(#11 (permalink))
Old
mikephilip (Offline)
JF Regular

02-10-2011, 02:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Polar View Post
There are tons of things you'll stumble upon that you never thought of

I did my checklist in Tokyo in two days but fell into things I would never had thought of, that proved to be the most memorable for me.

Seeing the priests address the ancestors in Meiji Jingu was not something I planned but it's a memory I cherish, you'll have to be there around 8:00am to see it, and it wasn't something I planned, I just walked out of my hotel and decided today we're taking a right turn here ... lets see where that goes to.

Just get out and explore, I found more things getting "lost" so to speak i.e. I knew where I was but it wasn't where I wanted to be. Take the subways or find a spot and sit and let the city pass by you'll never know what you see
Thanks for the good advised friend.....
(#12 (permalink))
Old
PRB2428 (Offline)
New to JF

02-13-2011, 07:07 PM

Quote:
Just get out and explore, I found more things getting "lost" so to speak i.e. I knew where I was but it wasn't where I wanted to be. Take the subways or find a spot and sit and let the city pass by you'll never know what you see
I like your suggestion.
In September, I'm going to Tokyo for a week by myself for a business meeting in Minato-ku.
I'm staying in Shimbuya and have six free days to do whatever I want. I've received a lot of suggestions and offers for things to do but, I like the thought of just exploring with no real set itinerary.
I've done that while traveling through Europe and the U.S. before and had really enjoyable times.
I like to get off the beaten path and take photos.
I have some Japanese language skills and I'm taking further classes so, I'm hoping to be able to navigate myself around by the time I go.
I'm also hoping that because, I've been traveled previously to major populated cities (I've lived in Los Angeles and currently live in NYC) - that after the initial sensory overload feeling of being overwhelmed - I should be okay.
At least that's "My Plan".
(#13 (permalink))
Old
skywok (Offline)
New to JF

Getting lost is nice... - 02-16-2011, 11:38 AM

And I'd put Ueno and Harajuku up the top of your list. Particularly if you're going during Cherry Blossom season in April.

I think it's Yoyogi park which has all sorts of really interesting people and families, especially during Cherry Blossom season, but the other times too.
(#14 (permalink))
Old
siokan (Offline)
JF Old Timer

02-16-2011, 12:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikephilip View Post
wow...thanks...good infos sir... and where can i get to see turbo charged car and vip's style car in tokyo....i to photograph those too...
There is hardly a gathering recently.
The glory period is the 90's from the 80's.

Quote:
I'm interested with your modern and traditional culture...its awesome..
Kamakura is good.
Mt. Takao and Mt. Mitake on the edge of Tokyo are also good.
(There is a Shinto shrine in the hillside in the mountain.)

Please permit poor English. orz
Cryptanalysis is necessary for you.
set a goal:English at the same level as Johan Cruyff
(#15 (permalink))
Old
mikephilip (Offline)
JF Regular

02-18-2011, 01:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by siokan View Post
There is hardly a gathering recently.
The glory period is the 90's from the 80's.

Kamakura is good.
Mt. Takao and Mt. Mitake on the edge of Tokyo are also good.
(There is a Shinto shrine in the hillside in the mountain.)
thanks Sir...very informative.....can't wait for my trip....hope can meet some JF members there....
(#16 (permalink))
Old
samokan (Offline)
0xFFFF_FFFF

02-18-2011, 05:47 AM

Quote:
There are tons of things you'll stumble upon that you never thought of

I did my checklist in Tokyo in two days but fell into things I would never had thought of, that proved to be the most memorable for me.

Seeing the priests address the ancestors in Meiji Jingu was not something I planned but it's a memory I cherish, you'll have to be there around 8:00am to see it, and it wasn't something I planned, I just walked out of my hotel and decided today we're taking a right turn here ... lets see where that goes to.

that is something i have done a lot of times already and loving it.

*** Omnia Muntantor, Nihil Interit ***

My Japan Life

-------------------------------------
(#17 (permalink))
Old
samurai007 (Offline)
JF Old Timer

02-19-2011, 01:21 AM

Nikko is a great place to visit, just 2 hours north of Tokyo.

And I agree with those that said get out of Tokyo! There are far more interesting places and things to see in Japan than Tokyo. The Kansai area has a lot to see, for instance.

JET Program, 1996-98, Wakayama-ken, Hashimoto-shi

Link to pictures from my time in Japan