JapanForum.com  

LinkBack Thread Tools
(#11 (permalink))
Old
bELyVIS (Offline)
JF Old Timer

02-06-2009, 05:52 PM

I was injured on the job in Japan. After that the manager told the Japanese employees to say I wasn't following the rules when I was injured (I was. This was discrimination because I saw many Japanese employees injured while clearly braking the rules and they were taken care of.). The honest employees quit ( 6 of them) the rest went along with it. I saw a attorney there and he told me point blank "A foreigner would never win in a Japanese court". I still have bad feelings against Japanese companies and would never work for one again.

The World's only Belly Dancing Elvis Impersonator!
(#12 (permalink))
Old
alanX (Offline)
The Psychedelic Traveler

Send a message via Skype™ to alanX
02-06-2009, 06:09 PM

There's racism and discrimination no matter where you are. I'm American, and in America I obviously don't experience rasism. But during my four year stay in Hokkaido, there was this one old man, who said some pretty racist things towards America, but that was the only incident.

猿も木から落ちる
(#13 (permalink))
Old
Sinestra (Offline)
ショ ン

Send a message via AIM to Sinestra Send a message via Yahoo to Sinestra
02-06-2009, 07:45 PM

So heres a question for everyone. Has anyone who happens to be American but not of Caucasian decent experienced any discrimination or racism in Japan? Such Latino American, Black American ect ect.

This question can also be posed for our European members as well who are not Caucasian.

(#14 (permalink))
Old
burkhartdesu (Offline)
JF Old Timer

02-06-2009, 09:59 PM

Well, the wee-bit of racism I may/may not have experienced in Japan (because I'm not sure if she just had a bad day) was with an Indian-American friend of mine who was overweight and had obvious dark skin against my stark-whiteness.

I have a feeling the lady was being prejudice towards him rather than me, as she was mainly making eye contact with him, and mainly attacking him with the broom-- lol.

(I'll try to post a picture of him, but I'd hate to do that in case he stumbled upon this forum and saw that I called him overweight )
(#15 (permalink))
Old
burkhartdesu (Offline)
JF Old Timer

02-06-2009, 10:03 PM

I also had another incident where a cab driver continually harassed me about Gas prices- which were a result of the war in Iraq, and inevidably the fault of all Americans.

I then explained to him that I was a Kanada-jin  Even though I'm American as apple pie! We then enjoyed a pleasant America-bashing conversation.

And one of my friends (Same one shoo'd by the broom) was told to "SHUT UP!" by a cab driver who was obviously lost/frustrated and couldn't handle whispering in back.