(#21 (permalink))
Old
Henbaka (Offline)
Dark Passenger

06-05-2008, 02:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by seaghyn View Post
Text
Oh, thanks alot for the extensive reply! Yeah, I've mainly been checking guesthouses actually, since I want to have a private room atleast (even if i have to share kitchen/bathroom). I've looked at sakura alot, and also several other houses, and I think I can find a reasonable priced room.

One of the big minuses is that mostly these places are for foreigners, which limits my contact with japanese people -> less time learning japanese.

Thing is I also wanted to check the market for small apts., hence my questions. As you, I've search the 'gaijin' sites with limited luck, so thanks alot for the tips on that front!

The move-in costs seem to be a bit hefty, but I felt it was worth looking into atleast. Thanks for the info on contracts, since I'm going to be there for one year, that's the only kind of contract I could get.

Which of the move-in fees do you get back when you move out? Deposit, key money... ?

My japanese is very rusty (3 years since i was there studying japanese for a few months). But I got the communication bit covered as I have several friends (gaijin and japanese) who live there and can help me with that.

Anyways, thanks for helping and have fun in the big city!
(#22 (permalink))
Old
seaghyn (Offline)
Spaceward

Send a message via AIM to seaghyn
06-05-2008, 04:13 PM

Yeah, Sakura-House is key for us foreigners. By the way, just for the record, try not to refer to yourself too much as a 'gaijin' as it's the less formal = more derogatory way of saying gaikokujin which stands for a more polite way of saing foreigner. 外国人 VS 外人。 Otherwise it's like your talking down about yourself....^_^.

As for the move-in costs, you really don't get any of them back. The deposit is the only one, so if there are no broken or torn anything at the end of the year, you should get it back.

eHeya and Holmes are also good sites to search for apartments, and they tell you if you have key money, guarantor etc fees, and what they are in relation to the rent. You could try to find one with minimal move-in fees, decent rent and location, (it'll be harder, cuz they are already all picked over) and usually Japanese get first dibs, as they are usually hesitant about renting to foreigners. If the school is an accredited institution, and they are the go-between, it usually helps calm the fears of the agencies and landlord/lady.

PS even if your in a GH, it doesn't mean your japanese is limited. It's more limiting you exposure to culture styles, as the others may want to try to speak just Japanese with you and have competitions, etc. The language can be okay, but it's the culture you'd miss out on.

Good luck on the apartment search!

Hope this helps.

Seaghyn
(#23 (permalink))
Old
Firebird (Offline)
JF Old Timer

Send a message via ICQ to Firebird Send a message via Skype™ to Firebird
06-05-2008, 08:09 PM

well i still dont know where i will stay during this winter, but i kinda liked the page of Guest house Borderless-Tokyo Low cost accommodation all over Tokyo! because they seem also to host Japanese. I also got over this page Reasonable Apartments Accommodations in Tokyo Kimi Information Center wich lists apartments for foreigners with less moving in cost and shorter contracts. Though the price is a bit higher you seem to pay around the same as for a single room in a gaijin house. Please be sure to check if you pay utilities seperat, as i dont know!
But it looks like the least you pay for moving in will be 1 month fee for the agency on that page.
Well after i had a look again on that page it seems to be more tricky than thought, but you may try your luck

Back home after 1 year work and travel in Japan and 3 month in Korea: www.teglas.asia (text is in German, but see the pictures!)
(#24 (permalink))
Old
Henbaka (Offline)
Dark Passenger

06-06-2008, 03:47 PM

Yeah dude, I know about the whole "gaijin" thing, which is much talked about here... I'm not gonna get into that again But I will say this; I don't care ^^

Ok so it's only the deposit.. I bet theyre really hard about the condition of the room when you move out too. I.e. "not a single scratch"..

Are there any "big" chains of guesthouses who house japanese people also? Or is that limited to the misc. separate houses?

Anyways
Quote:
Originally Posted by seaghyn View Post
Yeah, Sakura-House is key for us foreigners. By the way, just for the record, try not to refer to yourself too much as a 'gaijin' as it's the less formal = more derogatory way of saying gaikokujin which stands for a more polite way of saing foreigner. 外国人 VS 外人。 Otherwise it's like your talking down about yourself....^_^.

As for the move-in costs, you really don't get any of them back. The deposit is the only one, so if there are no broken or torn anything at the end of the year, you should get it back.

eHeya and Holmes are also good sites to search for apartments, and they tell you if you have key money, guarantor etc fees, and what they are in relation to the rent. You could try to find one with minimal move-in fees, decent rent and location, (it'll be harder, cuz they are already all picked over) and usually Japanese get first dibs, as they are usually hesitant about renting to foreigners. If the school is an accredited institution, and they are the go-between, it usually helps calm the fears of the agencies and landlord/lady.

PS even if your in a GH, it doesn't mean your japanese is limited. It's more limiting you exposure to culture styles, as the others may want to try to speak just Japanese with you and have competitions, etc. The language can be okay, but it's the culture you'd miss out on.

Good luck on the apartment search!

Hope this helps.

Seaghyn