JapanForum.com  

LinkBack Thread Tools
(#1 (permalink))
Old
DonCascarrabias (Offline)
New to JF

Help with a transcript I'm making! - 11-27-2010, 05:28 AM

Hello! I'm new to the forum!

I know some Japanese but I'm still kind of bad at it. I decided to make a transcript of an anime to practice what I know, and maybe learn more vocabulary and structure along the way.

The anime I chose was Magic Knight Rayearth for no particular reason. However, I wasn't able to figure out completely everything in episode 1. I did my best but I need some help! Also, I don't quite know the rules for punctuation marks and the like in Japanese (not even in romaji), so please help me correct that as well.

After someone is kind enough as to dedicate part of their time to help me out, I may have some questions regarding grammar.

Hopefully this will even help other people improve their Japanese language skills!

This is the audio.

These are the transcripts in kanji and romaji. I originally created them as srt (subtitle) files for the clip.

I highly appreciate any help you're willing to give me!
(#2 (permalink))
Old
masaegu (Offline)
永遠の愛

11-27-2010, 05:40 AM

Where do you want us to make the correcrtions?
(#3 (permalink))
Old
New to JF

11-27-2010, 06:10 AM

Hi masaegu. Thanks for the quick reply!

If you could post the corrected txt files, it would be great!
(#4 (permalink))
Old
masaegu (Offline)
永遠の愛

11-27-2010, 09:10 AM

Man, why do you never use periods? I've never typed periods after periods like this before...
(#5 (permalink))
Old
masaegu (Offline)
永遠の愛

11-27-2010, 09:29 AM

I'm done and guess what? I have no idea how to post it here!

Last edited by masaegu : 11-27-2010 at 10:51 AM.
(#6 (permalink))
Old
New to JF

11-27-2010, 01:48 PM

Wow! Thanks, that was fast!

Ehem... Sorry, but since I've no clue as to how to use them I decided against doing so. But after I see how you did it I'll try to emulate it for next time.

You could try uploading the files to a server like mediafire as I did. Since they're not heavy the process takes less than half a minute.

Also you could try posting them here wrapping the text in [code] tags, but since they would exceed the limit of characters allowed per post, you'll need to post them in 3 or 4 parts.
(#7 (permalink))
Old
masaegu (Offline)
永遠の愛

11-27-2010, 02:40 PM

here

Note: I couldn't quite hear 103,183 and 206

Last edited by masaegu : 11-27-2010 at 03:20 PM.
(#8 (permalink))
Old
New to JF

11-28-2010, 02:33 PM

Thank you so much!

I already went through most of it. I'll finish when I have more time. Then I'll upload the clip and subtitles for other people to practice with.

I do have a quick question for now:

You corrected line 23 when a girl says ちいさくてつかえてる. Originally I had written it as "小さくて支えてる", but you wrote "小さくて仕えてる". In the anime Hikaru is running to thank Fuu but she was blocked by some girls that were passing by.

According to Denshi Jisho 仕える means to serve, to work for; whereas 支える means to be blocked, to choke, to be obstructed, to feel pressure on one's chest.

Is it more common to write it the way you did in everyday Japanese? Or was the line misunderstood because of the lack of video?

Thank you!
(#9 (permalink))
Old
masaegu (Offline)
永遠の愛

11-28-2010, 03:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DonCascarrabias View Post
You corrected line 23 when a girl says ちいさくてつかえてる. Originally I had written it as "小さくて支えてる", but you wrote "小さくて仕えてる". In the anime Hikaru is running to thank Fuu but she was blocked by some girls that were passing by.

According to Denshi Jisho 仕える means to serve, to work for; whereas 支える means to be blocked, to choke, to be obstructed, to feel pressure on one's chest.

Is it more common to write it the way you did in everyday Japanese? Or was the line misunderstood because of the lack of video?
Two reasons:
1. No video and I kind of imagined a different situation.
2. When I saw 支えてる, I read it ささえてる (= to support) as any native speaker would. Better writers write つかえる in kana for the meaning "to be blocked" that is used here so there is no confusion with another verb.

In any case, you were correct except for the kana/kanji issue.
(#10 (permalink))
Old
New to JF

12-02-2010, 04:42 AM

Ok, thanks! I'm glad you can help me clear these things up!

I finished checking everything and I've uploaded the clip and subtitles. Hopefully other people will also find it useful.

I guess it would probably be a good idea to have a separate thread for that and for any questions that may emerge related to the transcript. I myself plan on asking some questions about it.

When I find time to make another one I'll post it here. I promise I'll use periods.