JapanForum.com

JapanForum.com (https://www.japanforum.com/forum/)
-   Japanese Language Help (https://www.japanforum.com/forum/japanese-language-help/)
-   -   Japanese Name translation - Kanji Symbols (https://www.japanforum.com/forum/japanese-language-help/29099-japanese-name-translation-kanji-symbols.html)

IcewindDude 12-03-2009 10:33 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MMM (Post 786563)
How is stamping one's son's name permanently illegibly on one's body "more interesting" than stamping it legibly?

Because plain is boring.

MMM 12-03-2009 10:37 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by IcewindDude (Post 786565)
Because plain is boring.

Maybe the problem isn't the legibility, but the content.

MilKyXxdreamXx 12-03-2009 10:41 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by IcewindDude (Post 786562)
Finally, I doubt the reason for putting the name in kanji was for any Japanese to read, or anyone else for that matter. It's just more interesting than stamping "Jacob" on himself. It shouldn't matter if wants to put it in Japanese, Hebrew, Klingon, Elvish, or wingdings (a nonsensical MS font)!

Btw, those examples do approximately have the same pronunciation as "Jacob".

i guess this only satisfies the owner of the tattoo itself. since it's not really for anyone to read.

to tell you the truth, whoever reads kanji will think the characters is more of a mismatch sentence. unless if it's a japanese who knows the name of "jacob" (or anyone who knows japanese) will understand that this tattoo represent the pronounciation of "jacob".

IcewindDude 12-03-2009 10:57 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MilKyXxdreamXx (Post 786568)
i guess this only satisfies the owner of the tattoo itself. since it's not really for anyone to read.

to tell you the truth, whoever reads kanji will think the characters is more of a mismatch sentence. unless if it's a japanese who knows the name of "jacob" (or anyone who knows japanese) will understand that this tattoo represent the pronounciation of "jacob".

I truly doubt anyone would even try to understand the meaning, much less pull out a foreign name. I think of it as some sort of crude art without creativity. Interpret it as you will, but its meaning is really only with the owner.

Nagoyankee 12-03-2009 11:24 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by IcewindDude (Post 786562)
There are those who have legally "translated" their non-Japanese name into kanji. I wouldn't say it can't be done.

Don't twist the argument. You're talking about the ex-foreigners who have naturalized into Japan.

I repeat. Jacob = ジェイコブ. Anyone who tells you otherwise doesn't know much Japanese or Japanese customs. If I had to tell otherwise just to please someone who doesn't even know あ from い, I'd rather kick my butt outa JF. You guys wouldn't need a Japanese member.

If someone wants to take the time to write "治叡勇功武" for "Jacob" everytime he has to write his name, go ahead and do it. What is he going to do with with his family or middle name then? No one will be able to read it so he'd end up having to provide the furigana "ジェイコブ" anyway. That is going to be a 100-stroke full name.

KyleGoetz 12-04-2009 12:22 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by pauly5 (Post 786496)
thanks for the advice people, am looking to get my son's name done as a tattoo and am exploring idea's.

My son's name Jacob is a hebrew name in origin which means,
'he who supplants' 'Supplanter' 'held by the heel'

If the name is Hebrew, I would get it in a language you speak or Hebrew.

KyleGoetz 12-04-2009 12:22 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Harumaki (Post 786494)
And eitherway,

The best way to translate your name into kanji is:

馬鹿野朗
Jeikobu

Have fun ;)

Don't steal my techniques. ;)

MilKyXxdreamXx 12-04-2009 04:38 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Nagoyankee (Post 786584)
If someone wants to take the time to write "治叡勇功武" for "Jacob" everytime he has to write his name, go ahead and do it. What is he going to do with with his family or middle name then? No one will be able to read it

those characters look more like an unusual combined meaning instead of a name. lol

although i'm pretty sure that icewind isn't the one that's getting the tattoo, but he surely can "understand" the mind of the original OP by stating all his comments for the OP instead.. lol

MMM 12-04-2009 04:52 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MilKyXxdreamXx (Post 786568)

Those kanji can be read so many ways, I would be shocked if a Japanese person actually read that to be "Jacob".

ShizukaMiyako 12-04-2009 08:29 AM

my Name is originaly Shizuka-Miyako ...and i would like it to translate...
i have a french name too jessica can i translate it to a japanese name too?