LinkBack Thread Tools
(#11 (permalink))
Old
godwine (Offline)
自爆十秒前

06-18-2008, 01:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Befron View Post
Pepsi- I'd imagine... since that would probably be one of your first experiences in person with someone in Japan, so I can see why it might be difficult to be not too confident in you skills.

godwine- I understand that- You can't find anywhere without diffusion into bad influences. By the way if my purpose was to ambiguously remove myself from America, I would sut move to Britain or somewhere and save myself the time of learning another language. But I can't believe many countries are declining as quickly as America. I am attracted to Japan by the people I see who come from there. I go to a school in America that is at least 50% Asian and of the ones that are Japanese and just generally from Asia, I have found them incredibly exceptionally intelligent. Also, I read so much about technology and mathematics (because the name of my HS is High Tech, and I like that stuff) and so much of the modern (as I realise Japan was closed off for quite a while a couple decades ago) technology articles involve Japanese people. Like not just a few more, like way more, namely, my interest, electrical engineering and sound. I can appreciate a stressed importance on education.
That sound like a reasonable and right reason. I too am attracted to the technology more, my dream and goal was to work in humanoid robotic, which currently only Honda and Toyota have anything close to operational. But if you saw my other post, I couldn't land any job offers, and then my Fiancee doesn't want to work there (she is also in robotics, she is in mechanical, i am in electrical), so we have settled to some day move there and retire there instead.

Good luck with it, but do as others have suggested, do some research, or at least visit there a couple of times first to see if you truly like it there.
(#12 (permalink))
Old
Junsai (Offline)
New to JF

06-22-2008, 04:50 AM

I was stuck on a train twice because someone threw themselves on tracks here in new york. Two people same day. One uptown other downtown.
(#13 (permalink))
Old
Paul11 (Offline)
JF Old Timer

06-22-2008, 05:38 AM

Before considering moving somewhere, you need to do a ton of research. Then visit the place, maybe for an extended period of time. This is a difficult question, because, well, if someone asked about moving anywhere in the country your from, what would you answer. Your daily life brings up too many things to even begin to explain. Nowhere is about, say, mango and robotics. Life is full of suffering and drudgery and every day things like paying electricity bills and folding laundry. The world is covered by people who just get through the day and try to find something uinteresting that makes them happy.

All the posts are good posts, several by experienced people. But I have to add that many places on every continent are declining just like the United States. But the pendulaum swings both ways. Live a bit longer and you'll realize, the more things change, the more they stay the same. Lastly, Japan is nothing like the states, but people are people.
(#14 (permalink))
Old
Befron (Offline)
JF Regular

06-23-2008, 02:21 AM

godwine- of course I will be sure to do that. Right now I am young and with the declining economy my parents can't afford a week in Japan. I would rather wait than just spend like a day or two there. 14+ hours in not worth just a couple days.

Junsai-Yeah that's rather not good. A previous poster said that now they are so use to it the driver just gets out sweeps up the mess and keeps goin'

Paul11- That's why I am starting now. I have at least 15 ears before I would actually decide ok do I want to move

Hey folks, if you're a Japanese speaker, and willing to help me please contact anytime on AIM:

jakeofcanadia

Even if you're not too good, I am not either and it would be fun to learn from each other.
(#15 (permalink))
Old
SSJup81 (Offline)
Busier Than Shinjuku Station

Send a message via ICQ to SSJup81 Send a message via AIM to SSJup81 Send a message via MSN to SSJup81 Send a message via Yahoo to SSJup81 Send a message via Skype™ to SSJup81
06-23-2008, 03:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Befron View Post
godwine- of course I will be sure to do that. Right now I am young and with the declining economy my parents can't afford a week in Japan. I would rather wait than just spend like a day or two there. 14+ hours in not worth just a couple days.
Even before the declining economy, my folks could've never afforded a trip to such a place.

