LinkBack Thread Tools
(#1 (permalink))
Old
MorbidCharade (Offline)
New to JF

Send a message via AIM to MorbidCharade Send a message via MSN to MorbidCharade
How much money would you recommend taking to Japan? - 03-24-2008, 04:16 AM

Not including air fare.

How much do hotels and taxis cost in Japan? I know that Tokyo is quite expensive.

So how much would you recommend taking to Japan if you planned to buy souvenirs and perhaps some clothing?

Hehe, I'm planning to take a trip there, but I would like to be adequately prepared, money wise, so my trip will be enjoyable. ^_^
(#2 (permalink))
Old
reptilesandsamurai (Offline)
JF Old Timer

03-24-2008, 05:09 AM

It's really hard to say how much to take. It depends on how expensive your tastes are. You can eat expensive meals and stay in 4 star hotels or you can eat ramen (the good kind not instant) and stay in more sensible hotels.

Also look at the guides by Hosetek on these forums. This is a good one to start out with.

Houseteks Guide To Tokyo

Reptiles have silly grins
Dark eyes--shiny teeth--some have fins
Samurai they smile never
Serious--pretty swords--very clever
(#3 (permalink))
Old
Leekun (Offline)
New to JF

Send a message via AIM to Leekun Send a message via MSN to Leekun Send a message via Yahoo to Leekun Send a message via Skype™ to Leekun
03-24-2008, 05:10 AM

How long are you planning to go for? It makes a big difference.
(#4 (permalink))
Old
aikochan86 (Offline)
JF Regular

03-24-2008, 05:19 AM

If you're okay with hostels there are nice places that are only about 3000yen a night.
(#5 (permalink))
Old
godwine (Offline)
自爆十秒前

03-24-2008, 12:55 PM

I spent approximately CDN 100 a day when I was there,. Where are you from? Most (again MOST, not all) bank cards will work if you use the ATM machine at postal outlet, the rate is much better than the little currency exchange box, and there is no service fee.

If you are trying to have everthing exchanged and bring with you, i would recommend approximately 1200 CDN or US for a week
(#6 (permalink))
Old
godwine (Offline)
自爆十秒前

03-24-2008, 01:03 PM

Click send too soon... food and hotels are not expensive... you can find decent hotel for approximately US60 per person per night, and if you are willing to go one notch lower in quality, you can get away with around 45US$. Check out JapanHotel.net Japanese Business Hotels, Ryokans, Minshukus, Guest Houses, Hot Springs and other accommodation they can offer you some advince

Transportation is what kills you, you can spend easily over a hundred dollars US if you are not careful with your transportation choices, Taxi cost a lot, unless you are splitting the cost with a big group. I wrote a starter guide here:

Lights, Camera, Action......

Small souvenir cost between 300円 750円 (key chains and small artifacts), while some more traditional ones cost up to 3000 or 10000円 (consider 100円 = 1 US or CDN)

Get yourself a JR pass (http://www.japanrailpass.net/), you will be relying heavily on the Yamanote and Chuo line when you are in Japan, each ride (depending on distance) will cost you between 120円 to about 350円

Good luck, let me know if you have further questions, i will try my best to help