JapanForum.com

JapanForum.com (https://www.japanforum.com/forum/)
-   Japanese Sports (https://www.japanforum.com/forum/japanese-sports/)
-   -   which is best martial art (https://www.japanforum.com/forum/japanese-sports/11954-best-martial-art.html)

Amnell 06-20-2008 10:16 PM

On the subject of Tae Kwon Do, I have recently an interesting experience with that art.

I'm currently in a self-defense school that teaches pretty much the same methods and theories that our local police and sheriff departments use. It seems to be nothing more than things that have been tried and proven through trial and error over years of collective experience, rather than a certain style that has its roots in Asian Country X. If I likened the system to anything else, I'd say Kenpo is the closest.

Before that, I had almost three years of TKD training.

This last tuesday was a sparring night, and, well, I kicked ass (if I say so myself :D ) .

What highlighted the session, though, was sparring against my instructor, who's never been outside of the system that this school teaches. We stayed at kicking range because that's where I'm comfortable and he wasn't pushing me because he doesn't know me very well yet.

So we're trading kicks back and forth. I realized that any time I just throw a regular ol' kick at him, he blocks it and closes distance (but couldn't pummel me when close because I'm VERY good at jumping away ^_^; ). So I went back to my sparring experiences from TKD for my next move.

I threw a jumping straight kick at him. He saw me move, of course, and went to block... my left leg. My left leg was only launching me into the air. My right foot was unobstructed all the way to his chest and BAM! Surprise!!! He stepped away real fast and seemed a little confused until he realized where the kick came from.

The moral of the story is this:

No matter what anyone says about TKD not being a combative art, always know that a good TKD fighter CAN do a thing or two that'll turn the fight. TKD is not "useless" by any means.

Having said that, I still would not pick TKD as my art if I were looking for one to use for SD.

godwine 06-21-2008 02:01 AM

The same applies to all art, every art has the potential to be deadly, its just how well you train and master it

Drend 06-24-2008 01:06 AM

Hokuto Shinken -nod nod-

You're already dead...

YouTube - hokuto no ken techniques

crazyviking 07-05-2008 03:44 AM

i like Ba Gua.
you go around with smooth circling movements, twists. and the sky is the limits on what you can do.

Sangetsu 07-05-2008 04:14 AM

Calligraphy. When I studied kendo, all students had to read Musashi's go-rin-no-sho, in which he writes about the proper way of the sword being a combined way of the pen and the sword.

If you look at the writing of the great martial arts masters, you'll usually notice that they have a striking way of writing.

Calligraphy is mental and physical, it requires great focus and coordination. It is described as the "7th martial art".

Jaydelart 07-05-2008 05:18 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sangetsu (Post 528384)
Calligraphy. When I studied kendo, all students had to read Musashi's go-rin-no-sho, in which he writes about the proper way of the sword being a combined way of the pen and the sword.

If you look at the writing of the great martial arts masters, you'll usually notice that they have a striking way of writing.

Calligraphy is mental and physical, it requires great focus and coordination. It is described as the "7th martial art".

Martial
–adjective
1. inclined or disposed to war; warlike: The ancient Romans were a martial people.
2. of, suitable for, or associated with war or the armed forces: martial music.
3. characteristic of or befitting a warrior: a martial stride.

According to this definition [2. of, suitable for, or associated with war or the armed forces: martial music.] Calligraphy may be considered a "Martial Art": It is related to combat and it is a practiced art. However, it is also not a Martial Art, as in the relevant definition describing a physical knowledge that is applied in combative situations.

My point: Clever answer. ;)

karateka 07-15-2008 04:07 PM

i think no art is the best it is only the person who can be better than another

Amnell 07-17-2008 12:06 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by karateka (Post 537086)
i think no art is the best it is only the person who can be better than another

While this is true, there is a certain ability that practitioners get from their art that could possibly make a difference in a fight. Generally, these come from what the art focuses on. Boxing, for instance, focuses exclusively on punching techniques--at that, in a setting that is controlled and predictable. Because of that, a boxer might be at a disadvantage against a US Marine who has trained to fight with no controls, no way to predict conditions, and to use whatever is available to him in the fight.

That is assuming that training is the only thing that matters. As you said, in the end it comes down to the person. Training only helps ;) .

