JapanForum.com  

LinkBack Thread Tools
(#41 (permalink))
Old
Henbaka (Offline)
Dark Passenger

05-25-2008, 09:24 PM

Yeah,

Actually I think were on the same page pretty much, but on some things I don't appear to have made my self clear. Ofcourse I realise that my opinion does not mean jack **** in this case

But still though. It IS about him and the experience he wants to have. He just has to be aware that everything you do (well, most things) has consequences.

My opinion or not, the reality is that in almost every university students daily life, alcohol is involved to some extent. Whether its one beer per weekend or 2 bottles of booze. With exception of those who doesn't drink ofcourse. I can guarantee this is as true for Japan as for every other country in the world. So here I'm just talking about reality and not opinions.

The issue here is that he is under the legal drinking age, not that he shouldn't be an university student that drinks.

I don't know if you think I believe "the customer's always right", but I assure you that was not my intent to suggest. Maybe thats a common american view still? It is not so much here in Sweden as far as I'm concerned.

I do consider that an 18-yr-old is an adult, and I never said that goes for Japan or japanese people. So don't think that I did.

Anyways, you are a guest at the japanese university, in the same way that the students from that university are guests at your home univ. As a representative of your country and home univ - of course you should act as such. I.e. behave.

You _are_ representing your home univ, because of the fact that your school is cooperating with the japanese univ in a program. I guess it's true that you also represent the japanese univ. whilst in Japan, but that does not make my previous statement faulty.

I feel you think I have opinions that I don't have. "I'll do whatever I wanna do" for example, eh? Of frickin' course anyone only needs half a brain to know that's utter BS. That attitude doesn't really fly anywhere, and I'm sure especially not in a country like Japan.

Although I really don't think anyone is expecting int. students to be more goody-goody than japanese students.

I don't understand why you go on about this "party your days through univ" like that is my mantra or something? I said univ. students party, which they do. So do I. But I still pass all my tests and get good grades, and don't break any real laws. So really, don't try to file me.
(#42 (permalink))
Old
MMM (Offline)
JF Ossan

05-26-2008, 12:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Henbaka View Post
Yeah,

Actually I think were on the same page pretty much, but on some things I don't appear to have made my self clear. Ofcourse I realise that my opinion does not mean jack **** in this case

But still though. It IS about him and the experience he wants to have. He just has to be aware that everything you do (well, most things) has consequences.
He has to go for his experience. I was pointing out that the university doesn't do the exchange strictly for HIS benefit. It's an exhange. Goes both ways.

Quote:
My opinion or not, the reality is that in almost every university students daily life, alcohol is involved to some extent. Whether its one beer per weekend or 2 bottles of booze. With exception of those who doesn't drink ofcourse. I can guarantee this is as true for Japan as for every other country in the world. So here I'm just talking about reality and not opinions.
I have to question that reality. I do not believe that almost all college students drink daily. Yes, lots of college students drink, that is no doubt, but there lots and lots of college students that don't drink, too.
Quote:
The issue here is that he is under the legal drinking age, not that he shouldn't be an university student that drinks.
Absolutley.

Quote:
I don't know if you think I believe "the customer's always right", but I assure you that was not my intent to suggest. Maybe thats a common american view still? It is not so much here in Sweden as far as I'm concerned.
I wasn't saying you, but people in general. I think you thought my comments were directed at you personally, and they weren't.
Quote:
I do consider that an 18-yr-old is an adult, and I never said that goes for Japan or japanese people. So don't think that I did.
I know you didn't.

Quote:
Anyways, you are a guest at the japanese university, in the same way that the students from that university are guests at your home univ. As a representative of your country and home univ - of course you should act as such. I.e. behave.

You _are_ representing your home univ, because of the fact that your school is cooperating with the japanese univ in a program. I guess it's true that you also represent the japanese univ. whilst in Japan, but that does not make my previous statement faulty.
Japan works in groups and circles. Within the Japanese university, you are a representitive of your home university, but outside of campus you are a representive if your Japanese college. If you get in trouble you embarrass your Japanese college, not your home school

Quote:
I feel you think I have opinions that I don't have. "I'll do whatever I wanna do" for example, eh? Of frickin' course anyone only needs half a brain to know that's utter BS. That attitude doesn't really fly anywhere, and I'm sure especially not in a country like Japan.

Although I really don't think anyone is expecting int. students to be more goody-goody than japanese students.
Again, I think you think this comment was directed to you specifically when it wasn't.

I don't know what goes on in the minds of admittance committees, but I assure you the more they work to get students from foreign countries the more they expect of those students, so I do think they expect more.

Quote:
I don't understand why you go on about this "party your days through univ" like that is my mantra or something? I said univ. students party, which they do. So do I. But I still pass all my tests and get good grades, and don't break any real laws. So really, don't try to file me.
Again, I wasn't talking about YOU, but just to people in general.
(#43 (permalink))
Old
Henbaka (Offline)
Dark Passenger

05-27-2008, 03:14 PM

Yeah,

Hey, I just realised I may have come across like I wanted to argue or whatever, when I really didn't. So sorry about that. I hear you and understand what you say.

And the daily thing wasn't meant to imply that you drink every day, just that it's a part of the univ. lifestyle (once a week for many, perhaps). Maybe some of my points are lost in translation like that (I'm not a native speaker so I surely make errors).

Well, anyways,
Have fun I hope it works out for the OP, and mainly i hope he doesn't become one of the 'gaijins' that add negatively to our rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by MMM View Post
He has to go for his experience. I was pointing out that the university doesn't do the exchange strictly for HIS benefit. It's an exhange. Goes both ways.

I have to question that reality. I do not believe that almost all college students drink daily. Yes, lots of college students drink, that is no doubt, but there lots and lots of college students that don't drink, too.

Absolutley.

I wasn't saying you, but people in general. I think you thought my comments were directed at you personally, and they weren't.

I know you didn't.

Japan works in groups and circles. Within the Japanese university, you are a representitive of your home university, but outside of campus you are a representive if your Japanese college. If you get in trouble you embarrass your Japanese college, not your home school

Again, I think you think this comment was directed to you specifically when it wasn't.

I don't know what goes on in the minds of admittance committees, but I assure you the more they work to get students from foreign countries the more they expect of those students, so I do think they expect more.

Again, I wasn't talking about YOU, but just to people in general.