JapanForum.com  

LinkBack Thread Tools
(#11 (permalink))
Old
Nathan (Offline)
JF Old Timer

05-29-2008, 12:58 AM

It's always been that way for Japan, I was refering to Taiwan (I think China as well, only within the last 5-10 years did they start requiring degrees and certificates). I should have clarified.

Leaving out details seems to be a bad habit of mine ><
(#12 (permalink))
Old
x08 (Offline)
New to JF

05-29-2008, 04:28 AM

Degrees have been required in Taiwan as long as I've been here, 7 years almost.. I've got the advantage of a Taiwanese spouse though, giving me an ARC and allowing me to work. The government has no issues with me teaching, but some schools are a bit sceptical - more on a "if the parents find out, they might be unhappy" stance. But I have good recommendations from every teacher who has watched my demo classes.

We must give one demo class each semester. Not a "let's see if you can keep your job" kind of demo, but more of a "let the other teachers learn from your technique" kind. I've received great reviews, being asked even by some teachers to go and have a talk with their class (I don't teach those classes) because I "inspire students to learn English." .... Nothing like being humble. ^_~

I've never been fired, and changing school has always been my choice.

*added* But yes, I know what you mean about low quality teachers. Sure, I have a messy desk... but I am serious about my work.

Last edited by x08 : 05-29-2008 at 04:31 AM.
(#13 (permalink))
Old
Nathan (Offline)
JF Old Timer

05-29-2008, 04:36 AM

Well, I've obviously been fed wrong information about this subject =p Guess I'll retract all statements and go hide in a corner. ( ><)

As for myself, I know I'm not a good teacher. One on one tutor? That I can do. Design a lesson to keep 10,20,30+ people interested and involved? No can do.

Hence why I need to step up my Japanese and find another useful skill if I ever want to return there.
(#14 (permalink))
Old
Sangetsu (Offline)
Busier Than Shinjuku Station

05-29-2008, 04:37 AM

Technically you are qualified to teach in Japan. If you don't have a degree, you must have at least 3 consecutive years in the profession. A certification of some type would help immensely, such as a CELTA, or TEFL.

Though you can find employment without a degree, it is very difficult. All online employment advertisements will say that a degree is required, so applying online without a degree will disqualify you with no further consideration. Your only chance would be to come to Japan on a WHV and apply at schools personally.

You may need to explain to a prospective employer that you are able to teach in Japan without a degree due to your prior experience. The visa application process is more or less the same, but in place of your degree, you would need to provide tax or payroll records proving your employment history.

For those of you who are reading this and thinking "Wow, it is possible to get a job in Japan if you have three years of work experience!", this applies only to professions such as teaching, and not to vocational fields, such as car repair or construction, or service industry occupations.
(#15 (permalink))
Old
x08 (Offline)
New to JF

05-29-2008, 04:57 AM

One fun and exciting issue that I've just thought of is that the first four years of work - in the first kindergarten... were all under the table. No tax, cash-in-hand. I'd be able to get a letter of recommendation, but that's about it.

The other three years (four when ready to move) have all been totally legal, above table - so no issues there. Tax slips have to be handed in when you claim tax return, but I presume heading to the tax office should be able to net me records.

You guys have all been a great help, and I'm glad I found this forum. ^_^ Guess it's time to get crackin' before it's too late.
(#16 (permalink))
Old
Sangetsu (Offline)
Busier Than Shinjuku Station

05-29-2008, 09:30 AM

I strongly suggest getting a certification in TEFL or ESL. Such certifications are not difficult or expensive to get, and they can make the different between being hired or not. I recommend "English International", their program is thorough and inexpensive. It's particularly a good program if you plan to take the CELTA course at a later time. With a CELTA certification you could also teach in your own country and several others. The least expensive CELTA courses are being taught in Thailand, and unlike many other places that teach the CELTA, the schools in Thailand are loose on the requirement that you already possess a degree.