Old
chachava (Offline)
JF Old Timer

Send a message via MSN to chachava
02-18-2008, 02:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nyororin View Post
And I disagree with you.

How does a baby learn to speak any language? They don`t comprehend *anything* at first, and the entire world is new to them... But yet, a typical child will learn to speak fluently in about 3 years..
No idea what planet you live on, but a human child is never fluent by the age of 3...

Also, they learn by hearing the same words over and over again - parents don't have full blown conversations with them to help them learn... again, that may depend if you are from another planet or not. There is a reason most English-native kids say 'mama' or 'dada' as their first words - it's all they hear for the first few months!
(#12 (permalink))
Old
Nyororin (Offline)
Mod Extraordinaire

Send a message via MSN to Nyororin Send a message via Yahoo to Nyororin
02-18-2008, 05:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chachava View Post
No idea what planet you live on, but a human child is never fluent by the age of 3...

Also, they learn by hearing the same words over and over again - parents don't have full blown conversations with them to help them learn... again, that may depend if you are from another planet or not. There is a reason most English-native kids say 'mama' or 'dada' as their first words - it's all they hear for the first few months!
Welcome to Earth. On this planet, children at the age of 3 are expected to be able to comprehend quite a lot, and able to convey their feelings in multi-part sentences. I invite you to come and visit a preschool class of 3 year olds, so that you can see the amazing abilities of earthling children.

"Mama" and "dada" are natural mouth and tongue movements, which have very little to do with what the baby hears. It is completely independent of the native language of the parents. Even when a baby isn`t exposed to language of any sort, it will make those sounds. Babies who lack hearing also make them. Parents who consider those to be first words before they are used in context are, well, sweet but naive. All babies babble the same sounds.

Just trust me on this - The definition of "fluent" is different at the age of 3 than it is at the age of 20. A different standard is applied to a child - that doesn`t however mean that the child has any less to learn. A child at that age, when they follow the average developmental path, is both fluent in language and culture. They have the ability to know what is expected of them and how to put that into words and actions....
However, at 3, the child doesn`t have the *other* mental capacities to use those skills in an adult way.

But that isn`t what we`re talking about. We`re talking about language fluency, and yes, most children reach fluency in their 3rd year.

They reach it by listening to *model* conversations. Direct use of those patterns is necessary for gaining certain interactive skills. The majority of acquisition comes about when the child hears proper use in his environment. This is why children will often know words parents would never actually teach to the child - the child picks them up from surroundings, and is able to learn proper usage with just a few models to go by.

If children only learned words from their parents baby-talk, they would NEVER reach fluency.

(Note; I am a linguist, and did several research projects on childhood language acquisition. I know what I`m talking about.)

If anyone is trying to find me… Tamyuun on Instagram is probably the easiest.

Last edited by Nyororin : 02-18-2008 at 05:05 PM.
(#13 (permalink))
Old
chachava (Offline)
JF Old Timer

02-19-2008, 12:29 AM

Quote:

(Note; I am a linguist, and did several research projects on childhood language acquisition. I know what I`m talking about.)
Congratulations but that doesn't mean squat I'm afraid - I'm a mathematician with a masters degree but that doesn't mean I am always correct when it comes to math based questions...

If the definition of fluent is different at the age iof 3, then how can you use that term at all then? By that logic I could say that Gandhi was an evil person, although the definition of evil is different compared to Hitler. Fluent implies:

"able to speak or write smoothly, easily, or readily"

Even at a basic level, most 3 year old kids can't always achieve that

Anyway, back to the topic - I'm just going from experience, I tried watching a LOT of Japanese tv when I first arrived to pick things up but, even after 6months, could barely understand 1 word in 10 because of the way a native blends words and uses slang etc. It was only after extensive lessons and the use of a translator that I eventually began to SLOWLY comprehend things.

Now I have a VERY good memory, always have, but without lessons, I honestly believe that there isn't a chance in hell I would understand anything because, in a conversation, it is impossible to predict the context if you don't understand any of the words (body language aside)

Last edited by chachava : 02-19-2008 at 12:48 AM.
(#14 (permalink))
Old
Nyororin (Offline)
Mod Extraordinaire

Send a message via MSN to Nyororin Send a message via Yahoo to Nyororin
02-19-2008, 04:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chachava View Post
Congratulations but that doesn't mean squat I'm afraid - I'm a mathematician with a masters degree but that doesn't mean I am always correct when it comes to math based questions...
Math is a direct science. Human development is not. As far as I know, math is rote. Either you know something or you don`t. There isn`t a whole lot of room for checking cases, doing research, etc.

I would hope, however, that with a masters, you would be able to grasp the concept behind something mathematical even if you didn`t actually know it to begin with.

Quote:
If the definition of fluent is different at the age iof 3, then how can you use that term at all then?
Because a 3 year old is living in a different world than an adult. A 3 year old is, under normal circumstances, expected to be able to convey their feelings, be able to answer multi-part questions, be able to ask multi-part questions, be able to understand anything that is explained to them as long as it falls *within their cognitive sphere*.

To put it in easier to understand terms - you wouldn`t consider someone with a low IQ, who was able to speak, "not fluent" because their cognitive abilities were low. They`re still fluent, but just may be lacking the ability to understand the meaning behind things that are explained to them.

