JapanForum.com

JapanForum.com (https://www.japanforum.com/forum/)
-   Japanese Art (https://www.japanforum.com/forum/japanese-art/)
-   -   Need help finding a Haruki Murakami book (https://www.japanforum.com/forum/japanese-art/32377-need-help-finding-haruki-murakami-book.html)

gerek 06-16-2010 10:32 AM

Need help finding a Haruki Murakami book

Greetings everyone!

I'm looking for Haruki Murakami's book, ノルウェイの森 (Norwegian Wood) in Japanese. I want to get it for my girlfriend who is Japanese for her language studies. She has the book in her home in Japan but she won't be going back for a long time.

I'd love to buy the book in paperback form if I could but where I live it's impossible to find it. So I hope someone can help me find it in e-book form. Thanks in advance.

Columbine 06-16-2010 12:34 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by gerek (Post 816044)
Greetings everyone!

I'm looking for Haruki Murakami's book, ノルウェイの森 (Norwegian Wood) in Japanese. I want to get it for my girlfriend who is Japanese for her language studies. She has the book in her home in Japan but she won't be going back for a long time.

I'd love to buy the book in paperback form if I could but where I live it's impossible to find it. So I hope someone can help me find it in e-book form. Thanks in advance.

Probably the easiest way is to buy a copy off of amazon Japan and get it forwarded from a japanese address. Maybe your girlfriend's parents house or a friend or something? Also some idea which continent you live in might help.

gerek 06-16-2010 06:32 PM

Can you tell me the difference between ノルウェイの森(上) and ノルウェイの森(下)? What does (上) and (下) mean?

Columbine 06-16-2010 06:48 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by gerek (Post 816098)
Can you tell me the difference between ノルウェイの森(上) and ノルウェイの森(下)? What does (上) and (下) mean?

上 and 下 mean 'up/higher' and 'down/lower' respectively. It refers to the two parts; for some reason the Japanese release of the book was sold in two volumes, so it looks like you'll need to get both to get the complete story.

gerek 06-16-2010 07:48 PM

Thanks for the help, I was pretty confused :)

Columbine 06-16-2010 09:41 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by gerek (Post 816105)
Thanks for the help, I was pretty confused :)

Yeah, not something I've ever come across before. I guess they did a double release to boost sales or something.

MMM 06-16-2010 09:54 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Columbine (Post 816111)
Yeah, not something I've ever come across before. I guess they did a double release to boost sales or something.

That's a pretty common practice.

Columbine 06-16-2010 10:36 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MMM (Post 816116)
That's a pretty common practice.

huh. Learn something new every day. Actually, now that I think about it, I can think of other novels that were released in chapter volumes. >.>; Any particular reason they use 上下rather than numerals?

Sashimister 06-17-2010 01:55 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Columbine (Post 816117)
Any particular reason they use 上下rather than numerals?

We never know how many volumes there are in total if they are named 1 and 2.

2 volumes > 上下
3 volumes > 上中下
more than 3 >  1, 2, 3, ....., 最終巻

kirakira 06-17-2010 02:43 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Columbine (Post 816053)
Probably the easiest way is to buy a copy off of amazon Japan and get it forwarded from a japanese address. Maybe your girlfriend's parents house or a friend or something? Also some idea which continent you live in might help.

That would be very very stupid since Amazon Japan ships books anywhere in the world via EMS. They also ship DVDs, Blurays, CDs as well. The only thing they don't ship overseas is software and electronics.