JapanForum.com  

LinkBack Thread Tools
(#1 (permalink))
Old
LadyRowena (Offline)
New to JF

Part-Time jobs that offer visa sponsorship? - 11-04-2008, 04:04 AM

I've been pondering the idea of moving to Japan once I complete my MBA, and I was wondering about the possibility of a part-time job that would offer visa sponsorship. Is this a wild pipe dream or do such things exist? Understandably, they would be rare.
To dispel any misconceptions, it's not laziness that prompts me to ask. I've just seen several jobs that look very attractive, but regrettably require a visa. Now, not that I have anything against marrying a Japanese man (far from it, really) I'd just like to have some options. :P
(#2 (permalink))
Old
MMM (Offline)
JF Ossan

11-04-2008, 04:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LadyRowena View Post
I've been pondering the idea of moving to Japan once I complete my MBA, and I was wondering about the possibility of a part-time job that would offer visa sponsorship. Is this a wild pipe dream or do such things exist? Understandably, they would be rare.
To dispel any misconceptions, it's not laziness that prompts me to ask. I've just seen several jobs that look very attractive, but regrettably require a visa. Now, not that I have anything against marrying a Japanese man (far from it, really) I'd just like to have some options. :P
I have never heard of a part-time job that offers a visa, but I suppose it is possible. If I remember correctly, the JET Program was 35 hours a week. Once you have that visa finding a part-time job won't be too hard.
(#3 (permalink))
Old
Sangetsu (Offline)
Busier Than Shinjuku Station

11-04-2008, 04:25 AM

Technically speaking, almost all jobs which are worked by foreigners in Japan are part time. My schedule is "officially" 29.5 hours each week (though in my case, I only work about 20 hours a week). On the other hand, most other foreigners who work "part time" usually spend about 40 hours in the office, though the books will show that they only "worked" for 29.5 of those hours.

The reason behind the part time shenanigans is that employers have to pay more for insurance and benefits for "full time" workers. Odds are, if you come to Japan to work, you'll be part time, whether you actually work part time hours or not.
(#4 (permalink))
Old
LadyRowena (Offline)
New to JF

11-04-2008, 04:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sangetsu View Post
Technically speaking, almost all jobs which are worked by foreigners in Japan are part time. My schedule is "officially" 29.5 hours each week (though in my case, I only work about 20 hours a week). On the other hand, most other foreigners who work "part time" usually spend about 40 hours in the office, though the books will show that they only "worked" for 29.5 of those hours.

The reason behind the part time shenanigans is that employers have to pay more for insurance and benefits for "full time" workers. Odds are, if you come to Japan to work, you'll be part time, whether you actually work part time hours or not.
If I may ask, what do you work as?
Also, thanks to both of you for your replies. ^_^
(#5 (permalink))
Old
jasonbvr (Offline)
TrixR4Kidz

11-04-2008, 09:24 AM

They simply don't exist because in order for a company to sponsor your visa they must show to immigration that you will make a livable wage each month. I believe the bottom end of that is 190k yen per month.
(#6 (permalink))
Old
Hotaru100 (Offline)
Little bit difficult

Send a message via MSN to Hotaru100 Send a message via Yahoo to Hotaru100 Send a message via Skype™ to Hotaru100
Thumbs up 11-04-2008, 10:46 AM

hmmm..
I think there is nothing left to say,

So I just ask you LadyRowena a Best of Luck in Japan.

(#7 (permalink))
Old
Sangetsu (Offline)

11-06-2008, 01:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LadyRowena View Post
If I may ask, what do you work as?
Also, thanks to both of you for your replies. ^_^
I'm a high school English teacher. The pay is not lavish, but I enjoy the work very much.
(#8 (permalink))
Old
Sangetsu (Offline)

11-06-2008, 01:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jasonbvr View Post
They simply don't exist because in order for a company to sponsor your visa they must show to immigration that you will make a livable wage each month. I believe the bottom end of that is 190k yen per month.
As I mentioned, almost all jobs which employ foreigners in Japan are part-time (at least, technically). There is a minimum salary requirement, and 190k yen is the bottom line for part-time work.

English teaching is part time, period. The pay varies from 200k to 300k, depending on your employer. If you work more than 29.5 hours per week, you'll be paid more (unless you work for one of those employers who like to rip their teachers off, so keep track of your hours, and keep hard copies of your time slips or teaching records).

Labor laws (like immigration laws) are among those which are strictly enforced in Japan.