JapanForum.com

JapanForum.com (https://www.japanforum.com/forum/)
-   Japanese Language Help (https://www.japanforum.com/forum/japanese-language-help/)
-   -   Question about Rosetta Stone (https://www.japanforum.com/forum/japanese-language-help/21848-question-about-rosetta-stone.html)

JPNcyborg 12-23-2008 11:39 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Saayha (Post 650029)
Hello everybody! I've been checking threats of this nice forum for a while, but this is my first post =D Hajimemashite.

I don't know if this is the correct place to ask this (if it isn't, i'm really sorry...!!). I've heard great things about a software called "Rosetta stone", which they say is good to learn Japanese. I've been studying Japanese for a while and I'm starting to have a good level, but I think it might still do some good to me that software.

Any of you have used it? Is it really worth to pay more than 100 $ for it?

こたえはありがとうございます!! :)

hi :ywave:

I have used Rosetta Stone, It's good but not for beginners (like me :D ).. it will enrich your vocabulary, it includes several words sorted by categories with pictures, pronunciation, and text.

[Rosetta Stone Japanese screenshot]

picture from: TopTenREVIEWS Expert Product Reviews

Keaton421 12-24-2008 12:08 AM

I tried Rosetta stone. The voice/accent recognition is real fun, but in general the lessons are very lacking. Even at the highest lessons (at least on level 1) you're still only learning how to say "the horse is running" in a little more advanced way.

dougbrowne 12-24-2008 03:23 AM

Rosetta Stone isn't really worth the money for asian languages, I've used it up to lvl 1 > Unit 2 > Lesson 3. Its nice for vocab and stuff but it doesn't take you indepth with the language. Try it, maybe you will like it. (You will find all three levels for free on the internet if you know where to look...). I currently use pimsleur and find it a lot more effective, almost like your talking with your own personal trainer. Although I am not too far in pimsleur yet, so I am still not sure weather I will stick with it. But so far, it is working very well.

Harold 12-24-2008 05:08 AM

Rosetta stone is good for western languages like Spanish, French, or German but not so much for Japanese. I personally tried it and didn't like it because all you learn is vocabulary, not grammar. I think the reason why Rosetta works so well for western languages is because it doesn't have to teach the grammar because we already have a good knowledge of it.

Arikado 12-24-2008 05:13 AM

I tried Rosetta Stone for Japanese, and it failed. I felt like it treated me like a fool that knew nothing and was a slow learner.

AsianAtHeart 12-24-2008 05:45 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Arikado (Post 650480)
I tried Rosetta Stone for Japanese, and it failed. I felt like it treated me like a fool that knew nothing and was a slow learner.

Yes. That's how I felt too.

I tried level 1 just for reviewing purposes and it made me feel like I was still three years old.

Keaton421 12-24-2008 05:47 AM

^ Is this guy one of Shadow's characters or something? xD

Saayha 12-24-2008 12:13 PM

Hello everybody.

Thanks a lot for your answers!!

Let me explain you a bit more about myself.

I've been learning Japanese for about 4 month by myself, without any teacher nor a course either (I think I would go too slow with one).

I'm actually pretty good at grammar (I'm already advanced enough), and I writte and read kana's and about 30 kanjis (I've been learning them just for some days now).

So I would like this program for vocabulary and a bit to see how the sentences are done (not the grammar rules, but the aplications). So by what you say, I think it might be good for me.

Thanks to all for your comments =D You've been so helpful. And sorry about my English. I'm not native speaker and I don't use to practice it so it's a bit rusty :)

JPNcyborg 12-24-2008 01:51 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Saayha (Post 650594)
Hello everybody.

Thanks a lot for your answers!!

Let me explain you a bit more about myself.

I've been learning Japanese for about 4 month by myself, without any teacher nor a course either (I think I would go too slow with one).

I'm actually pretty good at grammar (I'm already advanced enough), and I writte and read kana's and about 30 kanjis (I've been learning them just for some days now).

So I would like this program for vocabulary and a bit to see how the sentences are done (not the grammar rules, but the aplications). So by what you say, I think it might be good for me.

Thanks to all for your comments =D You've been so helpful. And sorry about my English. I'm not native speaker and I don't use to practice it so it's a bit rusty :)

be sure, it will be useful for you ;)

i want to ask you :rolleyes: , whith what you started for learning japanese? i am fascinated by japanese culture, so I decided to learn the language to understund more.;)

JPNcyborg 12-24-2008 01:54 PM

:vsign: :)