JapanForum.com

JapanForum.com (https://www.japanforum.com/forum/)
-   Japan Travel Advice (https://www.japanforum.com/forum/japan-travel-advice/)
-   -   Is it this easy? (https://www.japanforum.com/forum/japan-travel-advice/23368-easy.html)

alanX 02-22-2009 08:33 PM

Is it this easy?

Say you're an American (obviously living in America), and you have a friend who lives in Japan who is willing to let you live with her for a few months. All I would need to do is buy round trip tickets to Japan, and when I arrive in Japan, I'll receive a Temporary Visitor's Visa, which is good for 90 days in Japan. Then I would just meet up with my friend at the airport, and go about my business in Japan.

Is this correct? Or is there more to it? I'm pretty sure I have to prove like "proof of financial stability" or something like that? Is there anything else?

Thanks.

isisbathory 02-22-2009 08:38 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by alanX (Post 677872)
Say you're an American (obviously living in America), and you have a friend who lives in Japan who is willing to let you live with her for a few months. All I would need to do is buy round trip tickets to Japan, and when I arrive in Japan, I'll receive a Temporary Visitor's Visa, which is good for 90 days in Japan. Then I would just meet up with my friend at the airport, and go about my business in Japan.

Is this correct? Or is there more to it? I'm pretty sure I have to prove like "proof of financial stability" or something like that? Is there anything else?

Thanks.

I dont know anything about the US, but I guess the best for you is to contact the japanese embassy...

alanX 02-22-2009 08:41 PM

Yeah, I thought about that, but I read how difficult it is to contact them.

I'm just looking for a quick "That's all you need to do." or "You also need to do this..." type answer.

godwine 02-22-2009 08:43 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by alanX (Post 677881)
Yeah, I thought about that, but I read how difficult it is to contact them.

I'm just looking for a quick "That's all you need to do." or "You also need to do this..." type answer.

If you are an American citizen, you will immediately get a 90 day visitor visa the minute you land, providing if you have the proper document (American passport showing that you are an American citizen).

alanX 02-22-2009 08:45 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by godwine (Post 677883)
If you are an American citizen, you will immediately get a 90 day visitor visa the minute you land, providing if you have the proper document (American passport showing that you are an American citizen).

Thanks a lot! ^_^ Just needed some assurance:vsign:

MMM 02-22-2009 09:16 PM

I have never had to show proof of financial resources if I had a return ticket.

alanX 02-22-2009 09:39 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MMM (Post 677912)
I have never had to show proof of financial resources if I had a return ticket.

Oh so a round trip ticket acts as my proof of stability? I'll need to show it?

MMM 02-22-2009 09:40 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by alanX (Post 677924)
Oh so a round trip ticket acts as my proof of stability? I'll need to show it?

They like to see you have a way to get home.

alanX 02-22-2009 11:51 PM

Gah, keep invisioning something going wrong =[

Like, my luggage never coming out of the luggage claim, or something.

I'm such an idiot.

Nyororin 02-23-2009 12:21 AM

As long as you have a return ticket and don`t plan to do anything like working (which you would require a different visa for) - Yes, that`s all you have to do.
Japan has a tourism exchange thing going with the US, so citizens of the two countries are granted a 90 tourist visa upon entry into the other. The return ticket isn`t for financial stability, just to make it clear that you plan on leaving and not overstaying your visa.

As for luggage not making it, well, that`s up to the airline. Some airlines and airports have better reputations than others. The Japan side is quite efficient - the US side, not so much so.