Jaydelart 07-17-2008 03:54 AM

There are a few ways to answer this question:
A person could choose to be wise and say there is no best martial art.
Or they could express, through personal opinion, which they believe is the best.

... And neither response would be wrong.

What we consider to be the "best" and why varies from person-to-person. It's difficult to determine who is correct or incorrect when it comes down to such things as personal preference.

When a martial artist defeats another martial artist in physical combat, he could feel that the knowledge and practice he received through training contributed to his victory and, therefore, believe that his martial art is the best. And that belief wouldn't be unjustified.

This is why there are many types of martial arts and martial artists.
There is a best martial art and there isn't, at the same time.

Yuna7780 07-17-2008 04:34 AM

Aikido is the coolest. I want to do it so badly, but I have no money. :eek:

Amnell 07-17-2008 07:09 AM

There seem to be a lot of people who want to do or already love doing Aikido. I can't quite figure out why, though, because most other systems with an emphasis on self-defense or combat have teachers that will tell you that Aikido, as it is taught today, is next to useless.

I brought this up with my head instructor last Thursday after our grappling class. I was partnered with someone twice my size and it occured to me that the principles of Aikido would have been handy, and commented as much to my instructor. He told me that the philosophy is great, but the techniques are dated and no longer viable!

(I somewhat disagree with him on the last comment, but he does have a point about their being dated)

I hear this quite frequently. I've heard it so much that I would like to get a lot of experience with a different art like Jujutsu that also uses joint-manipulation and takedowns and then try Aikido. Y'know, get a solid foundation in something that "works" and then get all philosophical.

What do other people hear about Aikido? What makes you want to study it?

The art that I would like to get into next is Arnis/Escrima. I've had lots of exposure to it throughout my life as a martial artist, but never once had it as a focus. I recently learned that there is a school near to where I live, I just don't have the money to go to my current school and this one, also! Suxxorz.

Amnell 07-17-2008 11:49 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tenchu (Post 538787)
Amnell, seriously, shut up. A marine is only good with a rifle in his hands, and even then, the ranges the Americans practice to shoot at are often 60% shorter than other countries, and they still miss the target.

If you want to be good at something you have to practice doing just that. Soldiers are good at shooting. Fighters are good at hand to hand combat.

Being the best marksman in the world does not mean you could fuck over a well trained boxer, even if you are experienced at keeping your cool under pressure - which most boxers are given it is a professional sport.

ROFL @ U

You know what? FUCK you! You obviously don't know jack shit about anything other than your own fucked up little world where everyone other than you and five year old girls are objects to be scorned and hated.

Since you clearly don't know, let me set you straight: The US Marine Corp--not the US Army--trains every soldier to be able to hit a target with a non scoped M16A2 at ranges that the US Army reserves for their 'special' forces that carry scoped M4's and M82's. In order to graduate BCT from the Marines, you have to be able to HIT your targets at least 85% of the time (probably more) at ranges greater than 800 yards. In the Army, the standards are not nearly so tight, so I forgive you if you're simply confused about which branch is which. Marines don't fuck around, though. There's a damn good reason why whenever the UN wants to throw some weight around they send the USMC.

Foot soldiers in general train to fight in whatever circumstances they find themselves: from 200 yards behind a wall with a rifle, or three feet away with a rifle that's out of ammo and a knife. Marines definitely train for these situations. Hell, even you had to have had SOME training for that kind of shit when you were in the Australian Army!

So, when it comes to pitting a boxer against someone who trained in the system the Marines teach, both fighters of approximately equal skill, I would place my money on the Marine because his training is not limited to using his hands and fighting under heavily controlled conditions. You said it yourself: it's the way the fighter trains that makes a difference.

And I disagree that sparring full contact all the time is the only way to go. Students of lower skill level would get knocked out before they realized they'd made a mistake and might not be able to reflect on what went wrong later. After I got knocked out a couple weeks ago, I'm still not sure what kind of strike my partner used and what I should have done differently. I think it was a kick only because it hurt, but it could well have been a hook punch for all I know.

