JapanForum.com

JapanForum.com (https://www.japanforum.com/forum/)
-   Japanese Language Help (https://www.japanforum.com/forum/japanese-language-help/)
-   -   103 Kanji? (https://www.japanforum.com/forum/japanese-language-help/30532-103-kanji.html)

celephais 02-22-2010 10:46 AM

103 Kanji?

OK, since no one wanted to reply to my question about the kanji for the JLPT Level N5/JLPT 4, I did some digging around. I finally found that it requires 103 (rather than 80) kanji.
I never did give them a good look, but my white rabbit kanji study cards for levels 4 and 3 and have all 103 cards for level 4. I'm checking them against an "official" list at the moment. I've looked at those cards so much over the past few days - I should know all of them by now!
Anyone else use the white rabbit kanji study cards? What's your opinion of them? Good? Bad? Ugly?
Thanks all!
Amanda :vsign:

StueyT 02-22-2010 10:51 AM

Personally, for me they are a good refresher tool. But I find it alot easier to study with a book such Basic Kanji Book which builds on what you have learnt and introduces new vocab based on the Kanji learnt in previous chapters.

That, as well as entering new vocab (written in kanji) into Anki and practising that way too

celephais 02-22-2010 01:35 PM

I'm studying with the cards for basic meanings as well as a book for writing practice and another book for learning the readings and more in-depth meanings.
I'm starting off slow (not a very quick learner - need lots of reinforcement) at 5 new Kanji per week. I have been doing this for several months. I got Anki and I've been putting the kanji themselves in one deck, and the 6 example compounds from the White Rabbit cards and any other places that I see the Kanji used, like in other books into another deck. Quite helpful!
Thanks for your input StueyT!

KyleGoetz 02-22-2010 03:27 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by celephais (Post 801216)
I'm studying with the cards for basic meanings as well as a book for writing practice and another book for learning the readings and more in-depth meanings.
I'm starting off slow (not a very quick learner - need lots of reinforcement) at 5 new Kanji per week. I have been doing this for several months. I got Anki and I've been putting the kanji themselves in one deck, and the 6 example compounds from the White Rabbit cards and any other places that I see the Kanji used, like in other books into another deck. Quite helpful!
Thanks for your input StueyT!

Input the contents of the kanji cards into a computer program called Anki. Use that to do the flashcarding, not physical cards. You will learn better because:
1. typing the cards into Anki helps you learn the contents; and
2. Anki shows you the cards in an order that maximizes your learning/memorization.

Make sure you practice writing them, too, since there is a writing portion!

StueyT 02-22-2010 04:44 PM

I double that, I forgot to put it in my last post that practicing the Kanji, in correct stroke order, helps SO SO MUCH. Don't skip on that part

KyleGoetz 02-22-2010 05:29 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by StueyT (Post 801239)
I double that, I forgot to put it in my last post that practicing the Kanji, in correct stroke order, helps SO SO MUCH. Don't skip on that part

You've misspelled エディンバラ in your profile: エディンバラ - Wikipedia