JapanForum.com

JapanForum.com (https://www.japanforum.com/forum/)
-   Japanese Fashion (https://www.japanforum.com/forum/japanese-fashion/)
-   -   Why do many japanese want to have white skin? (https://www.japanforum.com/forum/japanese-fashion/14839-why-do-many-japanese-want-have-white-skin.html)

mercedesjin 06-15-2009 11:14 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ronin4hire (Post 734281)
You fail then because MMM's points trump yours.

I'll just add that you can only say Internalized racism is a factor when dealing with race directly. Any connection you make between mainstream Japanese perceptions of beauty amongst themselves and portrayals of Black people by the media are not very credible because you can do little more than suggest them. Also that this tradition has been long established before black people even existed in the consciousness of Japanese society is a much better, more rational explanation.

I'm starting to see that on this forum, I'll always fail. At least, in the eyes of its members. I'm not sure, but I think that most of its members are white. Meaning that most of its members have privilege. Like I said, people with privilege will most likely defend racism. Hey, that's the system that allows them to live life in society so brilliantly while people who are oppressed - well, fail.

Just curious, and this is a question for MMM also: have you ever studied race relations? It doesn't matter for which country. Seriously, I'm not trying to put you down, not trying to say "WELL I HAVE SO OMG I'M SMARTER THAN YOU." I'm just curious.

If not, then I really suggest that you do. It's amazing how subtle racism has become. (The most prominent example is the experiment with black children and dolls, and asking them which dolls are prettier, and them replying the white ones.) Like I said before, it's something that effects every nation that has any type of media.

Someone recounted to me a story of them being in Japan and seeing a black girl be called a slave in an argument. I personally feel that people in Japan know who black people are - know black peoples history. I think that in the past, Japanese people have taken some Western ideas of black people that are inherently racist. That's really all I'm saying.

Also, I think it's just a little silly to try and disprove the idea of "white skin is better than dark skin" as being racist. It's fine to like white skin and say that it is just as beautiful to dark skin. Saying that it's better is racist. The definition of racism. I'm a little upset at myself that I've been arguing that basic point for so long.

darksyndrem 06-15-2009 01:43 PM

People just like too much to assume things are rascist. It's pretty ridiculous imo...........just thought I'd say :)

darksyndrem 06-15-2009 01:57 PM

People just like too much to assume things are rascist. It's pretty ridiculous imo...........just thought I'd say :)

Koir 06-15-2009 02:14 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mercedesjin (Post 734286)
I'm starting to see that on this forum, I'll always fail. At least, in the eyes of its members. I'm not sure, but I think that most of its members are white. Meaning that most of its members have privilege. Like I said, people with privilege will most likely defend racism. Hey, that's the system that allows them to live life in society so brilliantly while people who are oppressed - well, fail.

The last word in the quoted material perfectly encapsulates the validity of your entire argument.

iPhantom 06-15-2009 03:12 PM

Quote:

Try being a white and go to a place full of black people... then come back at me saying who is racist or not. Because of your thinking that white people are so racist, a lot of black people hate white people as well.

You're the racist one.

johanna17 06-15-2009 03:27 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by hentailover92 (Post 469110)
well maybe having white skin is like showing how delicate they are and such and no people where a jacket on a hot day just so they wont get a tan

haha i used to do that...

xYinniex 06-15-2009 03:36 PM

BAHAHA. Everybody's a little bit racist =)

MMM 06-16-2009 12:00 AM

Quote:

I am not sure why you see it as a contest. I thought it was a discussion. And actually there are a quite a few black members on this forum. If being white makes my opinion less valuable, then so be it. However, don't call me a racist. If you want to find failure in your argument there it is.

Quote:

Just curious, and this is a question for MMM also: have you ever studied race relations? It doesn't matter for which country. Seriously, I'm not trying to put you down, not trying to say "WELL I HAVE SO OMG I'M SMARTER THAN YOU." I'm just curious.

Absolutely, and probably before you were even born. I am not sure what difference it makes, and I am not going to pull the degrees down off my wall to show why I am right and you are wrong. There are plenty of people who will have a pi$$ing contest with you, but I am not one of them.
Quote:

If not, then I really suggest that you do. It's amazing how subtle racism has become. (The most prominent example is the experiment with black children and dolls, and asking them which dolls are prettier, and them replying the white ones.) Like I said before, it's something that effects every nation that has any type of media.

In another way of thinking, it's amazing how unacceptable racism has become in mainstream media, independent media and in basic human relations. But that is really off topic. We were talking about Japan and perceptions of skin color.

Quote:

Someone recounted to me a story of them being in Japan and seeing a black girl be called a slave in an argument. I personally feel that people in Japan know who black people are - know black peoples history. I think that in the past, Japanese people have taken some Western ideas of black people that are inherently racist. That's really all I'm saying.

Sure some people do. A very fundamental understanding.

Quote:

Also, I think it's just a little silly to try and disprove the idea of "white skin is better than dark skin" as being racist. It's fine to like white skin and say that it is just as beautiful to dark skin. Saying that it's better is racist. The definition of racism. I'm a little upset at myself that I've been arguing that basic point for so long.

Here's the problem. you are making the assumption that if a Japanese woman prefers not to get tan and prefers a lighter tone to her skin than a darker tone that it has something to do with white people and black people. That is a little like saying if I choose an orange car over a red car I must like carrots more than apples. Again (well, maybe I shouldn't say "again" because you stop reading my last explanation) in an essentially mono-racial society light and dark isn't always about white people and black people.

If a black person in New York likes to eat Chinese food, it doesn't mean he hates Koreans.

Tenchu 06-16-2009 09:35 AM

Quote:

Actually, Ronin is New Zealander, and I am Australian. We are both white, yet there is no question that minorities hold most the cards in our countries, and being white often gives you less rights or "privalleges".

Regardless, our skin color has little to do with the social behaviour of Japan; a country that has never suffered problems like American, Europe or Australia when it comes to racism (race racism, not social class racism).

Ronin4hire 06-16-2009 12:05 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tenchu (Post 734592)
Actually, Ronin is New Zealander, and I am Australian. We are both white, yet there is no question that minorities hold most the cards in our countries, and being white often gives you less rights or "privalleges".

Regardless, our skin color has little to do with the social behaviour of Japan; a country that has never suffered problems like American, Europe or Australia when it comes to racism (race racism, not social class racism).

Aw c'mon man! Even when we're on the same side you go and say something that I can't agree with.

Minorities don't "hold most of the cards" here in New Zealand. That's crap... and I'd challenge you to the Australian position to.

Just speak for yourself please.