Save full contact sparring for those who have lots of training already and are able to pick out their mistakes almost as they make them. Otherwise you're just n00b bashing! (Which, granted, can be fun)

JoshAussie 07-18-2008 07:22 AM

so basically i duno anything about shooting.. or army.. so im gona leave that bit alone.. but from what i do know marines are supposed to be trained in "MCMAP".. amnell said "both fighters of approximately equal skill" so id put my money on the marine to.. boxing is gona be useless when u get tackled to the ground and have your neck broken - but then again if it were a ring fight by ring rules.. a marines boxing skills arent going to be as profficient as a boxers.. as thats exactly what the boxer trains for and the other skills the marine has are going to be useless because his not allowed to use them

either way.. depends on the siuation

unless it was mike tyson in his prime.. hed fuck anyone up and eat your babies

godwine 07-18-2008 04:58 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by AnimeGod (Post 539827)
I like Karate but stupid idiots like Wikipedia say it's from China, as if. :rolleyes:

Well, I don't know who the stupid idiot is, but its infact from China. If you look at the history of Karate, all the way back to the Ryukyu Kobubdo, they do have a deep root in China.

As a matter, the most traditional Okinawa Karate (Goju and Shoto) have kata (Forms, Patterns) that came straight from China. In Goju, the Saifa, Shisochin, Sanseru are all from China, while Suparinpei took its origin from the following Chinese form: Dragon, Tiger and Buddah Fist. While in Shoto, the Kwanku kata and Jion kata with many others are also from China

Nadea 07-18-2008 05:31 PM

hmm i don't remember if i have been writing here so but i will say my opinion ^^

i don't think that some is better than the other, ,i like kungfu wushu, and i'm starting soon. i have tried it a couple of times and i simply love it. but i also love many others so i don't think that you can say that for example karate is much better than aikido. theyre both good...:D

Jaydelart 07-18-2008 06:28 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by AnimeGod (Post 539827)
I like Karate but stupid idiots like Wikipedia say it's from China, as if. :rolleyes:

Maybe they're not so stupid afterall. (^_^)

zachart 07-18-2008 06:36 PM

i still think my type of martial arts is the best.. well even though i don't have a name for it...

Nadea 07-18-2008 06:40 PM

well mine is a combination of kung fu tiger style and a little taijutsu, but i use strength most

Amnell 07-18-2008 07:13 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tenchu (Post 539534)
Amnell, given I have been in the Army and been in fights with Infantry soldiers, it is kind of silly you dont listen to me. What you are talking about is all in theory. But the reality is most soldiers are just idiots with guns. I know only 2 soldiers from my Army time that my current self would question my ability to beat in a fight. This is because I have since learned Muay Thai, and these other guys, one did Muay Thai, the other fought in UFC. It is not because they were soldiers. Wake up to reality, Amnell.

I saw marines shooting at targets that I could have hit just by throwing rounds at it, and they were still missing. The main problem was they didn't seem to understand that an assault rifle is designed for single shots, and only fires autmomatic for close quarter emergencies.

Percentage stats saying "they have to pass" is rubbish, also.

An Army in wartime will lower its standards considerably for recruits. You think they will turn away those who cant hit the target? I dont. I know they didn't in Australia. Only 1 person legitimatly passed the F89 Minimi shoot we did on my training course, yet no one was kicked off, and the scores were 'edited' for 'errors'... The way I see the marines shoot does not make me think they would do any better than we did.

Can I ask, exactly, how big is a target they are shooting from 800m away? Is it a car, or a house? Seriously, the rifle can shoot that far, but not everyone can do it. Nor is it really reliable at that distance, or practical. A lot of people can not really see that far. If you think you can land a head shot without a scope at 800m then why dont you look out the window and see if you can actually see someones head at that distance. It starts to disappear at 400m, so I would like to see what kind of target they are hitting, if that is true at all. Where did you hear it?

Anyway, fact remains, there is no reason why a soldier should be considered a formidable hand to hand combat fighter.

But you've never been in the USMC, so you may as well know as much as I do. My grand-dad was a Marine drill instructor for about thirty years who taught hand-to-hand combat to recruits--and to his children. Now get this: at the age of sixteen, my mother, who is about half of my size, was getting into fights against large groups of girls who were older than her, men twice her size, multiple men bigger than her in bar fights, and was almost always winning those fights. The ironic thing about the bar fights is that she was usually trying to help her pussy husband, who was also a Marine. (Goes to show that not everyone's a bad ass--and yes, my mum married for the first time at sixteen)

Are you sure they were Marines and not Army?

