JapanForum.com

JapanForum.com (https://www.japanforum.com/forum/)
-   Japanese Food (https://www.japanforum.com/forum/japanese-food/)
-   -   Slaughtering Japanse Meals (https://www.japanforum.com/forum/japanese-food/23328-slaughtering-japanse-meals.html)

Tenchu 12-19-2009 08:07 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TalnSG (Post 790633)
even to the inane American practice of shifting the fork back and forth when using a knife to cut the food.

What? How so? Why?

Sakamae 12-19-2009 08:14 AM

HUh:confused:

MMM 12-19-2009 08:36 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MMM (Post 677460)
In Osaka they use the mini metal spatula to eat okonomiyaki, but I hear they don't do that in Hiroshima.

It is called a "teko" I understand.

Sakamae 12-19-2009 08:43 AM

english plaese

MMM 12-19-2009 08:52 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sakamae (Post 790722)
english plaese

I think you are getting English. Be specific. Quote who you are talking to.

Sakamae 12-19-2009 09:17 AM

Ok sorry about that.

MMM 12-19-2009 09:28 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sakamae (Post 790728)
Ok sorry about that.

Don't apologize. Be specific, correct yourself, or don't post at all.

WhoIsDaffy 12-19-2009 02:02 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MMM (Post 790090)
If you have no respect for anything but yourself, no one will have any respect for you. What you are trying to express will never be heard.[/b]

Enjoy the rest of your stay in fantasyland.

lolz, "or dont post at all"

over zealous much?

because that last post of your makes look so cool, and in no way petty,sad or pathetic

-
yea tools for food vary alot.
in some places you use food, to eat food!
yummy,

MMM 12-19-2009 05:00 PM

A funny look at how seriously people can take food in Japan

YouTube - tampopo

Columbine 12-19-2009 05:01 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by WhoIsDaffy (Post 790761)
because that last post of your makes look so cool, and in no way petty,sad or pathetic

You know that expression about glasshouses?

You; Kew gardens; trebuchet.

Just sayin'~

But to bring this back on topic, yes, I think there is a proper way to eat something. Certainly there is a proper way to serve something. I'd be really disappointed in a restaurant if they served my dinner with the wrong cutlery and downright peeved if my red wine turned up over ice in a hi-ball. Most things are served in a way that improves the taste or else makes the consumption easier, so it only make sense to use those ways.

Does culture matter in all this? Certainly. It's not about kowtowing to someone else's culture, nor about asserting your own, it's about showing manners and a little sensitivity to your public surroundings. If I took a friend to a nice english place and they insisted on their dinner being served on a tray they could have on their lap and ate with their fingers, I'd be mortified. That's fine if you're at home or a fast food joint, but not in that kind of restaurant. Sticking your chopsticks upright in your rice in a japanese restaurant amounts to the same thing as far as I'm concerned. It's gauche.

EDIT: Might just be me MMM, but I can't see the video. Just a big white blank.