A 3 year old child is fluent. They just do not have the higher mental capacity of an adult, so their language usage is simplistic. In peer situations, they do not have problems related to fluency, and are usually able to understand far more advanced language... Even if they aren`t yet able to use it themselves.

I`m going to guess that you`re not around too many 3 year olds. You`re giving them too little credit. 3 year olds can do some serious talking. Especially girls. They do so smoothly and readily. When I invited you to visit a preschool classroom, I was serious about it. 3 year olds are not babies, and are capable of speaking an incredible amount.

It`s the 2 year olds that are iffy.

If anyone is trying to find me… Tamyuun on Instagram is probably the easiest.
(#15 (permalink))
Old
anrakushi (Offline)
草上之风必偃

02-19-2008, 05:42 AM

nyoronin i agree with you completely.. from my experience with 3 years olds i can hold very good conversations with them and they understand what i'm talking about with them as long as i don't get into anything technical etc.

also i remember being in Japan around children 3 and 4 years old and my level of japanese at that time didn't have a hope in hell at keeping up with them haha. i would hope that isn't the case for me now.
(#16 (permalink))
Old
Kyousuke (Offline)
Seiryuu

02-19-2008, 05:59 AM

a helpful way i use is surrounding yourself in the language. when im drawing or just surfing i watch japanese shows and movies. when i started to study every once in a while it felt easier to understand. also learn the Particle Uses first, it helps. i usually watch a show called SHINDOI which i get from VEOH.COM.

"Im too drunk to taste this chicken" - colonel sanders
(#17 (permalink))
Old
Kyousuke (Offline)
Seiryuu

02-19-2008, 06:04 AM

Quote:
Welcome to Earth. On this planet, children at the age of 3 are expected to be able to comprehend quite a lot, and able to convey their feelings in multi-part sentences. I invite you to come and visit a preschool class of 3 year olds, so that you can see the amazing abilities of earthling children.

"Mama" and "dada" are natural mouth and tongue movements, which have very little to do with what the baby hears. It is completely independent of the native language of the parents. Even when a baby isn`t exposed to language of any sort, it will make those sounds. Babies who lack hearing also make them. Parents who consider those to be first words before they are used in context are, well, sweet but naive. All babies babble the same sounds.

Just trust me on this - The definition of "fluent" is different at the age of 3 than it is at the age of 20. A different standard is applied to a child - that doesn`t however mean that the child has any less to learn. A child at that age, when they follow the average developmental path, is both fluent in language and culture. They have the ability to know what is expected of them and how to put that into words and actions....
However, at 3, the child doesn`t have the *other* mental capacities to use those skills in an adult way.

But that isn`t what we`re talking about. We`re talking about language fluency, and yes, most children reach fluency in their 3rd year.

They reach it by listening to *model* conversations. Direct use of those patterns is necessary for gaining certain interactive skills. The majority of acquisition comes about when the child hears proper use in his environment. This is why children will often know words parents would never actually teach to the child - the child picks them up from surroundings, and is able to learn proper usage with just a few models to go by.

If children only learned words from their parents baby-talk, they would NEVER reach fluency.

i can dig what your saying. when i was around 4 i was speaking fluent english and spanish. i dont speak much spanish now because people mostly speak Navajo and Hopi here.

"Im too drunk to taste this chicken" - colonel sanders
(#18 (permalink))
Old
chachava (Offline)
JF Old Timer

02-20-2008, 03:23 AM

Quote:
I`m going to guess that you`re not around too many 3 year olds. You`re giving them too little credit. 3 year olds can do some serious talking. Especially girls. They do so smoothly and readily. When I invited you to visit a preschool classroom, I was serious about it. 3 year olds are not babies, and are capable of speaking an incredible amount.

It`s the 2 year olds that are iffy.

Hmm, last time I was around 3 year old kids was probably when I was that age lol. I just find it hard to believe they could be fluent but I guess that's how it goes...
(#19 (permalink))
Old
Amnell (Offline)
W.o.W. I'm 66

Send a message via AIM to Amnell Send a message via Skype™ to Amnell
02-20-2008, 03:28 AM

What's Shindoi about? Sounds like an adjective form of the word Shinto XD .

"The trouble with trying to make something idiot proof is that idiots are so smart." ~A corollary to Murphy's Law

If you make people think they're thinking, they'll love you; but if you actually make them think, they'll hate you. ~Don Marquis

Quote:
Originally Posted by noodle
But, that's always f-ed up individuals that kill in secluded areas up high in the mountains. Thats neither the army nor the governments agenda! I hope those people rott in hell, but an army or government shouldn't be judged by psycho individuals.
(#20 (permalink))
Old
Manono (Offline)
New to JF

Send a message via AIM to Manono Send a message via MSN to Manono Send a message via Yahoo to Manono Send a message via Skype™ to Manono
02-20-2008, 05:47 AM

if there are no schools that offer japanese, order a japanese text book online, get the basics down,such as sentence structure and learning to conjugate verbs and adjectives. The text book should walk you through it for the most part. Anyway you look at it learning a new language by yourself is very difficult and requires loads of dedication and time. So if you have that dedication go for it, otherwise you should do a google search for japanese lessons in your town/city or a town/city that is near by, you might be able to find something. you could probably even take online lessons