If it's true that in wartime militaries lower their standards, than I'd sure hate to see what their standards are in peacetime. Like I said, the UN typically calls for US Marines to be sent to hotspots--not US Army, not Australian Army, not even British SAS or US Navy SEALs. Unless it's logistically stupid, it's always USMC. There's a damn good reason for that, whether you see it or not.

If someone landed a HEAD shot at 800 yards without a scope, they'd be god. Or very lucky. The targets, I'm sure, are large enough that they're visible and probably brightly coloured so that their easy to spot. The idea behind making the trainees shoot targets that far away is that they'll probably never have to shoot at that distance, but they will be much more reliable at more normal distances. I learned this from a class on military history, and it's been confirmed in various documentaries I've seen.

I would never make the mistake of assuming that someone is not a good fighter because he learned how to kill with a rifle. That's as stupid as assuming that the guy you're fighting on the street doesn't have a pistol concealed somewhere. So just because YOU can't see a reason why a soldier should be considered a formidable opponent, it doesn't mean that that isn't the case, anyway, and definitely doesn't mean that you should treat him as a weak oppononent.

I wonder how many poor fools have made that mistake about any soldier since the advent of the assault rifle and wound up dead for it...?

JoshAussie 07-19-2008 08:21 AM

lol.. Marine Fu

EDIT: hey Tenchu what was your day to day life like during your service? did you just play sports and do exercises to keep fit? to keep you in shape right? or is that stuff just the stuff you do in the 1 hour exercise every morning? also what about all the drills and weapons training?

wana stay on topic so mainly interested in the things you would day day to day to keep fit

what sort of hand to hand does the aus army use? (i have no experience with military)

and last thing for the whole point of those questions - if they have a structured hand to hand system they use wouldnt they do it alot of the time just during the times when there exercising and running differant drills? like wouldnt they do it so many hours a week?

anyway like i said no idea so im probably wrong

Amnell 07-19-2008 07:12 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tenchu
I have only ever met marines. ... I am not talking about marines, anyway.

.... Huh? Wait, so all this time we've been talking about the USMC, you weren't talking about the USMC????

Quote:

Yes, the reason is; USMC has the biggest arsenal of fire power of any Infantry unit in the world. They excel in urban operations so well because when ever they get into trouble they withdraw and let gunships or atilery 'remove' the 'objective'. They are much less effective in more strategical open enviroment operations...

Hrm, that contradicts what every Marine I've ever talked to has told me--and I've known a good share. The general consensus has been that the Corps is usually the most reluctant to pull out. As one recruiter told me a long time ago, "The Army will go into one engagement with three ways out; the Corps will go into three engagements with one way out." A friend and family member of mine who is a Colonel in the Marine Corps as much as told me that Marines don't withdraw until they absolutely have to. Real evidence of this is Hanoi, Vietnam, when Marines (iirc) were the last American troops to leave.

Of course, anyone who has gunship support and are able to use it is going to--that saves the lives your people while depleting the enemy. However, using indirect fire support on a city is a general policy; exceptions being cases where the whole idea is to level the city as was arguably the case in Fallujah.

Quote:

But I WAS a soldier. And all the other guys were idiots. They have an advantage over normal civis, but not over proper fighters.

Did you ever ask your granpa how many hours each recruit spent learning hand to hand combat during the course? It was prob about 10 or 15 hours over a 6 week course. Compare that to a fighter who trains that + in one week.

Seriously, Amnell, smash your head on the key board for me. Think about it. You learn aggression and speed in kick boxing, too, not just in the Army. I would place my money on the guy who has spent the most hours training. That is like, 40 or 50 hours learning KM or Marine Fu versus thousands of hours of a boxer.

I think you missed my point.

I never asked him, personally. And that could well be the case. It doesn't change that fact that my mother was beating up on guys twice her size when she was a teenager because of what and how my grand-dad taught her and her siblings. From what she's told me, they never did any kind of regular lessons for long periods of time--he would just pull them aside, show them something, and tell them to go practice it on their time.

I never said anything about speed or agression. I was talking about training for variables. A boxer trains under the assumption that there will be no variables in a fight: his opponent won't suddenly pull a knife, he won't step on a rock and fall over, he won't have a second opponent appear out of nowhere, etc. A soldier, regardless of nation or branch, does train for that. Hell, *I* train for that at my school! Not that I would say I could beat up a professional boxer at this point, but I definitely have more faith in my training than in his!

