JapanForum.com

JapanForum.com (https://www.japanforum.com/forum/)
-   Japanese Language Help (https://www.japanforum.com/forum/japanese-language-help/)
-   -   Translation of A Phrase (https://www.japanforum.com/forum/japanese-language-help/35615-translation-phrase.html)

Alandree 01-13-2011 08:43 AM

Translation of A Phrase

I would like to have a translation of a phrase I am looking to use as the title of my upcoming Hayao Miyazaki RPG.

The phrase I'd like translated is: "Night on the Catbus"

I have the characters and romaji of 'catbus' (Nekobasu) but I would like to know how I might type the full phrase. If possible in romaji as well.

If that phrase doesn't make enough sense, then I'd settle for 'a ride on the Catbus' or something involving riding it or travelling on it. :) Thanks!

KyleGoetz 01-13-2011 01:30 PM

Since you don't speak Japanese and the game will be in English, why don't you use an English title?

princessmarisa 01-13-2011 03:39 PM

You could use catobasu inengrish instead if you just want an interesting title and it will be a mix of Japanese/English/Engrish throughout the game if you are doing it in English but using the odd Japanese phrase/name.

Anyway you did try part of it so I will try, but my Japanese is pretty bad. I'd get another opinion lol

The catbus ride would be:

ねこバスの乗り
nekobasu no nori

(riding) on the catbus in the night

夜はねこバスに乗る
yoru ha nekobasu ni noru

KyleGoetz 01-13-2011 03:52 PM

Personally, I'd use 夜行ネコバス
(夜行バス is a bus that you ride overnight from one location to another, and I know of one that runs fro Tokyo to Kyoto)
Something like "Overnight Cat-bus" but is kind of a play on words

chryuop 01-13-2011 04:07 PM

I still can't understand is this Catbus is something that really exists or it is a name made up by the OP :O

File0 01-13-2011 04:18 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by chryuop (Post 846346)
I still can't understand is this Catbus is something that really exists or it is a name made up by the OP :O

Cat-bus is a character from one of the Ghibli studio's work: Totoro. You should watch it it's one of the bests...

Alandree 01-13-2011 07:50 PM

Kyle: I wished merely to have a Japanese title as well as an English title, just as Miyazaki's films do for us English speaking folk. :D

And thank you so much everyone for your suggestions! I am unsure of which one I will use at the moment, but the mixing of Japanese and English is definitely what I am going for in titles and names.

KyleGoetz 01-13-2011 08:03 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Alandree (Post 846366)
Kyle: I wished merely to have a Japanese title as well as an English title, just as Miyazaki's films do for us English speaking folk. :D

I wasn't aware that the untranslated Japanese films had English titles as well.

Alandree 01-13-2011 08:35 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by KyleGoetz (Post 846370)
I wasn't aware that the untranslated Japanese films had English titles as well.

I was referring to their titles being translated when the films are released in English speaking countries by those English speaking distributors. :P

KyleGoetz 01-13-2011 09:04 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Alandree (Post 846375)
I was referring to their titles being translated when the films are released in English speaking countries by those English speaking distributors. :P

Then why is that relevant to you doing an English RPG with a Japanese name? I'm confused.