JapanForum.com

JapanForum.com (https://www.japanforum.com/forum/)
-   Japanese Language Help (https://www.japanforum.com/forum/japanese-language-help/)
-   -   Hage = Bald (https://www.japanforum.com/forum/japanese-language-help/35826-hage-%3D-bald.html)

Izlude77714 01-25-2011 04:29 PM

Hage = Bald

alright thanks

evanny 01-25-2011 04:35 PM

i wonder about your IQ if you actually argue with someone on youtube...srlys? you don't have better things to do...like counting hairs on your arm?

Izlude77714 01-25-2011 04:39 PM

dont worry its high enough

I basically just want a list of confirmations that there is no such definition for hage and that he is a moron

MMM 01-25-2011 05:11 PM

How about a link?

Izlude77714 01-25-2011 05:34 PM

Hage = swearing

is there a definition for hage that means dickless wonder/dick cheese/dickhead?

I know there isnt but this is for someone else

Izlude77714 01-25-2011 06:30 PM

k then nevermind

Izlude77714 01-25-2011 06:31 PM

Hage = Swearing

trying to clear this up for someone that wont believe me

does a definition exist for Hage that means dickless wonder/dick cheese/dickhead/various parts of the penis?

masaegu 01-25-2011 06:31 PM

This is not what you seem to want to hear but in cussing, you don't have to be bald at all to be called ハゲ. Take it from the hairy native speaker.

ハゲ - Wikipedia

Read this part on that page if you actually read Japanese:
「また不良少年同士の口論などにおいて用いられる場合 など、対象となる者の頭髪の有無にかかわらず用いられる場合もある」

Izlude77714 01-25-2011 06:34 PM

thanks for actually confirming it

RobinMask 01-25-2011 06:35 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by masaegu (Post 848277)
This is not what you seem to want to hear but in cussing, you don't have to be bald at all to be called ハゲ. Take it from the hairy native speaker.

ハゲ - Wikipedia

Read this part on that page if you actually read Japanese:
「また不良少年同士の口論などにおいて用いられる場合 など、対象となる者の頭髪の有無にかかわらず用いられる場合もある」

I'm so thankful you explained that! It's been bugging me for ages how in some animes I've seen they keep calling a character 'bald' when he's not in fact bald . . . I found it strange, because 'hage' translates as bald, but it appeared they were actually using another term to mean a literal 'a lack of hair'. So I'm guessing 'hage' is basically just a general insult? I did look at the link you gave for the original poster, but I'm nowhere near at that level of Japanese to make much sense of it . . .

masaegu 01-25-2011 07:41 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by RobinMask (Post 848279)
I'm so thankful you explained that! It's been bugging me for ages how in some animes I've seen they keep calling a character 'bald' when he's not in fact bald . . . I found it strange, because 'hage' translates as bald, but it appeared they were actually using another term to mean a literal 'a lack of hair'. So I'm guessing 'hage' is basically just a general insult? I did look at the link you gave for the original poster, but I'm nowhere near at that level of Japanese to make much sense of it . . .

ハゲ is a fairly often used cuss word among male teenagers if not among adult speakers. High school boys call each other that all the time when none of them are even partially bald. They use the word both jokingly and in serious quarrels. It would be the Japanese equivakent of "motherf*****", "f*******", etc.

Translation is an art so one could choose from many words that fit the context. With English being a rather colorful language in the swearing department, the choices would be numerous. Perhaps, "baldie" would be the only inappropriate translation as it will not be a cuss word in English unless someone was really bald.

chryuop 01-25-2011 08:19 PM

それを読むのは本当に長い時間がかかりました (笑) 。でも、新しくて面白い言葉を学んだんです。もちろん 、ダボという意味の別の表現なんてに興味がありません でした。しかし、「はげ山」ってきっと実用的な単語で すね。
今、masaeguさんの指導はいつものことですね。 とてもありがたいね。

P.S. Learn Italian, we got many more colorful expressions than English LOL.

KyleGoetz 01-25-2011 08:20 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by masaegu (Post 848282)
ハゲ is a fairly often used cuss word among male teenagers if not among adult speakers. High school boys call each other that all the time when none of them are even partially bald. They use the word both jokingly and in serious quarrels. It would be the Japanese equivakent of "motherf*****", "f*******", etc.

Translation is an art so one could choose from many words that fit the context. With English being a rather colorful language in the swearing department, the choices would be numerous. Perhaps, "baldie" would be the only inappropriate translation as it will not be a cuss word in English unless someone was really bald.

Which of course explains why my hostmother kept telling me not to refer to bald men as ハゲ.

chryuop 01-25-2011 08:25 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by KyleGoetz (Post 848286)
Which of course explains why my hostmother kept telling me not to refer to bald men as ハゲ.

LOL languages must have something against hair LOL. In Italian we have a word which means "long bearded man", but mind not to use it since it is very offensive (lol when I was a little kid I used to call a friend of my parents like that and I wouldn't understand why they would get mad LOL). We instead say someone who has a long beard.

steven 01-26-2011 12:32 AM

I've heard the word used literally (although it's disrespectful) on many occasions. I've also heard the term "kappa". One funny way I heard someone say it before was basically something like, "wow, I think that guy has too many male hormones".

MMM 01-26-2011 01:57 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by steven (Post 848296)
I've heard the word used literally (although it's disrespectful) on many occasions. I've also heard the term "kappa". One funny way I heard someone say it before was basically something like, "wow, I think that guy has too many male hormones".

You mean the bald river creature?