JapanForum.com  

LinkBack Thread Tools
(#1 (permalink))
Old
keropisupakewl (Offline)
New to JF

Red face american girl in japan. - 12-29-2007, 03:58 AM

Okay, well, i really like japanese, but....okay well i can honestly say that i am cute.i am average height and i weigh about hmm..110-115.and i have chcolately/honey-streaked brown hair, with bangs, like they're slightly curled under and kinds long, um i am kinda girly.and i'm quiet., please don't make fun of me for putting that all on there but i have to give you a general idea.
but um, if i were to go to japan would i be called a henna gaijin.
like, if i learn the language and speak it fluently, and can write kanji,(i already know hiragana and katakana would htey be racist against me because i have had a few japanese friends,(girls)and i just naturally get along with asian people that can't speak much english, and i am naturally drawn to them.so, tell what ya thinkg thanks ^-^
(#2 (permalink))
Old
Jawful (Offline)
New to JF

01-08-2008, 10:02 AM

Uh, I don't think you would be henna gaijin 'cause of how you look, but your post starts pointing you in that way. You sound young, and to be honest, the sooner you move to a country like Japan, the better you will get naturally with the language. Seems every person who came to Japan as a teenager speaks Japanese with very little accent, and I meet all kinds of people who come as adults and just can't figure it out.

But to answer your question, no. You won't experience too much racism. It's here, yes, but being a cute young, cute white girl doesn't change a whole lot from a big, hairy white guy like myself. Most people will still "SUGO--I! NIHONGO JOUZU!!!" at your first word uttered. And most people will be afraid to approach you, and when they do will still insist on suputtering out broken words in English in efforts to communicate.

The only difference between you and me is that I don't recommend you go out late at night in Tokyo by yourself. My friend had some bizzare (and scary) stories to tell after waiting for me for just an hour and a half in the early morning outside a train station in Shibuya.

But seriously, you "naturally get along better with asian people that can't speak much English"? Sorry, that's just a weird thing to say...
(#3 (permalink))
Old
Ichigo2013 (Offline)
Sound Village for LIFE!!

Send a message via MSN to Ichigo2013 Send a message via Yahoo to Ichigo2013
01-08-2008, 11:24 AM

Nah, I don't think you would be a henna gaijin. See I'm like that too. I get along with Asain people and am naturally drawn to them, but I am a guy so it's a bit different for me, but I have a lot of friends whom are girls.
I have a friend who sounds a lot like you but with different hair and she went over there about a month ago. She said a few people said a few things but she couldn't catch all of it. That was just when she got of the plane anyway. So I don't think it will matter much. :/ Good luck.
(#4 (permalink))
Old
Fijah (Offline)
JF Regular

01-08-2008, 01:28 PM

Im a bit concerned about me and my friend who's going to Japan.

2 really pale girls, I used to be blonde. Changed the color luckily.. ^^.
Quite tall both of us.

I hope we'll survive ^^'.

At least were not afraid of getting to know people, so I think we'll survive.

Going to Japan in april!

(#5 (permalink))
Old
zenit (Offline)
i'm evil kyuubi

01-08-2008, 02:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fijah View Post
Im a bit concerned about me and my friend who's going to Japan.

2 really pale girls, I used to be blonde. Changed the color luckily.. ^^.
Quite tall both of us.

I hope we'll survive ^^'.

At least were not afraid of getting to know people, so I think we'll survive.
-_- ... survive?? ur not going to iraque... whats wrong with blond? its not like they target practice with ur blond hair...
I hear the strangest things on this forum.
Just out of curiosity what do u consider quite tall to be?
(#6 (permalink))
Old
SakanaMidori (Offline)
JF Regular

Send a message via AIM to SakanaMidori Send a message via Skype™ to SakanaMidori
01-16-2008, 01:58 AM

You! Up there! lol!

Oh yeah, so...I think it's really really amazing when people freak out about me being able to speak japanese....I don't know....it makes me feel superior to other white people......It's a good feeling!

But id imagine that the larger the city your in, the more likely you are to get negetive racist remarks from crazy asian people. And the smaller town you are the more likely people will be like "sugoiiiii!!!!!!"

And totally love you.

My friend's even an actor here!

Japan loves America! (according to what I've heard)

まるかいをいきましょう!!
まるかいとみつわはいちばんですよ!!
Irony rules the world.
http://www.msplinks.com/MDFodHRwOi8v...order="0" alt=
Proud to be a Japanophile--that is, if you know what the word REALLY means.
Fellow Japanophiles:
RetroGamer77
MMM
Kireikoori
Akoni
Amnell
(#7 (permalink))
Old
ChineseCilk (Offline)
New to JF

01-16-2008, 02:32 AM

I agree with the evil bunny.

I have a Japanese-Chinese friend, and Americans, or anyone who can speak English, are looked upon like holy gods.

So...I don't think you'll have any trouble. :3
(#8 (permalink))
Old
StellaW (Offline)
New to JF

01-19-2008, 01:25 PM

i like reading the forms lol
I'm asain but i was born in australia and don't really no much about china,japan and Vietnam but i want to. I'm learning Chinese in class but i would really rather be learning japenese lol
(sorry about my spelling)

I art...
(#9 (permalink))
Old
Inochi (Offline)
New to JF

01-20-2008, 05:15 PM

I just visited Japan and even though I'm blond and at least taller than most Japanese women I didn't get any comments about my looks or anything... People just stared me more than usual and a few thought that my skin color was 'kawaii'...
(#10 (permalink))
Old
Fijah (Offline)
JF Regular

01-21-2008, 12:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by zenit View Post
-_- ... survive?? ur not going to iraque... whats wrong with blond? its not like they target practice with ur blond hair...
I hear the strangest things on this forum.
Just out of curiosity what do u consider quite tall to be?
Haha well.. I've heard a lot on this forum :P So I dont know what to suspect. Just that we shouldnt walk alone by night? ^^ I dont know the dangerous districts.

I'm 1.75 cm thats tall to be a girl.

Going to Japan in april!