JapanForum.com  

LinkBack Thread Tools
(#11 (permalink))
Old
trunker (Offline)
JF Old Timer

10-06-2009, 12:36 PM

i went around mid november last year, and just about everything was covered in snow.

i flew out from haneda, and landed in asahikawa which has a nice zoo. wasnt my idea, but the people i was travelling with really really wanted to see the zoo for some reason.

there was about a couple inches of snow on the ground there.

from asahikawa, we headed into sapporo by train. took a couple hours, but it was a nice ride through the countryside.

we spent the night in sapporo and then headed to otaru the next day. again, another few hours, but it was worth it for the relatively cheap seafood and the onsen up there. they have one with an outdoor pool and if youre lucky you'll get there when its snowing.

we did all that in one weekend, since my friends had work in tokyo, and it wasnt too bad, apart from the getting up real early saturday to catch the plane to asahikawa.

weatherwise, it wasnt as bad as knuckles's storm when i went, but it was pretty cold. i would have been happier with a parka than my regular winter coat which kept me warm in tokyo, but since i was only there a couple days it wasnt that bad.
(#12 (permalink))
Old
hippykiller1 (Offline)
JF Regular

I've been to Hokkaido - 10-06-2009, 05:07 PM

I spent 10 days in Sapporo. If you're an avid snowboarder or skier hit up Neisiko. Its awesome.

Plus Sapporo is totally rad and easy to navigate. Check out my youtube channel, I document plenty on Sapporo... And more to come.

Sadly, I didn't have much time to bum around Hokkaido much. So my only opinions of the island are based upon Sapporo. But to say the least, what little I did see of Hokkaido, I would have loved to stay there longer.
(#13 (permalink))
Old
fatalbert130 (Offline)
JF Regular

北海道 - 10-09-2009, 02:10 AM

From the English Japanese who cannot talk.

In the latter half of November, it snows in the town.
I can suffer from a snowstorm in the town in the Sea of Japan coast. However, there is still little snow of that time. When it is December, there is more snow.

The town of Sapporo is lively. As for TANUKIKOUJI, many shops equal it in a street with the roof.
If it is December, a jump meet of the ski may be held in the Sapporo suburbs.
If it becomes almost Christmas, OODOORI PARK of Sapporo is given glory to with the light of illuminations.

Otaru is the town which ever did well by marine transportation. An old building is left.
You may enjoy a street along the canal.
And sushi is a delicious town.
There is more snow than Sapporo.

If you enjoy skiing, Niseko will be good. There are many English hotels to be connected with. (An Australian comes a lot for a summer vacation)The snow of Hokkaido is the best.

Furano and Biei are places having nothing.
But many Japanese like there.
In the early summer in particular, I am beautiful.
In TAKUSHINKAN in Biei, I can watch the photograph which I copied such a scenery into.

Hakodate is snowy few towns.
SAMURAI is the town which did the last fight.
I can enjoy the turnout of the market in the port.

In the eastern part of Hokkaido, most are ranches.
I can watch a Japanese crane on the Kushiro damp plain. It is a very elegant bird.
And there is much onsen.
Please enjoy it around from a free outdoor bath without the wall to a cheap public bath.

The northern part of Hokkaido has nothing.
There is land severe lonelily.
But there is quiet.
(If there is not it in a snowstorm)

The people who lived included the charm of Hokkaido in there.
I want to go again once when I come.

A postscript

Please mention the culture of Ainu race.
I like their unique culture.
(#14 (permalink))
Old
wasabijuice (Offline)
JF Regular

10-09-2009, 08:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fatalbert130 View Post
From the English Japanese who cannot talk.

The northern part of Hokkaido has nothing.
There is land severe lonelily.
But there is quiet.
(If there is not it in a snowstorm)

Fattoaruberuto northern Hokkaido, it's good, but there are many beautiful places. Shiretoko Peninsula, for example
(#15 (permalink))
Old
fatalbert130 (Offline)
JF Regular

10-09-2009, 10:02 AM

It is so.

Shiretoko of the summer is a good place.
But what is there in Shiretoko of the winter when drift ice does not come?

If there is something which I do not know in Shiretoko of the winter, please teach it to me.

The Shiretoko mountain pass of the winter is closed.

I feel "Edge of land" to come from the words of Ainu called "SHIRUETOKU" in Shiretoko of the winter.

But mostly the day when I went to Shiretoko is rainy whether it is snowy. Is it around 1st in summer that it was fine? It has been one week rain at the campground of hot water of the bear.

I have bad luck. w

I like "KUMANOYU 熊の湯" of Rausu and the outdoor bath of "Aidomari 相泊", but, in the first Hokkaido trip, do not recommend it to a person in Winterreise line, besides.
But it is the good place that can observe them near in winter of Shiretoko if it is interested in a bird and a beast.

Last edited by fatalbert130 : 10-10-2009 at 05:31 AM.