JapanForum.com

JapanForum.com (https://www.japanforum.com/forum/)
-   Japanese Language Help (https://www.japanforum.com/forum/japanese-language-help/)
-   -   Question about progress (https://www.japanforum.com/forum/japanese-language-help/22142-question-about-progress.html)

Karanos 01-04-2009 01:11 AM

Question about progress

How would you reccommend moving on from memorising all of the kana of hirigana to actually constructing sentences? Is there are starting point of types of words you should learn, and build your way up?

For example, when you're a kid learning English you learn the alphabet and sounds...then words like dog, cat, car etc.

SHAD0W 01-04-2009 01:16 AM

I recomend you buy a book..

Most people here will recomend you buy GENKI for learning Japanese.. but its over rated and expensive.

I recomend a book called "Japanese for busy people" and you can pick it up very cheap on ebay for example.

As for learning hiragana, google a hiragana table and copy out the first line on a blank sheet of paper, then try write it without looking, keep trying untill you get it right (also, try to say the phonetic sound of each symbol while you write them, it makes it stick better).

when you can do the first line, try doing the first 2 lines, then the first 3 then 4 etc etc. Then move on to katakana. with this method, i was reading and writing, in.. ooo.. less than a week? 20mins a day.. not even that.

Britaniya 01-04-2009 01:16 AM

write them and practice every time u get the chance
and go here and see if this helps ya
Hiragana

MMM 01-04-2009 01:18 AM

The nice thing about hiragana is that it is a lot easier than the alphabet because each character only makes one sound.

Karanos 01-04-2009 01:19 AM

Sorry, you misunderstood me.

I meant, after learning all of the hirigana, how would you suggest I progress further?

SHAD0W 01-04-2009 01:20 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Britaniya (Post 657610)
write them and practice every time u get the chance
and go here and see if this helps ya
Hiragana

I dont like realkana. it doesnt help for writing.. the old fashioned way is the fastest.

かなをできますか?

How did you learn?

Quote:

Originally Posted by Karanos (Post 657619)
Sorry, you misunderstood me.

I meant, after learning all of the hirigana, how would you suggest I progress further?

Buy a book.

The one i recomended is available in kana. Learning random words wont help you at all..

Britaniya 01-04-2009 01:28 AM

[quote=SHAD0W;657621]I dont like realkana. it doesnt help for writing.. the old fashioned way is the fastest.

かなをできますか?

How did you learn?

studying obsessively, writing them every chance i got
going to various websites
realkana is just one of them

Britaniya 01-04-2009 01:30 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SHAD0W (Post 657621)
I dont like realkana. it doesnt help for writing.. the old fashioned way is the fastest.

かなをできますか?

How did you learn?

Buy a book.

The one i recomended is available in kana. Learning random words wont help you at all..

studying obsessively
writing them every chance i got
going to various websites
realkana is just one of them..

Karanos 01-04-2009 01:32 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SHAD0W (Post 657621)

かなをできますか?

How did you learn?

Buy a book.

Thanks, I intend to look into it as soon as my exams finish. ;)

SHAD0W 01-04-2009 01:33 AM

obsession? as a trainee teacher, that tells me you have been at it for a while.. so its obviously not working..

try my way.

you'll be suprised.