JapanForum.com

JapanForum.com (https://www.japanforum.com/forum/)
-   Japanese Language Help (https://www.japanforum.com/forum/japanese-language-help/)
-   -   translation of my name (https://www.japanforum.com/forum/japanese-language-help/21847-translation-my-name.html)

Vigge 12-23-2008 05:29 PM

translation of my name

Hello!

I´m going to have a tatto with my name in japanese. Would be very happy if someone from japan could help me or someone who is good at that.
Would be good if I could have it in kanji and the 2 others...(sry don´t remember right now what it was called for..katana or something like that) ;)
It would be good to have my name in all 3 of them so I can chose the one I like. And it would be fun to know what my name means in japanese to. =)

Hope someone give me some help.=)

And Happy Christmas to you all!!! :rheart:

Vigge :vsign:

Vigge 12-23-2008 05:30 PM

My name: Veronica :vsign:

SHAD0W 12-23-2008 05:31 PM

Im guessing your name is Vigge?

I've no idea how to pronounce that so I dont know where to start!!

I will say its VERY difficult to get foreign names into kanji.. but why would you want it in kanji when Japanese people generally dislike Kanji? your better off looking for a chinese forum if you want kanji?

SHAD0W 12-23-2008 05:33 PM

ahh! lol!

in that case.. its ベロニッカ in katakana to my understanding :)

thats beroni (small pause) ka :)

Vigge 12-23-2008 05:37 PM

thank you!

didn´t know that they don´t like kanji. Because I whant my name in the one that people in japanese usually use.

SHAD0W 12-23-2008 05:38 PM

its only because their taught to and it saves time. i wouldnt go get what i said inked on.. im not the best at name translation.. that was just my idea lol

Keaton421 12-23-2008 05:41 PM

If you don't even have the Japanese skill to "translate" your name, then obviously you haven't put much thought or study into Japan - which makes me wonder why you think a tattoo in their language will represent you. Cultures are not something you collect like bracelet charms.

Have you ever seen those Japanese T-shirts with hilariously bad English? You're going to be wearing one like that - for the rest of your life. Just don't let a Japanese see you or they'll piss themselves in laughter - even we Americans do it.

There is no Kanji for your name.

Your name means nothing in Japanese.

Katakana is going to sound like a Japanese person with a very bad accent trying to say your name. Have fun with that.

Vigge 12-23-2008 06:06 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Keaton421 (Post 650016)
If you don't even have the Japanese skill to "translate" your name, then obviously you haven't put much thought or study into Japan - which makes me wonder why you think a tattoo in their language will represent you. Cultures are not something you collect like bracelet charms.

Have you ever seen those Japanese T-shirts with hilariously bad English? You're going to be wearing one like that - for the rest of your life. Just don't let a Japanese see you or they'll piss themselves in laughter - even we Americans do it.

There is no Kanji for your name.

Your name means nothing in Japanese.

Katakana is going to sound like a Japanese person with a very bad accent trying to say your name. Have fun with that.

you don´t have to sound so angry.
I haven´t read so much about japan or speak either...I haven´t had de chance to learn any because there is no school here who teach japanese. And it is hard for me to find any good help on swedish.
And I´m not collecting any cultures or something like that. I´m going to japan soon...I like some of there musicbands who I look forward to see live. And I love there anime. And I want to write japanese because I think it looks beautiful and sounds nice when you speak it.
I`m jealous of them....but I love my country too...so I wanted something that was japanese... And I´m not some teenage little girl who don´t now what she´s doing..

KyleGoetz 12-23-2008 07:34 PM

Wikipedia has a long list of people with the name ヴェロニカ. Of course, this is all subject to the assumption that "Veronica" is pronounced near the English way. I think it is, but I don't know if the "v" is pronounced differently (like the German-English difference). Also, in Swedish, is the accent on the "ro"? This is tremendously important to giving you the correct answer.

SHADOW: ベロニッカ sounds like "ve-ro-ni'-kka" when you want the accent on the "ro" instead: "ve-ro'-ni-ka."

Here's the Wikipedia disambiguation page mentioning various saints, actresses, journalists, etc., named Veronica: ヴェロニカ - Wikipedia

When it doubt about katakanization, go to Wikipedia, grab someone in your native language with the name you want, and look up their Japanese Wikipedia page.

Edit: @Vigge,
You sound like a reasonable person. Please don't go do something so idiotic as get something tattooed on you when you don't speak the language enough to know that it means what you think it means. Go to Hanzi Smatter 一知半解 before getting any tattoo in a language you don't speak.

But I don't think you're saying you want to get a tattoo of your name in kana. So please continue thinking that way.

MMM 12-23-2008 07:43 PM

You have three choices

1) ヴェロニカ

2) ベロニカ (which I would avoid)

3) choosing not to write your name in katakana permanently on your skin as it will look silly.