JapanForum.com

JapanForum.com (https://www.japanforum.com/forum/)
-   Living in Japan (https://www.japanforum.com/forum/living-japan/)
-   -   Author/Mangaka moving to japan (https://www.japanforum.com/forum/living-japan/12281-author-mangaka-moving-japan.html)

SuGrocks 02-05-2008 03:19 AM

Author/Mangaka moving to japan

okay, so im going to be an author and a mangaka, and im going to do some stuff in fashion, but mostly im going to be an author and mangka, and i was wondering. If you want to move to japan and w/ my ideal occupations what would you really need to do in order to move to japan?

MMM 02-05-2008 04:34 AM

Start here:

Starer's Handbook in Japan トップページ

I think you have a terrific dream. One problem is that you will have to be an author/mangaka on the side while you do a job that will supply you with a work visa. Mangaka is a great career, but isn't one that people apply and are hired for. (Same with author and fashion designer). To live in Japan you will need a visa, and none of those careers will get you one. Something like teaching English is a more realistic approach to getting into Japan...

Hatredcopter 02-05-2008 04:44 AM

Just out of curiosity, how old are you right now?

Two things to consider:

1. You should really visit Japan for a decent amount of time first. Many people like yourself come to find that although its a wonderful country, its still not at all what they expected.

2. To be able to work and live in Japan, you must go to a university for 4 years. You must also be hired into a job that qualifies for a work visa in Japan. Unfortunately, neither mangaka, author, or fashion designer qualifies for this.

It is, however, possible to be a mangaka of sorts in Japan assuming you have ANOTHER job that you've already been hired for a job that qualifies for a working visa (usually English teacher 99% of the time).

chachava 02-05-2008 01:31 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Hatredcopter (Post 389367)

Profile says 15

As has been said, you need a university degree to get a visa. Without that, your dream is pretty much over before it can begin...

SSJup81 02-05-2008 05:15 PM

To be completely honest, I couldn't see my moving to a place like Japan to become an author, but for inspiration and accuracy, if I'm writing about a certain place, I'd visit.

I know of another person who'd like to draw manga, and she's been drawing ever since she was like a real little kid. She's in her late teens now. Out of all the time I've known her, I don't recall her ever wanting to "live" in Japan for the job...only casually visit.

SuGrocks 02-17-2008 05:22 AM

yea i wouldn't want live in japan for the job its just out of liking and such. but you do have a point. :P
and yes i have considered a lot about these things and more. only time can tell now..yes i know that is a very cheesy expression. :D

MMM 02-17-2008 05:29 AM

I guess it sort of depends what you are writing about.

Hyakushi 02-17-2008 07:03 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Hatredcopter (Post 389367)

Two things to consider:

1. You should really visit Japan for a decent amount of time first. Many people like yourself come to find that although its a wonderful country, its still not at all what they expected.

2. To be able to work and live in Japan, you must go to a university for 4 years. You must also be hired into a job that qualifies for a work visa in Japan. Unfortunately, neither mangaka, author, or fashion designer qualifies for this.

It is, however, possible to be a mangaka of sorts in Japan assuming you have ANOTHER job that you've already been hired for a job that qualifies for a working visa (usually English teacher 99% of the time).

WTF why do you need to know her age? T_T