JapanForum.com

JapanForum.com (https://www.japanforum.com/forum/)
-   Japanese Language Help (https://www.japanforum.com/forum/japanese-language-help/)
-   -   NihonGO! (https://www.japanforum.com/forum/japanese-language-help/21624-nihongo.html)

edopeno 12-15-2008 10:57 PM

NihonGO!

Hello fellow 友! I've started a Japanese lesson course that I dubbed NihonGO! It's one that I do just for fun and it's aimed at those looking for simple words to say to their Japanese friends. You know, surprise them with your new found 'understanding' of Japanese. Break the ice if you will.

Anyways, I wanted to know if anyone had any interesting or funny phrases that they would like to see on the weekly lessons. If so, let me know!

Check out NihonGO!

Please note that these lessons are merely to whet the appetites, or appeal to, those that want to know a little about Japanese. It is NOT an exhaustive lesson plan for beginners, nor should it be taken as such. I've been getting many emails about this funny concept and I would encourage any of you to participate!

Keaton421 12-15-2008 10:59 PM

It's a nice thought... but there's nothing impressive about learning a couple of words like "sugoi". In fact, it only gives fake learners a false sense of pride, and I think it's detrimental to the learning process.

CaptainThunder 12-15-2008 11:21 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Keaton421 (Post 645615)
It's a nice thought... but there's nothing impressive about learning a couple of words like "sugoi". In fact, it only gives fake learners a false sense of pride, and I think it's detrimental to the learning process.

This, basically. If some structure evolves later on though, it might be useful. Try starting with basic grammar rules, and only introduce vocabulary as it's required.

Of course, Japanese tutorials are pretty useless when you could just point someone to this.

SimpleasThyme 12-15-2008 11:24 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Keaton421 (Post 645615)

I have to agree somewhat.

Go all in or don't...Being able to say a word isn't equaled to actually holding up a conversation. If you are planning on visiting Japan and just want to learn a bit to get by though, this is probably somewhat useful.

I haven't looked it up to see exactly what it teaches though.

MMM 12-15-2008 11:35 PM

There's no harm...it's just for fun.

SimpleasThyme 12-15-2008 11:43 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MMM (Post 645649)
There's no harm...it's just for fun.

True, but I see where Keaton is coming from.

It isn't a valid place to learn anything more than some words. It's good if you are going to travel to Japan once or twice as a tourist, but there are a lot of people who will just go there, learn a couple words, then run off saying they can speak Japanese.

From what I've seen, a few of the older posters are becoming annoyed at how many of the "JapanIsCoolILikeAnime"(For lack of a better term...sorry) people there are around JF.

MMM 12-15-2008 11:49 PM

It's not edopeno's fault people are idiots. If he wants to make a word of the week site, more power to him. If people think they can learn a word a week and then speak Japanese, then they are idiots.

SimpleasThyme 12-16-2008 12:03 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MMM (Post 645654)
It's not edopeno's fault people are idiots. If he wants to make a word of the week site, more power to him. If people think they can learn a word a week and then speak Japanese, then they are idiots.

I'm trying not to take sides on this...

I have to say that I really do like your post though!

I'm still a beginner though. Practicing words and greetings, as well as how to form a few sentences like "Tenki wa dou desuka" "Namae wo oiishite kudosai" "Shumi wa nan desuka". Basic stuff still, I just started learning and all. >.<

edopeno 12-16-2008 12:16 AM

Thank you guys for the comments so far - as it encourages me to fix, re-create and innovate NihonGO!

I don't want anyone to argue over NihonGO!, I'm already starting it. I'd rather have energy expended by having you guys recommend words and/or phrases.

A little background of why I started it: A friend of mine in San Francisco, he's originally from Osaka, started an Entertainment Company (think dance clubs and parties). On occasion, we would cater strictly to the Japanese/those interested in Japan crowd.

Everyone knew I spoke Japanese and wanted to know how they could "hit on the kirei na onna no hito." So I would teach them a few words (e.g. nanpatteru, kisu shitekudasai, etc...) just for fun. Just to break the ice. It worked, and it got people interested in wanting to do language partner exchange. My japanese friends wanted to speak with my american friends and vice versa. Not my intention in the first place, but hey, anyone to gain interest right? Bringing that energy forward, I created NihonGO!

I know it has kinks, but any suggestions (the ones you guys have now are great BTW) would be greatly appreciated. Now you know! Odaiji ni minna!

edopeno 12-16-2008 12:21 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by CaptainThunder (Post 645634)
This, basically. If some structure evolves later on though, it might be useful. Try starting with basic grammar rules, and only introduce vocabulary as it's required.

Of course, Japanese tutorials are pretty useless when you could just point someone to this.

Lol @ pointing out ALL Japanese ALL the time. His concepts make sense, but its SOOO hard to navigate through that site!