reason for adopting a "legal alias" when in a foreign country. However, those who do so only because they like the sound, or want to seem to be more a part another culture outside of their own can come across as ridiculous.

Only an open mind and open heart can be filled with life.
Find your voice; silence will not protect you.
(#12 (permalink))
Old
MMM (Offline)
JF Ossan

02-02-2011, 09:58 PM

It seems to me the Asians who change their names when in Western countries had come from places where Christianity was strong. I have met many Koreans with Western names, but rarely Japanese.

I do know a couple 2-kei Japanese who have Americanized their names, but they are adults born in the US.
(#13 (permalink))
Old
KyokoUK (Offline)
Loving KuranUSA

Send a message via MSN to KyokoUK Send a message via Yahoo to KyokoUK Send a message via Skype™ to KyokoUK
02-05-2011, 02:04 AM

We live in such a strange time. In past times a name defined who you were to yourself as well as to who you wanted others to see you as. Some people changed their name with every major stage of their adult lives. This has been a practice in various parts of the world, not only the far east but the North American natives woud do this also. It seems today that we are stuck with "Fred Jones" at birth but what the hey does that say about the guy? How does "Fred" define himself when he joins the military and becomes a commander or a captain? In the days I speak of he would have already changed his name when he joined, to reflect his new position, and now to show his great position. Now...

You said it was for "auspicious" reasons that you wanted to change your name and I believe that throws an entirly new light on the matter. I take that to mean this is not some flight of fancy but something more in keeping with what I have said above. I am English, I am of Japanese descent and I am a Buddhist. The name I went by in school was Kellie, my grandmother, however had named me Kyoko, which is my "given" name and when I became a Buddhist I was given a name of Gyepa Doltso. Later it changed as I advanced in my teachings to become Ani Doltso and I have now changed it to Ani Dharma. I have been called Kyoko, Kellie, Kyky, Kellerz, Ani, even Jellybean and I know there's a few more I have missed. What is my legal name? Its Kyoko but is THAT my name? What does another Japanese think of me having a Tibetan Buddhist name? What do I do when I see someone from school who calls out, "Oi! Kellz!"? Well I answer then of course. Do I give a care what another Japanese thinks of me? Do I care what another English person thinks of me? Why in the holy hey would I? Now...

I consider auspicious to mean...well auspicious and if your name is, to you, important enough that you wish to change it and it, to you is for "auspicious" reasons, then I only ask why do you even care what anyone else thinks about it? Take the name you feel is YOU and anyone who doesn't like it has just as much room to learn to like it. If they say bad things to you, slowly shake your head at their ignorance and walk away, don't even dignify their chastizment with an answer. So...

Okay, my rant is over...(/rant)

I Defied My Brain And Learned For Myself That Wheelchairs Are Not Always Forever...Music Was A Large Part Of My Healing...Let Music Heal Your Soul.

(#14 (permalink))
Old
TalnSG (Offline)
Busier Than Shinjuku Station

Send a message via ICQ to TalnSG
02-05-2011, 04:06 AM

MMM, yes, most of those I know who adopt western names are Korean and Christian, but the names are not necessarily biblical names. I don't know if ts because I know more Koreans than Japanese.

There are used to be many cultures where changing one's name is done to counteract bad luck or unfortunate events in their lives.

Only an open mind and open heart can be filled with life.
Find your voice; silence will not protect you.