Alkindus 07-20-2008 01:17 PM

Koen Ken........................................................or Tiger Shallow Fist or whatever u wanna call it.......Master that style and no one can fuck with u lol.

Paul11 07-20-2008 01:40 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tenchu (Post 541511)
Not directly. I am talking about military hand to hand combat, but I dont want to single out marines.

Well, modern day marines is the subject here, nothing else.

I know as a fact marines are training heavily in urban now, and almost nothing in field. This is because their enemies like in Iraq are urban fighters. The SF takes care of the idiots in Afghanistan stupid enough to engage the US in an open area, and what they cant be fucked doing they just level an entire mountain with buster bombs.

How many engagements do you think marines have had in the open field in Iraq? Compare that to their urban engagements.

When I trained with them in shaol water bay ex 2007 they were teaching us heaps of urban skills, they kicked ass at it because they do it all the time. Where as Australia does more field, and when it came to that they could not even keep up with us in a pack march, and we were teaching them everything about field.

This is an "in theory" thing. Where as it might work in numbers and stats, but if you sum up individuals then I think you would be wrong. I never did any training like you say when I was in the Infantry. It was the commanders job to take advantage of variables, but that was not people falling on stones, it was bigger ones, like a delay in the enemies supply trucks or something. It would come into it more in an urban warfare enviroment, but that is still all shooting, not fist fighting.

Someone who is martially minded and has common sense is going to be able to improvise his surroundings and deal with a changing situation. The people good at this will be found both inside and outside the Army, and both places have people who are completely unadaptable.

Personally, I would say a lot of guys in the Army I new were not near half as pussy as some of the guys I met at my Muay Thai gym, and that is an advantage. But there are also several guys who are not pussy fags at my gym, and then that, on top with their Muay Thai training, would make them a hell of a resourcefull street fighter.

Haaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa haaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa ha That's why your country is so strong, right? AAAAAHhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh haaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa

Amnell 07-22-2008 08:42 PM

Okay, that last long post actually made sense.

My point the whole time was the difference that training makes, though. As a better example than the one that spawned this whole argument, I would sooner put money on a professional MMA fighter than on a professional boxer. Again, the MMA guy has been trained for a wider array of situations and will likely adapt faster to changing circumstances.

There's also the matter of how hard the individual trains. A pansy MMA fighter who only does it for something to do is NOT going to beat out a hard-ass boxer who's been training passionately for "that one moment" his entire life.

Amnell 07-23-2008 09:05 PM

My. Isn't that lovely?

You are aware that there are over-sensitive people here who will lose their heads over this, and normal people who will tell you to take that shit (no pun intended) somewhere else, after flaming you?

Jaydelart 07-27-2008 07:46 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tenchu (Post 547845)
What did I miss?

I think he was responding to the spammer that posted [now deleted] porn on this thread.

It's said that people say/do things over the internet that they probably wouldn't do in real life.
I think aggravating people who are capable of sweeping the floor with you is a good example of exactly this. :rolleyes:

Housetek 07-27-2008 02:21 PM

REX KWON DO

/thread

Sutiiven 07-27-2008 04:18 PM

To Me i would say kung fu and then Aikido and taekwondo and Then regular karate.

The last and not least Jujitsu . Which was what the samurai used against each other for quick kills during the waring era in japan :vsign: :D

Amnell 07-28-2008 03:15 AM

Quote:

... And you never said that in the first place, why?

Well, I did, but I guess it didn't quite come through.

In any case, we seem to agree on this one, so that's progress XD .

Quote:

What did I miss?

Very sick illustrated image containing lots of nudity and shite posted by a troll/spammer. Trust me, you're better off having missed it @_@;

Sutiiven 07-28-2008 07:24 AM

Well the kung fu for teaches you to wait and sharpens the mind and takes dedication to master.

good for the mind and keeps ya in shape and also helps with focus and it can be keep me busy so i do not go out and do something dumb

Plus the movements are quite graceful and teaches disiplen and so on
But i would not use it for show boating plus use it to earn money as well .

not for hurting people and get knowledge from it.

Thats why and i am not tryin to sound stupid. but loyalty can be a good thing i suppose . Thats the way i see it :vsign:

Kir0 07-28-2008 12:47 PM

It depends on the person.

