JapanForum.com  

LinkBack Thread Tools
(#1 (permalink))
Old
ThinasLWD (Offline)
JF Regular

Tokyo, Summer '12. - 10-03-2011, 08:30 PM

Hello forum.

I have a rather simple series of questions (Or so I believe). It's about me and my sister planning to visit Japan, Tokyo mainly, around July '12-August '12.

Here's what it is. This year we'll both graduate from high school and we thought it'd be fun to travel to Japan, considered by the both of us to be one of the ultimate destinations in the world. So anyway, we were planning to stay no longer than 30 days but no shorter than around 3,5 weeks, around 24 days. We'll mainly just want to be in and around Tokyo (It's ginormous anyway), visiting things like the Imperial Gardens and just shopping till we drop. However I am not purely visiting Japan because it's awesome, I really want to experience the culture, see things not possible seeing in Western countries (I'm from Holland, buuh.).

ACTUAL QUESTION (1):
Now we are unwilling to stay there for longer than a month so I figured I'd ask you guys for a list of absolute MUST-SEE's in Tokyo, ranging from tourist attractions to freaking theme parks and whatever you can think of, I don't mind. Just shoot some things at us and we'll look into it.

ACTUAL QUESTION (2):
Accomodation. I, along with my sister, am a noob regarding anything about the Japanese language so it'd be easier for us to maybe book something via Internet and/or mail. Just remember we will be staying in Tokyo so I need something there. Our budget (For a place to stay) is something around €60-70 a day, so around $75-90.

ACTUAL QUESTION (3):
If possible, we'd love to visit one of those traditional Japanese villages. I've seen lots of it in anime, manga and movies but I want to experience it in real life. Any possibilities on tours for tourists to visit any of these villages close to Tokyo ? If not, any other suggestions ?

ACTUAL QUESTION (4):
I am obsessed with tall skycrapers. Does anyone here know about the highest building accessable for tourists/civilians in Tokyo ? I'd love to have a great view over the city just for pictures.

I might have some more stuff to ask but I'm sure I'm already being a handful just asking these. Thanks in advance because it's really hard for me to plan this thing around since I don't know a thing about Japan.

Tomasu .

Last edited by ThinasLWD : 10-03-2011 at 09:52 PM.
(#2 (permalink))
Old
JohnBraden (Offline)
Busier Than Shinjuku Station

10-03-2011, 11:25 PM

Tokyo Sky Tree will be open by then. It will be the tallest structure you'll be able to see from in Tokyo, if not Japan.

TOKYO SKY TREE

When I go to Japan, I tend to stay in hotels with a rate higher than $100/day, so I can't help you there....

As far as places to go, you can go here and see: http://www.japan-guide.com/e/e2164.html or here: http://wikitravel.org/en/Tokyo or even here: Japan National Tourism Organization | Find a Location | Tokyo | Tokyo

There's a lot of information out there....
(#3 (permalink))
Old
godwine (Offline)
自爆十秒前

10-04-2011, 12:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThinasLWD View Post
Hello forum.

I have a rather simple series of questions (Or so I believe). It's about me and my sister planning to visit Japan, Tokyo mainly, around July '12-August '12.

Here's what it is. This year we'll both graduate from high school and we thought it'd be fun to travel to Japan, considered by the both of us to be one of the ultimate destinations in the world. So anyway, we were planning to stay no longer than 30 days but no shorter than around 3,5 weeks, around 24 days. We'll mainly just want to be in and around Tokyo (It's ginormous anyway), visiting things like the Imperial Gardens and just shopping till we drop. However I am not purely visiting Japan because it's awesome, I really want to experience the culture, see things not possible seeing in Western countries (I'm from Holland, buuh.).

ACTUAL QUESTION (1):
Now we are unwilling to stay there for longer than a month so I figured I'd ask you guys for a list of absolute MUST-SEE's in Tokyo, ranging from tourist attractions to freaking theme parks and whatever you can think of, I don't mind. Just shoot some things at us and we'll look into it.

ACTUAL QUESTION (2):
Accomodation. I, along with my sister, am a noob regarding anything about the Japanese language so it'd be easier for us to maybe book something via Internet and/or mail. Just remember we will be staying in Tokyo so I need something there. Our budget (For a place to stay) is something around €60-70 a day, so around $75-90.

ACTUAL QUESTION (3):
If possible, we'd love to visit one of those traditional Japanese villages. I've seen lots of it in anime, manga and movies but I want to experience it in real life. Any possibilities on tours for tourists to visit any of these villages close to Tokyo ? If not, any other suggestions ?

