JapanForum.com

JapanForum.com (https://www.japanforum.com/forum/)
-   Japanese Language Help (https://www.japanforum.com/forum/japanese-language-help/)
-   -   What/ how do I say.... (https://www.japanforum.com/forum/japanese-language-help/27250-what-how-do-i-say.html)

SceptileMaster 08-20-2009 12:42 AM

Yeah I was just pointing out that saying はい in that situation may seem a little arrogant from what I've heard.

Also just as a quick comment on the sentences you post.

A: 日本語がじょうずです。
B: いいえ、じょうずではありません。

Would be more accurate as the wa sound in ではありません is written as は not わ. Just thought I'd say in case you were unsure. But I didn't even understand the last sentence you posted so you're probably better than me at this.

Also a quick question since you seem more knowledgeable on this than me. In your first sentence why is it 日本語がじょうずです and not 日本語はじょうずです? I know that が is correct in these kind of adjective sentences (at least I think that it's that way using the common sentence (something)が好きです。as an example) but I don't know why. Well since I'm an sort of unsure about a lot of Japanese as a whole (being a beginner and since you said you were unsure) we can't even completely confirm that the sentence is valid. But I would be interested in finding out about this (although I should probably stop while before it's too late, I could be digging myself into an even deeper hole here).

Barone1551 08-20-2009 01:02 AM

Ok I will attempt to help, but I will say that I do not consider myself an expert, and if someone like Ronin, MMM, ect come in and make corections, they are the ones to listen too.

The second part of my second sentence could be wrong, I am unsure how to spell it since I have only heard the phrase verbally. So for now just ignore it. When I learned じょうず (skilled at), I learned いたい (pain) and 好き (like) along side it. We used が for all of them. The way I understand it is you dont use は becuase it is not the subject. If you would extend the sentence it would be : あなた日本語じょうずです。

So the subject would be あなた (you). Again this is my understanding.

SceptileMaster 08-20-2009 01:16 AM

Would it not be あなたの日本語がじょうずです?

Also I think you mean topic. が is the subject marker.

Barone1551 08-20-2009 01:21 AM

ah yes is should be topic marker, my mistake.

yuujirou 08-20-2009 01:26 AM

uwaaa =.=
you guys are much more knowledgeable about grammar than i am >.<'''

if it were me though
i typically leave out the 'anata" part and just say

"uwaa.... nihongo jyoozu desu"
but i guess if i were to include anata
i'd say "anata no nihongo wa jyoozu desu" as well >.>''

SceptileMaster 08-20-2009 01:43 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by yuujirou (Post 763010)
uwaaa =.=
you guys are much more knowledgeable about grammar than i am >.<'''

if it were me though
i typically leave out the 'anata" part and just say

"uwaa.... nihongo jyoozu desu"
but i guess if i were to include anata
i'd say "anata no nihongo wa jyoozu desu" as well >.>''

Yes the あなた would normally be left out. Also don't forget that particle inbetween 日本語 and じょうず.

IcewindDude 08-20-2009 02:33 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SceptileMaster (Post 763017)
Yes the あなた would normally be left out. Also don't forget that particle inbetween 日本語 and じょうず.

I often hear that particle omitted too, though, in casual conversation. And then there's that ubiquitous "ね" you might tack on to the end. :D

KyleGoetz 08-20-2009 06:03 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Barone1551 (Post 762847)
I am having a email conversation with a friend from Japan. I was wondering if there is a saying in Japanese that has the meaning of "no problem" or "dont mention it". ex. If I wished her a happy birthday, she then replies with thank you. I want to say "dont mention it", or "no problem".

Is there a common way to say this. If not thats ok too. I cant think of a way to say it with my limited Japanese knowledge.

Thanks for any help.

Wave your hand in front of your face and say いいえ. Relatedly, when you give a gift to someone, you could precede it with something like たいしたものじゃないけど...

sakumi23 08-20-2009 08:45 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Barone1551 (Post 762998)
Yeah I have been told the same. Like if you get a complement such as " your really skilled in japanese" You should reply with "no I am not skilled, I still need lots of work".

In Japanese I think:

A: 日本語がじょうずです。
B: いいえ、じょうずでわありません。までまでです。

Not sure if thats perfect.... or even close for that matter lol.

I learned that you can say いいえ、へたですtoo.I think it's the same,though,because as far as I know へた is anothe way of saying じょうずでわありません,but it's shorter:D

SceptileMaster 08-20-2009 12:22 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by IcewindDude (Post 763034)
I often hear that particle omitted too, though, in casual conversation. And then there's that ubiquitous "ね" you might tack on to the end. :D

I may be wrong but I vaguely remember reading somewhere that が is very rarely emitted.