JapanForum.com  

LinkBack Thread Tools
(#1 (permalink))
Old
redline (Offline)
JF Regular

Whats first? - 09-13-2009, 07:10 AM

My cousin and I are planning on taking a trip to japan within the next year or so, and I thought it might be best if I learned to read, write, and speak Japanese. I taught myself hirigana and katakana and now I'm having trouble deciding what the next step is. Do I learn the kanji, or do I work on the actual speaking of the language. Should I just try to learn both at the same time? I'm new to these forums by the way. Hello my name is Timmy.
(#2 (permalink))
Old
yuriyuri (Offline)
JF Old Timer

09-13-2009, 07:39 AM

I would say if you are just learning for your trip do the following at least:
-Learn the kana (Which you have already done)
-Find out the kanji of names of places/train stations etc where you will be staying or likely to be going (The names will also likely be in both kana and English as well, but just be prepared)
-Learn how to ask for directions, but even more importantly, learn how to understand the answer (eg, learn things like "Turn right when you get here" etc.)
-You could learn to count... I mean it's not essential I don't think but it's always nice to understand what people on the counters of shops etc are saying when it comes to paying.
Which leads me onto:
-Try to find out set phrases that would be used in shops etc.
-Learn to order food if your going to be going to any restaurants
-Become a master of the words for "Thank you" and "Excuse me"
-Maybe learn to say "I'm sorry I don't understand"... could be useful, at least it's better than staring blankly at someone if you don't understand a word they are saying to you.

Those are just off the top of my head.
Basically think about what you want to do when you get there, and learn the appropriate vocab/phrases etc for the things you think you will need.

If it's going to be within the next year or so, you could easily learn more than just some basic phrases. In that time you could learn quite easily how to construct sentences with all sorts of different kinds of grammar and vocab, it just depends on how much time you are willing to put in.
If you do happen to be interested in learning how to express yourself more freely rather than just sticking to mainly set phrases I would suggest heading over to this site: Tae Kim's Japanese guide to Japanese grammar

Oh and read this just in case you don't understand how to use the trains/subways... I had no idea how to use them when I got there so I just had to ask someone
Taking the train in Japan
It could save you some time in figuring out what to do.
(#3 (permalink))
Old
hirashin (Offline)
JF Regular

09-13-2009, 02:41 PM

Hello, Timmy.

How long are you going to stay in Japan?

If you don't mind leaning Japanese, I'd recommend you to learn both.

The more you know Japanese, the better you can understand Japan.
(Do I make sense?)

Hirashin
(#4 (permalink))
Old
KyleGoetz (Offline)
Attorney at Flaw

09-13-2009, 03:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by redline View Post
My cousin and I are planning on taking a trip to japan within the next year or so, and I thought it might be best if I learned to read, write, and speak Japanese. I taught myself hirigana and katakana and now I'm having trouble deciding what the next step is. Do I learn the kanji, or do I work on the actual speaking of the language. Should I just try to learn both at the same time? I'm new to these forums by the way. Hello my name is Timmy.
If you're just taking a vacation, I'd say the first thing you ought to do is learn "tourist Japanese." Basically, learn how to order things off a menu, ask where important locations are, ask for directions (street addresses are really illogical in Japan—it's more like a disordered number for area of town, block number, and house number on that block, so you won't be able to just walk down the street and pass by 1-1-1, 1-1-2, 1-1-2, 1-2-1, 1-2-2-, etc.), and other set phrases.

That's to CYA before the trip. Yuriyuri's advice gives more good advice, but I'd prioritize the tourist Japanese stuff first because if you're going to Japan "within a year," you're not exactly going to be a flawless speaker, and you're definitely going to want to be able to ask how to get back to the hotel after you inevitably get lost.

Enjoy.
(#5 (permalink))
Old
hinata2 (Offline)
JF Old Timer

Send a message via MSN to hinata2 Send a message via Yahoo to hinata2
09-13-2009, 03:14 PM

speaking it should come first it takes along time to learn kanji
(#6 (permalink))
Old
redline (Offline)
JF Regular

09-13-2009, 06:53 PM

thanks a lot guys. You have all been a big help.