JapanForum.com  

LinkBack Thread Tools
(#1 (permalink))
Old
Harold (Offline)
JF Old Timer

Foreign exchange - help? - 05-21-2008, 05:48 AM

Hello. This summer (June 8 - July 24) I'm going on foreign exchange to Japan. I don't know where yet, but I will post the location when I get hold of the location and my host family. I know some things I may need in... I've compiled a list of things I need and I was wondering if anyone had any suggestions for other things to bring. I will be living with a host family, but I'm not exactly sure what to bring as a gift, so having a native Japanese opinion on this would be great. I posted this under Living in Japan because this is quite a long time and more than traveling or vacation.

Things to do:
- passport
- credit card overseas activation

Clothes and toiletries:
- 5 pants, 2 shorts, 1 pair swimming trunks, dress pants, maybe a light jacket if placed up north?
- 7 regular shirts, 2 "get dirty" shirts, dress shirt, 2 undershirts
- belt
- cologne
- 2 deodorant sticks
- hair wax
- hair straightener (OK with customs?), if so heat protection solution
- toothbrush, toothpaste, floss, mouthwash
- 8 boxers
- 8 pairs of socks
- sunglasses?
- also bring old pair of shoes
- nailclippers
- towel?

electronics
- PSP w/ USB cable & charger
- DS w/ charger
- camera w/ two memory sticks, charger
- ipod, charger
- archos video player w/ charger
- cell phone, check softbank, au, and docomo prices
- USB drive
- calculator

books and other stuff
- japanese dict
- grammar book
- kanji book
- notebooks: big and small (pocket size)
- pens, pencils, eraser?, highlighter, pencil-bag
- folder

I
沖縄           My blog
(#2 (permalink))
Old
MMM (Offline)
JF Ossan

05-21-2008, 06:11 AM

Go get your passport TOMORROW. The passport office is way behind, and be prepared to pay the extra 100 dollars for a rush fee.
(#3 (permalink))
Old
Hatredcopter (Offline)
In the middle of nowhere!

05-21-2008, 06:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MMM View Post
Go get your passport TOMORROW. The passport office is way behind, and be prepared to pay the extra 100 dollars for a rush fee.
He's right, you need to get on top of that right away. It's not a short process, and if you don't do it right away, there's no chance of you even getting on the plane to Japan.

郷に入っては郷に従え
(#4 (permalink))
Old
Hatredcopter (Offline)

05-21-2008, 06:22 AM

Also, Japan's outlets run on a different voltage. Make sure your electronics can handle it, and that you buy the necessary adapters to use them.

郷に入っては郷に従え
(#5 (permalink))
Old
Nyororin (Offline)
Mod Extraordinaire

Send a message via MSN to Nyororin Send a message via Yahoo to Nyororin
05-21-2008, 06:52 AM

Whoa... As everyone else said, get your passport NOW!!!
And don`t send the application - expedited or not. Go to the office personally, and have it made while you wait. The chances of getting it in time are extremely low otherwise. Especially now. Summer is coming up, and a mailed application could take 3 months. I am simply in shock that you don`t already have one.

I would suggest bringing more than one "dress up" outfit. My guess is that you`ll need those FAR more than "get dirty" clothing. Japan has a tendency to take clothing very seriously, so unless you already dress very nicely to begin with... Chances are your normal clothes are going to look too casual in almost any situation. T-shirts and shorts that were totally acceptable for wear in the US suddenly became suitable only for pajamas and in-house wear once I came to Japan.
Expect to have to give several speeches in front of the students of the school you`ll be attending (greeting, saying thank you, plus whatever events they will want you to take part in.) so unless they have a uniform lined up for you, you may also want to have a suit or something approximate to one.

You will not need the sunglasses. No, wait, you may feel you need them, but your host family will probably be shocked if you wear them and chances are they will be banned at your school. Sunglasses are a no no in Japan.

It isn`t hard to find things you need in Japan, so I wouldn`t be too worried about small items. You`re also going to probably want to pick up notebooks, pens, pencils etc once you`re here as those available in Japan always seem so much nicer than those in the US.

Oh, and I would toss in another large folding bag. Chances are, you`ll be taking a lot more home than you brought and it`s expensive to buy another bag once you`re here.

