JapanForum.com

JapanForum.com (https://www.japanforum.com/forum/)
-   Japan Travel Advice (https://www.japanforum.com/forum/japan-travel-advice/)
-   -   first trip to japan in october (https://www.japanforum.com/forum/japan-travel-advice/23068-first-trip-japan-october.html)

sarahbash 02-10-2009 11:50 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by godwine (Post 674034)
Kore wa ikura desu ka? - That there (Kore wa) how much (Ikura desu ka). that will be your "how much something is. Oishii (delicious) is enough to say a meal is nice.. there are other slang form which i will skip for now

What is your budget for hotel? And waht kind of shopping are you looking to do? Up scale brand name shopping can be done at Ginza and/or roppogi hills.. typical shopping can be done at many places, mainly shibuya and shinjuku, while you can also shop at the Decks at Odaiba (Recommended).. Sunshine city in ikebukuro is also nice

thanks again everyone.
i'm sure those phrases will really come in handy :)
it's a shame that I haven't yet had a chance to learn much japanese...
I only study French and Italian :/
I find that other countries are delighted when you attempt to speak their language so I'll just try my hardest :)

I'll mostly be shopping for alternative clothes while i'm there but I would also like to bring back some japanese souvenirs etc.
x

discoiskinky 02-11-2009 10:08 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by sarahbash (Post 674167)
thanks again everyone.
i'm sure those phrases will really come in handy :)
it's a shame that I haven't yet had a chance to learn much japanese...
I only study French and Italian :/
I find that other countries are delighted when you attempt to speak their language so I'll just try my hardest :)

I'll mostly be shopping for alternative clothes while i'm there but I would also like to bring back some japanese souvenirs etc.
x

If you are really interested in shopping for fashion you should buy the PDF shopping guide to Tokyo from superfuture.com

It is an excellent guide which is broken into different areas - Shibuya, Ginza etc etc with maps of each area with the specific markers for stores and quick store reviews. It caters to a range of brands but all in the more exclusive genre - if you are interested in japanese brands like number (n)ine, undercover, comme des garcons, julius, diet butcher slim skin, issey miyake, junya wantanabe, yohji etc etc this will be perfect - same with international brand like maison martin margiella, raf simons, rick owens. If you are more into generic fashion (gucci, prada blah blah) you probably dont need the guide because places like that arent hard to find but it does give some good info on cafes, restaurants and night life and gives you some good shopping itineraries based on what areas you should do in one day etc.

Buy it as close as possible to when you go as it gets updates weekly with new store openings and closures etc. From memory it's only $10.