JapanForum.com  

LinkBack Thread Tools
(#1 (permalink))
Old
Igawa29 (Offline)
KQUEST

Dress Codes or Proper Attire - 10-13-2011, 05:51 PM

I just got tickets for a Geisha Dance in November at the Gion Kaikan Theatre, and I am trying to figure out what the dress code would be for this event.
Also my wife and I are going to a Takarazuka play and wondered what the dress code was for that event as well.
Thanks!
(#2 (permalink))
Old
Columbine (Offline)
Busier Than Shinjuku Station

10-14-2011, 01:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Igawa29 View Post
I just got tickets for a Geisha Dance in November at the Gion Kaikan Theatre, and I am trying to figure out what the dress code would be for this event.
Also my wife and I are going to a Takarazuka play and wondered what the dress code was for that event as well.
Thanks!
What would you normally wear to a theatre performance? Gion, and especially the dances, tend to be more on the high brow side of things. I've only been to Kabuki but a lot of the Japanese women came wearing kimono and men with collared shirts and ties. This was a matinee. So I'd probably err on the side of caution and go with a jacket, shirt and tie for yourself and something smart for your wife. People in Japan are usually more likely to dress too smartly than too casually so it'll be more awkward if you stick out for being too casual than too smart. If it's an evening performance than especially so! The Takarazuka play will probably be a bit less formal; think casual smart, so trousers not jeans, proper shoes not trainers etc. In my mind, the geisha dances are on a par with going to the ballet and Takarazuka is more like seeing a normal play.
(#3 (permalink))
Old
Igawa29 (Offline)
KQUEST

10-14-2011, 12:09 PM

Thank you so much, I was debating if I should pack nice clothes or not and sounds like I should. Should be an interesting experience and I always enjoy looking nice and dressing up for the right occasion.

Thanks
(#4 (permalink))
Old
samokan (Offline)
0xFFFF_FFFF

10-17-2011, 05:26 AM

Quote:
Thanks!
There are people who would go to this kind of event , both foreign and local, in their jeans and sneaker, but majority would be in their semi-formal attire.

Hmm, Geisha Dance, I should check that one too. I have been in Kansai for years and have never been to a Geisha Dance ..

*** Omnia Muntantor, Nihil Interit ***

My Japan Life

-------------------------------------
(#5 (permalink))
Old
Igawa29 (Offline)
KQUEST

10-17-2011, 11:42 AM

It was out of the blue that my wife and I are going. Our travel agent had extra tickets and asked if we wanted them for free. I just thought it would be a really great thing to go see.

Ended up getting a wrinkle free shirt, wrinkle free tie, and wrinkle free pants... figure if it is all getting packed, I don't want the wrinkles.
(#6 (permalink))
Old
Columbine (Offline)
Busier Than Shinjuku Station

10-17-2011, 02:16 PM

Quote:
It was out of the blue that my wife and I are going. Our travel agent had extra tickets and asked if we wanted them for free. I just thought it would be a really great thing to go see.

Ended up getting a wrinkle free shirt, wrinkle free tie, and wrinkle free pants... figure if it is all getting packed, I don't want the wrinkles.
Depending on where you stay, your hotel might have a mini iron in the room or an ironing service anyway.
(#7 (permalink))
Old
Igawa29 (Offline)
KQUEST

10-18-2011, 12:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Columbine View Post
Depending on where you stay, your hotel might have a mini iron in the room or an ironing service anyway.
Thanks, good to know as a just in case