JapanForum.com  

LinkBack Thread Tools
(#1 (permalink))
Old
redcard15 (Offline)
New to JF

Japanese Submarine Translation - 06-06-2011, 10:46 PM

This submarine nameplate was brought back from Japan after WWII by my uncle. I know it's from a japanese submarine, built in Oct 1943. I think it's Ha-232 but not sure of the entire inscription. Sorry for the pencil shading...but it wouldn't scan because it's metal and all one color. I'd like to know what it says so I can be sure which boat it came off of.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg subplate.jpg (115.3 KB, 46 views)
(#2 (permalink))
Old
masaegu (Offline)
永遠の愛

06-07-2011, 03:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by redcard15 View Post
This submarine nameplate was brought back from Japan after WWII by my uncle. I know it's from a japanese submarine, built in Oct 1943. I think it's Ha-232 but not sure of the entire inscription. Sorry for the pencil shading...but it wouldn't scan because it's metal and all one color. I'd like to know what it says so I can be sure which boat it came off of.
It says:

Type-95 Submarine Launching Tube Model-1
For Bow
Kobe 232
Manufactured in October, Year 18 of Showa

The only part that I am not 100% on is "Kobe". It says 神 and "Kobe" is written as 神戸. All by itself, 神 means "god" but I doubt that is what it would mean.

Your Japanese proficiency shall be in direct proportion
to your true interest in the Japanese Mind.
(#3 (permalink))
Old
siokan (Offline)
JF Old Timer

06-07-2011, 05:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by masaegu View Post
The only part that I am not 100% on is "Kobe". It says 神 and "Kobe" is written as 神戸. All by itself, 神 means "god" but I doubt that is what it would mean.
It is an initial of "神戸川崎 KobeKawasaki" though it is an expectation.
Some of the submarine were made from Kawasaki Heavy Industries of the private business.

Ko 232
Circle Anchor(sign) Inspection sign
Manufactured in October, Year 18 of Showa(1943)

The character in circle cannot be read.

Please permit poor English. orz
Cryptanalysis is necessary for you.
set a goal:English at the same level as Johan Cruyff
(#4 (permalink))
Old
ColinHowell (Offline)
JF Regular

06-07-2011, 08:50 AM

Quote:
I know it's from a japanese submarine, built in Oct 1943. I think it's Ha-232 but not sure of the entire inscription. ... I'd like to know what it says so I can be sure which boat it came off of.
Based on masaegu's very helpful translation of the plate, I can make some comments.

The plate doesn't seem to provide any direct indication even of what class of submarine it came from, let alone the specific vessel. It seems to come from a standardized model of bow torpedo tube for submarines. Based on the "Type 95" in the name, I would guess the tube was designed for the Type 95 submarine-launched torpedo.

Also I found another page describing the Type 95 torpedo which happens to have this photo in the middle of the page:

This shows the forward torpedo room of the Japanese submarine I-58, which was awaiting disposal after the war. Note the torpedo tube doors; each appears to have a plate just below its center which looks quite similar to the one you posted. So I'd guess all such tubes carried a similar plate, and yours may have come from a submarine waiting to be scrapped.

Of course, the manufacture date of October 1943 is for the tube, not the submarine in which it was installed. If it was installed in a submarine soon after its manufacture, then it could not have been from the Ha-232 you suggested. According to the English Wikipedia, construction on that boat didn't even begin until July 1945, and it was never more than 40% completed before being scrapped. The tube could have been in storage for a while before being installed in a boat, but it's hard to imagine that a valuable weapon would have sat in inventory for almost two years while Japan was struggling for all the war resources it could find. Anyway, there's no real reason to believe that the plate's central number "232" should be associated with a boat's identification. More likely it's simply a production number.
(#5 (permalink))
Old
redcard15 (Offline)
New to JF

Talking Thanks So Much - 06-07-2011, 03:28 PM

Masaegu and Soikan, thank you both for the translation, it helped SO much. Colinhowell, I absolutely agree. The picture you provided with the torpedo tubes is the exact plate that I have sitting here on my desk. Thank you too. This has been a "family mystery" for 30 years....Interesting result.
(#6 (permalink))
Old
siokan (Offline)
JF Old Timer

06-07-2011, 04:24 PM

Japanese submarine I-14 - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

There is a possibility of the torpedo tube of this submarine.

*Circle Anchor(sign)
Circle has the character or the sign though it is not possible to read.
Kure Naval Arsenal - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Perhaps, an inspection sign here though it is a negligent expectation.

Rare article

Please permit poor English. orz
Cryptanalysis is necessary for you.
set a goal:English at the same level as Johan Cruyff
(#7 (permalink))
Old
ColinHowell (Offline)
JF Regular

06-07-2011, 04:36 PM

Quote:
Masaegu and Soikan, thank you both for the translation, it helped SO much.
I forgot to credit Siokan for his help, especially in explaining 神. Sorry about that, Siokan. orz

Quote:
Colinhowell, I absolutely agree. The picture you provided with the torpedo tubes is the exact plate that I have sitting here on my desk. Thank you too. This has been a "family mystery" for 30 years....Interesting result.
Glad I could be of some help.