ACTUAL QUESTION (4):
I am obsessed with tall skycrapers. Does anyone here know about the highest building accessable for tourists/civilians in Tokyo ? I'd love to have a great view over the city just for pictures.

I might have some more stuff to ask but I'm sure I'm already being a handful just asking these. Thanks in advance because it's really hard for me to plan this thing around since I don't know a thing about Japan.

Tomasu .
First off, why only Tokyo? You probably will run out of things to do in about 2 weeks even including side trips within a 3hours driving radius

For question 4, I'd also recommed visiting Yokohama - Landmark Tower...
(#4 (permalink))
Old
ThinasLWD (Offline)
JF Regular

10-04-2011, 07:34 PM

@ JohnBraden, Holy woops @ The Sky Tree, I'll be sure to go there if it's opened by then. I can't thank you enough for that piece of information. The sites also seem extremely helpful, thanks a whole bunch dude.. For real .

@ GodWine, I do not think that I will get that bored. I am not that much of an experienced traveler but as far as I'm concerned I'll be able to survive and keep myself going round for three weeks without getting bored. I've been to Indonesia twice, stayed in two cities, each for around a month and never got bored. Also, one of the cities was like 1/012938 the size of Tokyo, so I'm sure that won't be a problem. Shopping is a great remedy for boredom (For me at least) should that even occur. I might just visit Yokohama though since (Looking at the map) it's practically part of Tokyo. I'll see if I can make it to the Landmark Tower. Thanks for the information !
(#5 (permalink))
Old
godwine (Offline)
自爆十秒前

10-04-2011, 07:47 PM

Quote:
@ JohnBraden, Holy woops @ The Sky Tree, I'll be sure to go there if it's opened by then. I can't thank you enough for that piece of information. The sites also seem extremely helpful, thanks a whole bunch dude.. For real .

@ GodWine, I do not think that I will get that bored. I am not that much of an experienced traveler but as far as I'm concerned I'll be able to survive and keep myself going round for three weeks without getting bored. I've been to Indonesia twice, stayed in two cities, each for around a month and never got bored. Also, one of the cities was like 1/012938 the size of Tokyo, so I'm sure that won't be a problem. Shopping is a great remedy for boredom (For me at least) should that even occur. I might just visit Yokohama though since (Looking at the map) it's practically part of Tokyo. I'll see if I can make it to the Landmark Tower. Thanks for the information !
Ok, so in that case, i would say to make side trips to many different surrounding cities. You are correct, yokohama is almost part of tokyo, its very very close by, a lot to see and do around yokohama... you probably can find things to do at odaiba as well
(#6 (permalink))
Old
ThinasLWD (Offline)
JF Regular

10-04-2011, 10:32 PM

Thanks for the reply again ! I'll be sure to look those cities up.. I just really need to ask, do you know any hotels that don't exceed above $100 a night ? It'd be greatly appreciated.
(#7 (permalink))
Old
godwine (Offline)
自爆十秒前

10-04-2011, 10:43 PM

Quote:
Thanks for the reply again ! I'll be sure to look those cities up.. I just really need to ask, do you know any hotels that don't exceed above $100 a night ? It'd be greatly appreciated.
There are plenty...

Do a search on this site

JapanHotel.net Japanese Business Hotels, Ryokans, Minshukus, Guest Houses, Hot Springs and other accommodation

I had really good experience with Super Hotel Shin Yokohama, if you don't mind having to take a 45 minutes train ride daily to Tokyo area.. Super Hotel also have other facilities in Tokyo but I've never been

Super Hotel
(#8 (permalink))
Old
ThinasLWD (Offline)
JF Regular

10-05-2011, 08:07 AM

Thanks a whole bunch dude ! However.. How do I get from the aiport to a hotel for a normal price ? Are cabs expensive out there ?
(#9 (permalink))
Old
JohnBraden (Offline)
Busier Than Shinjuku Station

10-05-2011, 08:56 AM

Quote:
Thanks a whole bunch dude ! However.. How do I get from the aiport to a hotel for a normal price ? Are cabs expensive out there ?
Use the train... the cheapest way is the Keisei Line at about 1000-1200 yen versus the NEX (Narita Express) about 2400 yen or Limousine Bus to hotels at 3000 yen. Cabs can cost a flat rate of 17000-19000 or 30000 yen....
(#10 (permalink))
Old
ThinasLWD (Offline)
JF Regular

10-05-2011, 10:32 AM

My issues with the train are really, I'm sure we'll both have at least 1 huge suitcase and, are people going to be helpful if I ask them which train to take haha. Is there a train connection close to the airport(s) ?