If anyone is trying to find me… Tamyuun on Instagram is probably the easiest.
(#6 (permalink))
Old
MMM (Offline)
JF Ossan

05-21-2008, 08:17 AM

My UK blood could never never grow accustomed to the bright Japanese sun, so sunglasses are a must for me, but be sure to take them off when ever you are on school grounds and whenever talking to someone face to face. I will say that it was hard for Japanese people to understand that I didn't wear sunglasses to look cool, but to be able to see without squinting all day. If you don't need them, though, I wouldn't bring them, like Nyororin said.
(#7 (permalink))
Old
Jaydelart (Offline)
ジェイデラート

05-21-2008, 07:05 PM

Congratulations, Harold. Good Luck!
I've been seriously thinking about getting into a Student Exchange program to Japan, myself.
(#8 (permalink))
Old
Harold (Offline)
JF Old Timer

05-21-2008, 08:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nyororin View Post
Whoa... As everyone else said, get your passport NOW!!!
And don`t send the application - expedited or not. Go to the office personally, and have it made while you wait. The chances of getting it in time are extremely low otherwise. Especially now. Summer is coming up, and a mailed application could take 3 months. I am simply in shock that you don`t already have one.

I would suggest bringing more than one "dress up" outfit. My guess is that you`ll need those FAR more than "get dirty" clothing. Japan has a tendency to take clothing very seriously, so unless you already dress very nicely to begin with... Chances are your normal clothes are going to look too casual in almost any situation. T-shirts and shorts that were totally acceptable for wear in the US suddenly became suitable only for pajamas and in-house wear once I came to Japan.
Expect to have to give several speeches in front of the students of the school you`ll be attending (greeting, saying thank you, plus whatever events they will want you to take part in.) so unless they have a uniform lined up for you, you may also want to have a suit or something approximate to one.

You will not need the sunglasses. No, wait, you may feel you need them, but your host family will probably be shocked if you wear them and chances are they will be banned at your school. Sunglasses are a no no in Japan.

It isn`t hard to find things you need in Japan, so I wouldn`t be too worried about small items. You`re also going to probably want to pick up notebooks, pens, pencils etc once you`re here as those available in Japan always seem so much nicer than those in the US.

Oh, and I would toss in another large folding bag. Chances are, you`ll be taking a lot more home than you brought and it`s expensive to buy another bag once you`re here.
I already sent in my application this monday and expedited it, so it's kind of late for that already. I had originally sent it in May 9th (Friday) only to receive a letter May 17th (following Saturday) telling me I didn't supply the correct birth certificate records. It was expedited to begin with, with overnight shipping and the works. I remailed at the post office mailbox Sunday night to make sure it would be mailed out Monday. My envelope does have suspense and EXPEDITE written on it, so I'm really not worried about that too much. I'm expecting it next week around Tuesday or Wednesday.

My clothes are pretty nice to begin with, I don't really wear t-shirts. I wear polos 90% of the time with jeans and a pair of designer shoes, so I'm not too worried about the clothing thing, but I definitely will take notice of my appearance some more than I do here in the U.S.

A folding bag is probably a good idea. Thanks for the idea.

I will try to take another pair of nice clothes, but the scholarship I received said it covers all school materials and uniforms, so it may not be a problem.

Now that you mention, I probably should wait until I arrive in Japan to buy those smalls things.

Also, do you know the reasoning behind the dislike of sunglasses? I've never heard of this before...

Quote:
Originally Posted by MMM View Post
My UK blood could never never grow accustomed to the bright Japanese sun, so sunglasses are a must for me, but be sure to take them off when ever you are on school grounds and whenever talking to someone face to face. I will say that it was hard for Japanese people to understand that I didn't wear sunglasses to look cool, but to be able to see without squinting all day. If you don't need them, though, I wouldn't bring them, like Nyororin said.
I don't need them, so hopefully I can fare without them. (they would be nice, though.)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hatredcopter View Post
Also, Japan's outlets run on a different voltage. Make sure your electronics can handle it, and that you buy the necessary adapters to use them.
Some things I have charge through a USB cord on a computer. The DS, PSP, straightening iron, and Camera all should work in Japan from what I've read. The iron is the only thing that has a problem--it will take a little longer to heat up.

I
沖縄           My blog

Last edited by Harold : 05-21-2008 at 08:20 PM.
(#9 (permalink))
Old
MMM (Offline)
JF Ossan

05-21-2008, 08:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Harold View Post
Also, do you know the reasoning behind the dislike of sunglasses? I've never heard of this before...

I don't need them, so hopefully I can fare without them.
Most Japanaese don't need them, so it looks like you are trying to look cool or have something to hide. Gangsters are notorious for wearing gaudy sunglasses.
(#10 (permalink))
Old
Hatredcopter (Offline)

05-21-2008, 08:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Harold View Post
Some things I have charge through a USB cord on a computer. The DS, PSP, straightening iron, and Camera all should work in Japan from what I've read. The iron is the only thing that has a problem--it will take a little longer to heat up.
Just be aware that Japanese outlets wont accept plugs with polarized prongs or with three prongs - that's where you need an adapter.

郷に入っては郷に従え