For me, its Taekwondo, and Muay Thai kickboxing. I also do ground fighting, but I haven't taken the class in a few months.

pandalover 08-13-2008 10:16 AM

Iron penis qigong--a good sport?

Thanks for sharing, and I just heard iron penis qigong at QIGONGPENIS.COM .
The penis Qigong can increase the local blood circulation and promote the endocrine function of the testicles. In addition to the function of advancing sex, this Iron Penis Crotch also helps strengthen and keep the male hormone —which thus also contributes to protein synthesis, supply energy, resist fatigue, prevent con-senescence, tone up physical force, strengthen immunity, and beautify skin.

Several days ago, i attended a Chinese kungfu forum, and happened to know a number of young guys are sharing their iron penis qigong practising experiences, and what's worse, they even dared to sharing their practising videos with each other, and i had to escape, and it was not until days before that i heard in a martial arts book that this iron penis qigong really works as miraculously as advertised.

Dare try it? lol...:D

godwine 08-13-2008 02:43 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by pandalover (Post 561445)
Thanks for sharing, and I just heard iron penis qigong at QIGONGPENIS.COM .
The penis Qigong can increase the local blood circulation and promote the endocrine function of the testicles. In addition to the function of advancing sex, this Iron Penis Crotch also helps strengthen and keep the male hormone —which thus also contributes to protein synthesis, supply energy, resist fatigue, prevent con-senescence, tone up physical force, strengthen immunity, and beautify skin.

Several days ago, i attended a Chinese kungfu forum, and happened to know a number of young guys are sharing their iron penis qigong practising experiences, and what's worse, they even dared to sharing their practising videos with each other, and i had to escape, and it was not until days before that i heard in a martial arts book that this iron penis qigong really works as miraculously as advertised.

Dare try it? lol...:D

I find your post a bit offending and disturbing. The QIGONG in question, is not something that was meant for the penis and testicles, the demonstration is only to demonstrate, when practiced to the extreme, how this form of QIGONG can help to defend the body, including parts that most think are vulnerable to any form of impact

The QIGONG in question, is not a PENIS QIGONG, its an overbody practice, its call Qi Yang Gung - 氣硬功, literally means the martial art of using Qi to harden the body.

yuujirou 08-13-2008 07:23 PM

i wonder... why does a thread like this exist anyway? =.=
doesn't every one agree that the user of an art is what makes that specific art great?
No art is better than any other >.>

Jaydelart 08-13-2008 07:59 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by yuujirou (Post 561802)
i wonder... why does a thread like this exist anyway? =.=
doesn't every one agree that the user of an art is what makes that specific art great?
No art is better than any other >.>

That's been stated several times, but that's a more un-biased answer (which I think I explained earlier in this thread -- not sure).
Sometimes it's just fun to show your pride. Which you think is the best Martial Art.

yuujirou 08-14-2008 01:54 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jaydelart (Post 561816)
That's been stated several times, but that's a more un-biased answer (which I think I explained earlier in this thread -- not sure).
Sometimes it's just fun to show your pride. Which you think is the best Martial Art.

oh, haha x]
my martial art is the obviously the best
because my art is the origin of most all others ^_^

gravelgill 08-14-2008 02:08 AM

capoeira,drunken fist,and five animals(tiger,leopard,dragon,snake,monkey)

biginjapan 08-14-2008 07:08 AM

While I am only 21 I have been around the fight game for quite a bit. Been wrestling for a long time and just started doing Brazilian jiu-jitsu about 2 years ago. I can honestly say that I don't believe there is any one dominant style. I believe it depends on the skill and style of each individual fighter. I've seen wrestlers dominate stand up fighters and vice versa. It really comes down to experience, athleticism, etc.

JoshAussie 08-14-2008 07:20 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by gravelgill (Post 562122)
capoeira,drunken fist,and five animals(tiger,leopard,dragon,snake,monkey)

Capoera, the only martial art that involves dancing infront of your opponent and then them deciding whether to hurt you or not based on how well you performed.

godwine 08-14-2008 12:20 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JoshAussie (Post 562240)
Capoera, the only martial art that involves dancing infront of your opponent and then them deciding whether to hurt you or not based on how well you performed.

It wasn't started as a dance, the dance form was later derived from the arts. You can find tones of information on google to backup this claim. It was only DISGUISED as a dance, it never was a dance to start.