JapanForum.com

JapanForum.com (https://www.japanforum.com/forum/)
-   Japan Travel Advice (https://www.japanforum.com/forum/japan-travel-advice/)
-   -   Partying and meeting people in Tokyo? (https://www.japanforum.com/forum/japan-travel-advice/17917-partying-meeting-people-tokyo.html)

RAKEL 08-02-2008 07:30 AM

Partying and meeting people in Tokyo?

Hey, first post.
Im going to Japan over the christmas holidays and 'new years'.

Whats the climate for partying like in Tokyo? Is it fun and wild? Where is the hotspots?

Whats the average japaneses attitude towards western guys/chicks? I mean, are we exotic, interesting and handsome?

Any cool places where they play strange and experimental music? (like Cornelius)

Thanks for many good threads and interesting reading. PEACE

SSJup81 08-02-2008 08:12 AM

The hot spots are probably located in places like Roppongi.

MMM 08-02-2008 08:15 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by RAKEL (Post 553570)
Hey, first post.
Im going to Japan over the christmas holidays and 'new years'.

Whats the climate for partying like in Tokyo? Is it fun and wild? Where is the hotspots?

Whats the average japaneses attitude towards western guys/chicks? I mean, are we exotic, interesting and handsome?

Any cool places where they play strange and experimental music? (like Cornelius)

And Japan is not South Beach or Ft. Lauderdale during spring break. Fun? yes. Wild? you gotta search that out.

Thanks for many good threads and interesting reading. PEACE

Not over New Year's. That is like Thanksgiving in Japan. Lots of things are closed.

There is no "average" attitude towards westerners. I think we stopped being "exotic" about 25 years ago. Handsome is in the eye of the beholder, and foreigners are always interesting, unless they are just trying to score with Japanese girls.

RAKEL 08-02-2008 09:22 AM

... or guys?:rolleyes:

MMM 08-02-2008 09:33 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by RAKEL (Post 553596)
... or guys?:rolleyes:

There are gay clubs and bars...especially in the big cities...Japan is more tolerant of alternative lifestyles than a lot of people think.

Henbaka 08-02-2008 01:09 PM

I can just recommend you not to only party in Roppongi. Gotta try shinjuku/shibuya also atleast, there are tons of "hot spots" there.

I'm not gay so I'm not sure, but I think the place to go for gay bars is Shinjuku? I remember hearing about somewhere there with tons of places for ppl that fancies their own sex..

MMM 08-02-2008 04:50 PM

I haven't been in Roppongi for a few, so I don't know what it is like now, but the last time I was there (in the late 90s) I thought it was a $+!+ hole. I liked Shinjuku much better...but I am hardly the Tokyo expert.

Henbaka 08-02-2008 05:55 PM

My experience is from '05, cant speak for other times really...

Roppongi is kinda tokyo's main meat market imo. I mainly went to the gas panic cafe /club 99 since I had a friend bartending there. If you are looking for pretty crazy&wild parties roppongi is worth a visit I think.

However, the best clubs aint in roppongi, but in shinjuku/shibuya. (atleast when I was there)

RAKEL 08-03-2008 01:46 PM

Haha, I DONT need to know about the gayclubs and where to find them.
But thanks for telling me where to find some fun places.

peace

Wasabista 08-03-2008 02:12 PM

Some of the local gaijin rags advertise parties, particularly in Tokyo. You can check these, as these are better places to meet and talk to people than noisy clubs. If you meet someone you click with, you might go clubbing with them another time.