LinkBack Thread Tools
(#11 (permalink))
Old
robhol (Offline)
Can I eat him??

04-24-2010, 07:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KyleGoetz View Post
No, it's just that you get what you pay for. To create a pirated copy of Windows, the uploader has to do some hacks (often these hacks have to do with language settings). These hacks break things. Legit copies of Windows do not have these problems.
No offense, but that sounds like bull. Do you actually believe that? Can you prove that statement?

I can also say that one of the systems on which this problem occurs is a completely legit WinXP.

Last edited by robhol : 04-24-2010 at 07:28 AM.
(#12 (permalink))
Old
KyleGoetz (Offline)
Attorney at Flaw

04-24-2010, 01:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by robhol View Post
No offense, but that sounds like bull. Do you actually believe that? Can you prove that statement?

I can also say that one of the systems on which this problem occurs is a completely legit WinXP.
Go to a torrent site that has pirated copies of Windows. You will see many of the creators crowing about how they managed to shrink Windows to 100MB or 200MB or so by deleting all "unnecessary" foreign language files.

I believe it because I have very serious computer credentials and know what I'm talking about.
(#13 (permalink))
Old
robhol (Offline)
Can I eat him??

04-24-2010, 02:16 PM

I do know a thing or two about computers myself, and I don't download "rips" or other versions where things are removed.

I don't have a single computer credential, but I do know what I download, and as I said it's not likely to be even remotely related anyways, since I get the exact same issue on my laptop, which is running a perfectly legit XP.

And we're getting a little far afield here..
(#14 (permalink))
Old
DanielSheen (Offline)
JF Regular

04-24-2010, 03:18 PM

Yea I see those on my language bar too. I actually don't know hot keys, haha so I just click what ever one I need.
(#15 (permalink))
Old
robhol (Offline)
Can I eat him??

04-27-2010, 04:53 AM

I had a little breakthrough here.

Apparently there are hotkeys for switching modes after all, though. Ctrl+CAPS for hiragana, Alt+CAPS for katakana. This is awesome.

That shift+typing thing didn't work, though. Just enters alpha, not katakana.

Anyways, found the keys here.
(#16 (permalink))
Old
poputpsa (Offline)
New to JF

04-27-2010, 07:21 AM

Hi
I'm new to Japanese and am starting to learn it a bit. I have a problem. I don't have genuine win XP so if I want to install the Japanese language pack it can't be done becouse I don't have the CD. Is there a site where I can download the pack? I tried on the Microsoft page but could find only the Office Japanese pack. Now the hiragana, katakana and kanji are displaying properly on pages I visit, but I still can't write it. Help please with some links!
Arigato gozaimasu
(#17 (permalink))
Old
robhol (Offline)
Can I eat him??

04-27-2010, 09:34 AM

Immediately, I rather doubt it. If it asks for a CD, you will most likely need a CD. However, I can't recall having to use a CD when I installed it.
(#18 (permalink))
Old
poputpsa (Offline)
New to JF

04-28-2010, 08:27 AM

That's probably coz you had the lannguage pack already installed on your computer, you just had to run it. It asks you actually to insert the Win XP CD or to load it from where you have it stored to your computer. So i'm sure I can download it from somewhere, but just can't find the page...