JapanForum.com

JapanForum.com (https://www.japanforum.com/forum/)
-   General Discussion (https://www.japanforum.com/forum/general-discussion/)
-   -   What is your opinion on immigrants? (https://www.japanforum.com/forum/general-discussion/36073-what-your-opinion-immigrants.html)

Ryzorian 02-21-2011 12:32 AM

Gonative, being happy for some is success. Your comeing to the same conclusion as Sangetsu via a different road.

Success does drive most of life. Ronin, you may not like how Sangetsu is presenting this basic idea, but I agree that succeeding is essential to liveing. It doesn't have to be a huge success persay, if it meets your own goals then it's a success. To not be successful is to die.

Birds that don't migrate and freeze to death, wielderbeast that fail to cross the river and get eaten by crocs. The person that fails to get a job and is now homeless. Success is very important in this. I think from your pespective, you could argue what those who are successful choose to do with that success, is what makes them a benifit to humanity or not.

tokusatsufan 02-22-2011 12:34 PM

I love foreigners! There was this guy at the counter who I assumed was just a weird man but then I dropped my money and he counted it for me and said "Here" and he was Polish. I think I am a bit racist the wrong way. I've got a Foreign Culture Fetish. Until I went to college there weren't that many ethnic minorities. I used to live up by Herefordshire and now I go to college in a big city so that might be why. There was a Chinese boy but I think that was just till year 2 or 3 and a girl that might have been black. When I moved down here to go to secondary school there was a bit more. Even now there's only an Indian and something else which I don't know what in my media group.

It's not multicultural enough for me! I want a Native American,a Japanese person,a twentyracial... Although there are two other half-Celts in my group which is quite good. Sorry. I'm obsessed with race.

ryuhebi13 02-22-2011 01:00 PM

I don't mind immigrants. It means I get to meet different people from around the world without me ever needing to travel haha

Meh! Is that lazy? :vsign:

wolfrainvn 02-26-2011 11:20 AM

Here is my 2cent on the topic.

Immigration is a complex topic as all human relations are. Many factors come into play.

To simply say that immigrants cause trouble is a unfair and superficial allegation. Although, the fact is that immigrant's culture and the native's culture is more often than not very different than each other. Their appearance might look different, their skin, their voice. Because they act different and look different, the immigrant and the native would not be able to understand to each other and with misunderstanding comes suspicion or even racism. So we have the situation where people are divided into 2 separate groups, a existing dormant one and a new migrating group. These two group are forced to share a fixed resources in the geographical place, be it, jobs, foods or money. As they cant negotiate or communicate effective to each other, conflicts are unavoidable. The new and underprivileged immigrant are forced to bond tight to their members and this create gangs and violence and criminal activities.

However, this is not the only path a immigrant can take, they can choose to integrate to the native culture and to conform to the native standard. But if they do so, will they have to reject their own values or their own people? I think this is the question that define the potential of a immigrant ethic group to integrate to a new society. For example: we have two ethic migrant group, a Chinese ethic and a Middle East ethic in a Western country. As we know from experience, the Chinese ethic group usually infiltrate much more better into Western society, they have good jobs, live a higher standard of life style and generally accepted. While some Middle East minority groups are still being discriminated against and have a lower social-economic standard. One had to beg the question WHY? The answer lies in their way of thinking and their culture. The Chinese ethic are very dynamic and cultural neutral people, they tends to accept new value much more rapidly but in the process they might lost their own identity. In contrast, Middle Eastern people tend to be deeply religious and proud people and tend to preserve their way of life and identity in the new country. This is not in anyway a judgment to these two ethic group but simply my observation of the topic.

As a immigrant my self, i had experienced the difficulty to adjust between my ancestor value and the new value. It was a confusing and unpleasant time and i am glad that i was able to come to term with the type of person i want to be. I really feel sympathy to all the immigrant in a new land. I remember a saying "The new have no friend, the new need help" and deeply resonated to how i felt.

tokusatsufan 02-26-2011 11:38 AM

I was having an argument with this guy on YouTube yesterday. It was this Asian-American who was saying white people should "stick to their own colour".

wolfrainvn 02-26-2011 11:45 AM

He might be a close minded person and i am sure not all Asian-American are like him.

tokusatsufan 03-02-2011 03:03 PM

I doubt we'll necessarily lose our own culture moving across the world so long as we keep in touch with it .e.g.for me go on iPlayer,watch Doctor Who,keep talking to people,whatever else you can do.

Ryzorian 03-03-2011 04:06 AM

Caucasian has the word "asian" in it...anyone notice that? I wonder if it's derived from people who lived in the caucus mountains and means "white" asian?

MMM 03-03-2011 04:22 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by tokusatsufan (Post 853879)
I doubt we'll necessarily lose our own culture moving across the world so long as we keep in touch with it .e.g.for me go on iPlayer,watch Doctor Who,keep talking to people,whatever else you can do.

How did we do it before there was Internet?

tokusatsufan 03-03-2011 09:17 AM

Who knows. The funny thing is,we're meant to be in the age of broadband and yet most people in this country have really slow internet!