I know a lot of people say, "Visit before you live there." And I always wonder, what type of money they're making to even visit another country and what type of a job they have where they can take off so much time at one time to stay long enough to do something, like these people that take month-long vacations. I couldn't even imagine being allowed something like that, then again, vacation (paid) is a luxury...one I've never had.
(#16 (permalink))
Old
Paul11 (Offline)
JF Old Timer

06-23-2008, 03:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SSJup81 View Post
Even before the declining economy, my folks could've never afforded a trip to such a place.

I know a lot of people say, "Visit before you live there." And I always wonder, what type of money they're making to even visit another country and what type of a job they have where they can take off so much time at one time to stay long enough to do something, like these people that take month-long vacations. I couldn't even imagine being allowed something like that, then again, vacation (paid) is a luxury...one I've never had.
I had to sell everything I owned to get a plane ticket to Japan. It was like a hippy garage sale. But I found work with an english school before going, with a one year contract. It turned into over three years and now I'm older and economically stable enough to visit sometimes.

Where there's a will, there's a way. but you gotta work for it. there's a happy medium between a two week vacation and moving there for good.
(#17 (permalink))
Old
ChisaChi (Offline)
JF Old Timer

06-23-2008, 06:34 AM

I managed to pay for my holiday to Japan without too much trouble or panicked saving... but I guess I'm lucky in that I live with my parents so don't have to pay for rent, food, bills etc, and as a contractor my work is fairly flexible (although no paid holidays).

I definitely think checking the place out before moving there is a good idea though - as much as a holiday costs, the cost of moving to another country, deciding you don't like it and moving home again is more.

chisa@flickr - photos
ChiGarden - blog
chisa.deviantart - art + crafts
(#18 (permalink))
Old
SSJup81 (Offline)

Send a message via ICQ to SSJup81 Send a message via AIM to SSJup81 Send a message via MSN to SSJup81 Send a message via Yahoo to SSJup81 Send a message via Skype™ to SSJup81
06-23-2008, 07:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul11 View Post
I had to sell everything I owned to get a plane ticket to Japan. It was like a hippy garage sale. But I found work with an english school before going, with a one year contract. It turned into over three years and now I'm older and economically stable enough to visit sometimes.

Where there's a will, there's a way. but you gotta work for it. there's a happy medium between a two week vacation and moving there for good.
I agree with you in that regard, but since I have the will, just no way, my best bet is to stay there through some other means, and my best bet, for the moment, is JET or some other program similar to it. At least I'd get an idea what it's like to live there through that. Staying for a year, I should learn plenty. ^_^

I'd never want to up and leave here and move to another country without actually living there temporarily and not there as if I am on a vacation.

Oh, my folks could probably visit a place like Japan now, if they saved up the money to go. My mother and father have timeshare...although, for the locations they can go to (which have lots of locations), with the resort paid for or rented, or whatever, Japan, surprisingly, isn't even on the list of places. Other Asian countries are, but no Japan. My mother was shocked at that. She was like, if I ever ended up in Japan, they could just use their time share resort stuff to visit and have a place to stay.
(#19 (permalink))
Old
SSJup81 (Offline)

06-23-2008, 07:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChisaChi View Post
I managed to pay for my holiday to Japan without too much trouble or panicked saving... but I guess I'm lucky in that I live with my parents so don't have to pay for rent, food, bills (school, car, car maintenance, gas) etc, and as a contractor my work is fairly flexible (although no paid holidays).
I live with my parents and have to pay rent, food, bills (school; car; car maintenance; student loan), etc.
Quote:
I definitely think checking the place out before moving there is a good idea though - as much as a holiday costs, the cost of moving to another country, deciding you don't like it and moving home again is more.
Yep, and JET's going to be my way...well, if I get in that is and I hope I do. ^^

Last edited by SSJup81 : 06-23-2008 at 07:36 AM.
(#20 (permalink))
Old
Paul11 (Offline)
JF Old Timer

06-23-2008, 07:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SSJup81 View Post
I live with my parents and have to pay rent, food, bills (school; car; car maintenance; student loan), etc. Yep, and JET's going to be my way...well, if I get in that is and I hope I do. ^^
There are books and websites dedicated to finding english teacher type jobs in japan. JET's ok, but a private company was a better bet for me and some others. Look into the various companies and programs.