JapanForum.com

JapanForum.com (https://www.japanforum.com/forum/)
-   Japanese Fashion (https://www.japanforum.com/forum/japanese-fashion/)
-   -   American gothic lolitas (https://www.japanforum.com/forum/japanese-fashion/11550-american-gothic-lolitas.html)

Konata 02-09-2008 10:53 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tsuzuki
heh me too :3 But I makes many gothic clothes by my self =D and It looks soooooooooooooo cool lol but sometimes to cute ^^"""

Actually, the point is looking sophisticated, cute and innocent. Not scary. Definitely not Mana-like. God no.

Quote:

Originally Posted by kireikoori
I haven't worn the stuff, but I think it might be kinda neat to. But umm...I dunno exactly where to buy. I've seen online stores before but I forget the URLs.

Try these. They ship overseas.
Baby, the Stars Shine Bright
Manifesteange Metamorphosé Temps de Fille
Fan+Friend Be careful when buying from them! Some of their stuff is bad quality!
Anna House
Moi-Même-Moitié
Closet Child

MissJessieCafe 02-11-2008 11:01 PM

pretty power

Hi im jessie cafe im a sweet lolita, but all my loli friends are gothic lolitas. we have a lolita group here in Madison, wisconsin. there are lolita groups all over America i suggest looking for a group on live journal. we are all over!!! by the way the english version of gothic & lolita bible is out!!! yay i can finally read the patterns!!!:rheart: :rheart: :rheart:

GothicDollypop 03-05-2008 10:05 AM

I think, so far, what I'm seeing on this site is that most people have very out-dated ideas of Visual Kei and Lolita fashion. Like the person above me posted, the first English Gothic & Lolita Bible is already out (I bought one) and it's only a matter of time before these looks are more widely seen outside Japan.

But do you all -really- want it to become just another media mainstream joke? I, for one, am sick and tired of seeing Goths and Punks still being bashed in random movies and being the punchline of jokes. In my opinion, the less people who know about Lolita fashion, the better. Mainstream society just destroys good things or brainwashes people into thinking there's something bad about them.

~

gloomth 03-05-2008 03:24 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by GothicDollypop (Post 419023)

But do you all -really- want it to become just another media mainstream joke? I, for one, am sick and tired of seeing Goths and Punks still being bashed in random movies and being the punchline of jokes. In my opinion, the less people who know about Lolita fashion, the better. Mainstream society just destroys good things or brainwashes people into thinking there's something bad about them.

~

I tend to agree. Its an extremist interpretation of what the god-awful media does to anything artistic or original, but its true.

I hate how "Goth" has become mass-marketted and you can walk into any store in the mall and buy a whole crappy outfit emblazoned with pink skulls and call yourself "Gothic". Which is ABSOLUTELY not Gothic, and never was.

Meh, Im a bitter old sod whos been wearing her fishnets and black since the late 80s. (oh man I just dated myself big time there) ha,

GothicDollypop 03-06-2008 05:28 AM

Quote: " I tend to agree. Its an extremist interpretation of what the god-awful media does to anything artistic or original, but its true.

I hate how "Goth" has become mass-marketted and you can walk into any store in the mall and buy a whole crappy outfit emblazoned with pink skulls and call yourself "Gothic". Which is ABSOLUTELY not Gothic, and never was.

Meh, Im a bitter old sod whos been wearing her fishnets and black since the late 80s. (oh man I just dated myself big time there) ha, "

@ gloomth: Lol, yes, I did exaggerate to a certain degree but I guess you still get what I meant to say XD

I totally agree and don't worry about dating yourself ^^ ! I' (for one) am not exactly that young either .__.;

Do you happen to run a clothing brand called gloomth by any chance?.. Or maybe you run/help run the website 8o ?

~

MaymeRachael 03-14-2008 01:46 AM

Do you have any idea how hard it is to be taken seriously in Southern Illinois <middle of a cornfield> walking around in a larger version of a doll dress?????? >_< <sigh>

1svengali 07-29-2010 01:05 PM

Dear Vanity

Quote:

Originally Posted by Konata (Post 392713)
If you dress in something you love, does standing out matter? But PLEASE, PLEASE, PLEASE WEAR LOLITA PROPERLY. TTOOTT It makes my CRY BLOOD when I see itarori everywhere in my country! It's just sad. You WILL be the subject of ridicule if you a) wear clothes with raschel lace b) don't wear socks c) wear any other shoes than mary janes, rocking horses or nice boots d) your skirt is too short (it's supposed to be knee length) or e) wear Bodyline or Rakuen. I wear gothic lolita myself. That's what lolita in general is called in Japan. In the west world my subfashion is called sweet lolita. It's cute and mostly pastel colored. You might want to check out the lolita handbook on LJ before you even try out the fashion. Do it properly, once and for all. If you do it wrong, I will personally be the one to put you down.

I know what I'm going to say is a matter of OPINION. This is my PERSONAL opinion, so please, don't be mad because of what I say. Now onwards. One of the most important points of lolita fashion is, that it's not only clothes. It's also thoughts. It's, for most, a way of life. That doesn't mean you only sip tea and take walks etc. It means you speak properly and have generally good manners. I hate to see when a lolita cannot behave properly. This also includes proper grammar and punctuation, EVEN ONLINE.

Do it wrong on egl, you end up on getoffegl and are going to get hate mail. Do it wrong elsewhere, you end up on egl_fail_tales and are going to get hate mail. Deal with it.

Now where are my fangirls?

:confused: And here I thought it was about having fun and feeling good.

There are fashion nazi's in America too... and we laugh at them :mtongue:

dirtyroboto 07-29-2010 03:32 PM

Sorry to burst your collective bubble, but Japan has already moved on from the gl phase.
Go to any of the places you used to see them and you will see a few stragglers for the benefit of the tourist cameras.

The whole scene has moved on and is now in a transition. We are waiting for the next new thing to bloom.

Like cosplay, GL has been taken to heart by people who do not live in Japan. The whole thing looses identity and becomes old hat.

Understand that the whole reason to do these things and be these people is to create an unique style and attitude. This stops being unique when people start copying it for copy sake. The creators move on and the copiers stand still.

While you are all talking about the latest lolli style the Japanese girls are already doing something that you wont understand for at least 3 years.

1svengali 07-30-2010 01:08 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dirtyroboto (Post 821925)
Sorry to burst your collective bubble, but Japan has already moved on from the gl phase.
Go to any of the places you used to see them and you will see a few stragglers for the benefit of the tourist cameras.

The whole scene has moved on and is now in a transition. We are waiting for the next new thing to bloom.

Like cosplay, GL has been taken to heart by people who do not live in Japan. The whole thing looses identity and becomes old hat.

Understand that the whole reason to do these things and be these people is to create an unique style and attitude. This stops being unique when people start copying it for copy sake. The creators move on and the copiers stand still.

While you are all talking about the latest lolli style the Japanese girls are already doing something that you wont understand for at least 3 years.

Well aren't you special.... oh wait that is how all fads in all countries work. In America we have a new trend every season. Congratulations! you are still just like everyone else

xXEAPTVXx 07-31-2010 01:18 AM

It's really annoying at how expensive everything is >_< I live in CT and there are absolutely NO lolita stores near where I live. The only ones I know of are in CA. :mad: So the only way I could get Lolita clothing, which I would, is either A) But from Japan. That would be EXPENSIVE and I my parents hate using their credit cards. Or B) Buy from the stores in CA or wherever they are. But once again, no credit cards. So the only way I could get lolita clothing is by making it myself, which I'd be willing to try but I have such little patience for jobs like that. --sigh-- Has anyone made their own lolita clothing?