JapanForum.com  

LinkBack Thread Tools
(#1 (permalink))
Old
atashijp (Offline)
New to JF

VISA: Leaving and coming back as a tourist. - 04-16-2008, 05:07 AM

Hi there, I am going to need you to share some of your wisdom.

My name is Samson 28, I have a British passport and have been here for 9 years (4 in college, 5 working) I am at the end of my 3-year working visa, since my employer isn't going to renew it, I am going to have to leave next month.

My question is, can I leave Japan on a return ticket and come back as a tourist, or will I have to have a return ticket TO JAPAN if I was to come in as a tourist?

I am assuming I can leave, come back as a tourist and will have three months to look for a new job here. Any comment, advice or questions will be appreciated.

(#2 (permalink))
Old
MMM (Offline)
JF Ossan

04-16-2008, 05:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by atashijp View Post
Hi there, I am going to need you to share some of your wisdom.

My name is Samson 28, I have a British passport and have been here for 9 years (4 in college, 5 working) I am at the end of my 3-year working visa, since my employer isn't going to renew it, I am going to have to leave next month.

My question is, can I leave Japan on a return ticket and come back as a tourist, or will I have to have a return ticket TO JAPAN if I was to come in as a tourist?

I am assuming I can leave, come back as a tourist and will have three months to look for a new job here. Any comment, advice or questions will be appreciated.

If you are not a Japanese, you will need to not have a return ticket. In otherwords, get a one-way ticket out of Japan if your visa is expiring.

But if I were you, I'd look for work now. searching for work on a tourist visa is not recommended.
(#3 (permalink))
Old
odonata (Offline)
Roboto

04-16-2008, 02:33 PM

As I understand it, you must leave the country as the visa is granted before the date for your visa expires. If you fail to do this then you will get a serious black mark against your visa and passport. This can extend to being refused entry to a chosen country for a period of ten years.

You would do best to talk with your representatives in Japan ie.. your embassy or diplomatic representative.

At the worst case you can fly to Taiwan for the day and renew your basic three months as a tourist.

Super Roboto Jutsu Powah - Dynamic Servo Death Crush *NeeP*
(#4 (permalink))
Old
jasonbvr (Offline)
TrixR4Kidz

04-17-2008, 12:15 AM

Have you gone to immigration and tried changing your visa status? I know you can get the tourist visas extended, but I have no idea about going from working to non-working.
(#5 (permalink))
Old
Tsuwabuki (Offline)
石路 美蔓

04-17-2008, 12:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jasonbvr View Post
Have you gone to immigration and tried changing your visa status? I know you can get the tourist visas extended, but I have no idea about going from working to non-working.
You can, as far as I am aware. I know for a fact that you can get Working Holiday Visas extended to the period of a your country's Tourist Visa length. I am fairly certain, although I do not have the MoF link on hand, that if you go to immigration and explain the situation they will give you the necessary extension without you having to exit Japan.
(#6 (permalink))
Old
neooath (Offline)
New to JF

04-30-2008, 03:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by odonata View Post
At the worst case you can fly to Taiwan for the day and renew your basic three months as a tourist.
To be the worst case to consider!
I have a friend who did the same thing (in Seoul) and ended with a refusal at the airport. He had to come back in France at his own charge and when he applied months later for a tourist visa, he was told that he had been banned from re-entering Japan ...

Yes, the best option is to find a job before visa expires.

http://nipjob.com
All you need to know to find a job in Japan!